Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: Which .308 rifle would you buy if you could only have one for a multi function rife? Choices are FN FAL ... AR 10 ... Saiga.

I thought about the Cetme but the ones coming in from Century are crap IMO and others opinions it seems. The PTR or PT (i think thats it) seem like the only good quality ones but are pricey due to quality. Things to consider: Price, Mag availability/price, quality, ease of finding parts, accuracy without scope (iron sights), reliability, overall ease of use. My thinking on prices are about $600 for Saiga, $900 for AR 10 (DPMS), $1200 FAL -metric (DSA).

Basically I want a full power, semi auto battle rifle. Also as far as the Saiga goes, I would plan on installing Tech Sights. I know the cover they included wouldn't work but I will cut/grind the stock cover. I plan on running iron sights which is why I mention the saiga. If I did run a scope it would either be a red dot, or low-fixed power optic so I am not looking for ubber - pin point accuracy.

Please let me know what you all think. I have read lots of threads on each of these rifles but none really comparing them. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it really depends on your terrain. if your in open terrain,and there is a need for a weapon that has long range accuracy i think i would lean more to the FAL or AR10.

if you live in terrain of dense forrest and the need is for penatration then the saiga 308 will surve you well :thumb:

·
Sekrit Skwerl
76 Posts
The PTR will run you less than the FAL (picked up mine for $1100), the mags are dirt cheap, and it is a fricken tank. I love it. If you are on a tight budget, the Saiga looks like a good deal.

·
It is what it is
793 Posts
I realize that you have attempted to restrict this thread to semi-auto paramilitary type rifles, but I have to say that the Remington 700 is the best .308 rifle. Once you get comfortable with the bolt action, you can reload and fire at a fairly quick and accurate rate.

But, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I'd go with the Springfield Armory M1A1 for a .308/7.62 semi.

Here's the deal: Which .308 rifle would you buy if you could only have one for a multi function rife? Choices are FN FAL ... AR 10 ... Saiga.

I thought about the Cetme but the ones coming in from Century are crap IMO and others opinions it seems. The PTR or PT (i think thats it) seem like the only good quality ones but are pricey due to quality. Things to consider: Price, Mag availability/price, quality, ease of finding parts, accuracy without scope (iron sights), reliability, overall ease of use. My thinking on prices are about $600 for Saiga, $900 for AR 10 (DPMS), $1200 FAL -metric (DSA).

Basically I want a full power, semi auto battle rifle. Also as far as the Saiga goes, I would plan on installing Tech Sights. I know the cover they included wouldn't work but I will cut/grind the stock cover. I plan on running iron sights which is why I mention the saiga. If I did run a scope it would either be a red dot, or low-fixed power optic so I am not looking for ubber - pin point accuracy.

Please let me know what you all think. I have read lots of threads on each of these rifles but none really comparing them. Thanks!!!

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I don't own a 308 but have looked at them quite a bit lately.
All three rifles you mentioned are very fine indeed. You may also want to consider the Remington 750 woodsmaster.

But for what's it worth I would go with the Saiga.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
The FAL is the most battle tested. AR10 is pricey, but should perform well enough for an AR. Saiga is nice, based on tried and true Slavtech, but the mags are pricy and can be hard to find.

I'd LOVE a FAL

·
Registered
346 Posts
The FAL is the most battle tested. AR10 is pricey, but should perform well enough for an AR. Saiga is nice, based on tried and true Slavtech, but the mags are pricy and can be hard to find.

I'd LOVE a FAL
I agree with you, but I might add that the AK platform is well tested to the extent that adapting it to .308 yielded a robust, accurate platform. I'm even willing to say it's every bit as robust and accurate as a stock FAL.

That said, I'd love a FAL as well. Actually, I'd like a collection of FALs. Maybe if I EVER feel like I've acquired enough preps....

I missed the roll call with the FAL, M1A, etc. I remember in '99 a colleague started building FALs from kits. He wanted me to go in with him. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

AKs and SKS's were cheap back then.

I bought a Saiga in a (shocking) departure from the AR. Sure, S308 mags are expensive, but you buy a quality magazine only once, so I'll collect a few. Besides, the price may drop once they've recouped their investment.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I only have a Saiga so I can't comment about the others.

I would dismiss whichever rifle has a less than 20" barrel when shooting .308 Win. The Saiga comes in 16" and 22" flavors and I opted for 22" for ballistics and hitting power. :)

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
ARMALITE AR-10 hands down,it is a modular system and completly adjustible for ergonomics,FAL's suck in this regard.........

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I'm going to have to agree that a FAL is more price heavy than a PTR. $.99 for mags is about as cheap as it gets.

A FAL is a lovely weapon but can be expensive and not so ergonomical and magazines can run from $10 to $30. Which isn't bad. But it's still a $1000+ rifle. Fine rifle but for my personaly its a bit too thin and uncomfortable.

A PTR is also a $1000+ rifle but magazines are dirt cheap for 20 rounders. I've seen them for $.79 at gun shows and online from $2 to $.99. Plus hand guards and dress up kits are fairly cheap. Found stock sets for $20. But there have been known issues with chewed up brass and sticky flutes.

An AR-10 is basically a souped up AR-15. So you get all the fun jamming and dirty bolt problems that you could get from the ar-15. Again this depends on your enviorment. If you are looking for a range gun it's good. Or a spring time hunting rifle, fine. But cold weather and desert sand will kill this platform. But if you are in the right conditions you should be fine with it. There is a reason the military doesn't use AR-10's

A Saiga is your basic AK cheap and industructable. But if you plan on converting add another $100 or so to the price tag. Depending on what you want to add. Parts can be found anywhere. But magazines run from $40 to $60 from what I've seen. And have also herd that they may not work or cause jams. But for the price it's a fine .308 rifle. And runs the cheapest (pre conversion) than the other rifles.

In short. How much money you want to spen on a rifle? A lot? Or minimal and buy a crap ton of ammo?

I would go with cheap and as much ammo as I could. 308-7.62x51 isn't the cheapest ammo out there. So keep that in mind to.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I'd go AR-10 (scoped) for long range shooting, sniping and hunting wild animals. I'd go with a FAL for reliability, use in dirty, wet and cold weather environments. All guns have their pluses and minuses. For an all-round rifle I would have to consider a FAL with a scope mounted on it for general duty if I were going .308/7.62 NATO. But my most preferred choice would be an M-1A scoped.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
AR10 for a very simple reason--I can carry another upper/barrel in a totally different calibre for extreme versatility...

My issue weapon during basic/advanced training was the FN-FAL and they kick like a mule due to abysmal stock design, have probably the worst sights of any battle rifle ever made, the ergonomics are designed for a 6'4"er's arm span, a pain in the butt to keep clean in the field, overly heavy, a very long, whippy, barrel and they aren't very accurate--other then that they're great...

The Saiga is just an AK is funny clothes and while the operating system is very robust and nearly foolproof they have never been noted for accuracy of any kind and forget pinpoint altogether...With the longer barrel they would be my second choice and first choice for budget concerns...

I'd also give consideration to the M1/M14 and to the FN SCAR Mk17 but the one I truly wish for is the new FNAR -- the BAR based rifle...

How many magazines are you going to be carrying with you? Are you going to expect to repel hordes of looters or zombies? Carrying ten for two hundred rounds means that you can't carry much else before weight becomes a problem and what the Hell are you going to use two hundred rounds on--on that trip? Oh, of course, when you bug out but loose packed ammo is a lot lighter because you don't have the extra weight of the steel casing of the magazine...Mags cost what mags cost and if you're going to base your decision on that then there is a slight flaw in your logic...Sure I can buy cheap mil-surp mags for an inaccurate rifle or a few quality mags for a very accurate one...but regardless, I won't ever be carrying more then a couple of extra mags primarily for redundancy as I can always reload the existing one when the spare is in the gun...

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
This is a easy one

Find someone who has each and shoot them. Find out what you want. Me I stick with fals all the way. I think they are more reliable then the others and I have had just about all thats available. My second choice would be a Springfeild M1a . But find out what you want.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
My first choice would be an M1A, but from the list I'd say the Saiga, given I can readily find 20 round mags for it. The ergonomics of the Kalashnikov series just agrees with me more than the FAL and given that the AR is gas impingement operated, I'd expect it to jam more than the others.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
No contest. The Belgian FN FAL!

-Excellent reliability and adaptability to almost any ammunition (love Portuguese)
-Cheapest mags of all battle rifles. Still less than 20 dollars for steel ones.
-Excellent ergonomics and controls ( I have never seen a shooter who didn't like them, they fit nearly anyone.)
-Many options and configurations
-Belgian guns are a cut above ANY battle rifle ever made.

AR-10's are weak in comparison but with careful maintenance they are good guns with excellent handling and accuracy. Saigas are ok (mags $$$) but I would rather have a match Garand and 200 clips.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I either have or have had all of the weapons mentioned so far except for the PTR. Of all of them, I still currently have 2 FALs, if that speaks to my preferences. =)

I don't understand what folks are saying about the ergonomics of the FAL. As a right-hander, I absolutely LOVE being able to perform corrective actions and mag-swaps both with my left hand without my right leaving its firing position.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
If cost is the most important issue, I'd go with a Saiga. They're as tough, reliable and accurate as a FAL but cost less. The FAL is my personal favorite because it fits me and I shoot better with it. It's also plenty rugged. If accuracy is the most important criteria, the the AR is probably the gun for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the responses so far! I totally forgot the M1A (M14? semi), but I guess that was only because they would be pretty much out of the reach of my budget. I could be wrong, but I also thought the M14 was temper mental in adverse conditions? I know its based on the Garand platform and its tried and true. Would you say that the M1A is better then the AR10 in regards to reliability? BTW, I would plan on keeping the Saiga in stock format. As far as mags go, I personally like to have at least 5 to 10 for any given semi auto platform. This, IMO, allows you to switch out mags if they are junk, break, get lost (no, I have never lost a mad, lol :) ), and allows to have plenty to load up and have fun at the range! Please keep the thoughts coming and experience on the various platforms!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait a second... If I inserted a "hi-cap" mag into a stock saiga that would make it illegal and I would have to play the 922 game, correct? Arghh!!! Oh well, I guess if thats the case add that to the price of the Saiga...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts