Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this caliber? Its supposed to be almost as good as a 308, but in a lever action rifle.

With a market already saturated with different rounds and calibers, do we really need yet another cartridge?

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
why not another? if i were looking to standerdize on a caliber this one would be as good as any....the drawback being bullits that hornaday makes for the loading are not as of yet available to the reloader....on the otherhand marlin 95's are tough as barn nails come in stainless and would make a fine survival rifle without the stigma attached to the the black rifles,could be important if on the move in a vehicle and johny law spots it.........

i suppose the time is coming for serius survivalists to standerdize on weapons and caliber for individual needs....what i mean is...one or two calibers should suffice for any situation....one caliber preferred and many weapons shooting the same cartrige....therefore two or three 95 marlins chambered in 308 marlin with sufficient ammo stocks would be hard to beat...top these rifles with a good reddot and the effect would be devastating on game or for defence....and we should'nt forget leveractions have been defending homes and familys in this country for well over a hundred years..........

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Why didn't they just MAKE the rifle for .308 Winchester in the first place? BLR has a model in .308.

But the big issue I see with not making them in 308 is most of the lever gun market in in guns with tubular magazines that pretty much neccesitate flat point bullets. With the .308's much higher velocities this would most likely require sturdier built flat tips as the ones designed for use in the 30-30 would probably not hold up too well, especially at the fairly close ranges the lever gun is typically used in.

But your right there is a awful lot of redundency and duplication in ammounition chamberings these days. The .356 is little more than the 358 Winchester, the .307 is little more than a 308, 450 Marlin vs 45-70 although I can certianly understand the manufactures wanting to avoid having shooters use their hot loaded 45-70 ammunition in guns that can handle the high pressure loadings. But its much easier for a manufacture to make a new round that can be added as another chambering to an existing platform than it is to invest time and money and research and development and then market a whole nother platform that may or may not catch on in the market place.

two or three 95 marlins chambered in 308 marlin with sufficient ammo stocks would be hard to beat...top these rifles with a good reddot and the effect would be devastating on game or for defence....and we should'nt forget leveractions have been defending homes and familys in this country for well over a hundred years..........
I think you got a good point there, as such while they dont make the coolest mutant zombie zappers I dont think a survivalist should over look a lever action as a survival firearm. Its not quiet as fast as a semi auto FAL but it certianly pack a good bit of reasonably fast fire power. They arent usually the target of gun control laws and they certianly will draw a lot less attention than one of those "black evil rifles". They are usually on the light side weight wise, compact and pretty handy for a wide range of duties. Ghost ring sight or a Red Dot sight woukld certianly make them quick to get on target even if its moving! Simple and robust designs make for a gun that has a whole lot going for it....

There is nothing more that I would like to see than the Savage 99 in stainless steel re-introduced in .308 Winchester!!!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean Blue...with its classical sleek clean lines...if only they would start making them again, Id be first in line for sure! If I could only be so lucky as to find one on the used gun rack in 308 I would sell my soul for it in a heart beat!!!

I wonder how many times the staff at savage get hit with this one on peoples wish list wanting them to make it again?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I think there is a 307 Winchester, for tubular lever actions, that is basically a 308 winchester with a rimmed case.
I also like the Savage 1899's.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Yes in my box of trading stock I have a bx of new/empty 307 win. I bought it for a dollar. In my collection is a Savage 99/308 win. the old f*rts around here love em because they hang from a saddle so well and have power enough for elk. I saw one in Salmon, Idiho for $450 and almost bought it. I paid $250 for mine 30 years ago and never regreted it, though the 99 will never shoot as well as a bolt action. The Marlin lever will not handle the 308win (55,000 PSI) hence the new, un-needed, round. If you need a 308 lever buy a used Savage or one of those over priced POS Brownings BLRs from 35 years ago.
BTW the old 300 Savage Mod 99's were near a close match to the 308 win. that is not to say you should rechamber one of those old rifles.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With all the replies, we have listed 300 savage, 307, 308, 358 winchester, 45-70 and the new 308 marlin express.

How many different calibers do you really need to shoot deer, elk or moose?

If I were to buy a round close to the 308 express, I would just go ahead and buy a 30-30 or a 308. At least them I would be for sure I can find ammunition for my rifle.

Why these companies put out so many different calibers, I do not know.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Case in point; my dad bought a Winchester Model 70 in .243 Winchester Short Magnum. What did Winchester do right afterwards? Stop making rifles. Luckily, he ditched it for a S&W M & P .40.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
it's the platform Kev.....this is something new to boost sales for marlin without the R-D for a new rifle platform.....the ones who really benefit from this particuler cartrige is the dedicated leveraction rifleman who wants a little more velocity and flat shooting from a new marlin which has a huge following amoung some of the hunting fraternity..............

i am all for the continuing of inovation in rifle /cartrige development....i may not make use of it but it's good to know that someone will and it does keep things intresting..........

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
I've owned 3 Marlins in 3 calibers and they are good rifles but Blue123 is right, much of this 'new caliber' stuff is just hype to sell more rifles. Gun nuts and collectors will buy new items just because they are new or perhaps the new product will fail and become a true collectors item. Just one more reason to stick to a few common calibers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts