Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you would pick for a SHTF or combat situation and why? also would you choose steel or plastic for the magazine?
Steel and perhaps a 30 max. I have 20's and 30's. The 40 round has capacity, yes, but damn can those things get in the way of quick movement. And I like steel because I can buy a 40 year old steel magazine that's still perfectly useful. Perhaps with some of the bakelite mags that can be true too, but modern plastic mags still need to pass the test of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I am assuming AK?

Circle 10 polymer are really nice and I would use those any day of the week.

Steels work just and are very strong.

I think 40 are to long, I guess if you were is a defensive position then it would be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like 30 round mags forty are way to long. But I have a 39 round tanker mag as well short. Let's me move I also have a 75 round drum wich I lik the most. A little bulky but I'll still be firing when your changing mag

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like plastic magazines, they are lighter and easier to fix. Seriously, just slap some JB weld on there and you are good to go if your magazine breaks. (Ive never had a plastic mag brake, but that is the fear of many)

I like the idea of 40 round mags. I have a ak74 and am looking forward to getting some 45 round mags. I figure it dont hurt any to be well diversed in that area. I believe one should have all of the above, 10 round mags for prone stealthy situations, all the way up to 45 rounders. It is all dependent on situation. If you are defending a hardened structure, use 45 rounders, the length dosnt matter then, just stack up sand bags a little higher. If you are outside and concerned about prove, get 20-30 rounders. It all depends on what you may or may not do.

I like the idea of more firepower, but also like the idea of being able to shoot from a rest at a range (10 round mags work best), to going out and hunting a coyote, 10 or 20 round mags, (why deal with extra wieght?).

Buy what you want and be happy, they make all of them for a reason, and its because all of them have a reason!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have both and really do like the pmags better. I have them color coded for what type of round is loaded...i.e. dark earth are m855 penetrator altering with federal tracers, black are fmj ball rounds, dark green ones have ballistic tip rounds and the metal are all tracers. It helps me keep things organized and I just like the way the pmags operate.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
For long term storage, plastic or aluminum.

Those steel ak-47 magazines have a tendency to rust if stored for more then say 10 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
30 Round Steel only in a AK or M4 They are not affected by the cold. If you’re shooting 60 or 100 rounds and needing to reload, well you’re in deep dodo and you have bigger problems. Hit the target! Pray and spray is not a tactic.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
AR or AK, most of mine are 30, but I have a handfull of 40s. Prefer aluminum when I can have that choice.

Test........test..........test.............

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to buy one of those 60rd mags, but after hearing of a few having issues with them I will wait until they get the bugs worked out.
I have a couple of the 60rd Surefire magazines and I have not had a single problem out of either one (1800rds between them) at keeping up with a RDIAS equipped AR. I have heard stories as well, but hey I got a couple of good ones I guess.:thumb:

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
My SAR3 shoots the orange mags fine even with out the drimel modification. but i like the 5.56 from circle10 the best.

·
Wish I'd taken blue pill
230 Posts
If I buy anymore AR-15 mags they will be Magpul PMAGS (windowed).

- they appear to work flawlessly in all my AR's
- overall more rugged than other 30 round mags I've tried
- i don't have to worry about feed lip metal fractures
- you can store them loaded using the dust cap they come with
- no question of humidity or damp being a problem

I have tried them all:
- original Colt factory mags,
- original Bushmaster factory mags,
- those really expensive H&K SA80 ones (they would be my 2nd choice)
- and many other metal mags by various manufacturers

Give me a PMAG anytime!

PMAGS are unique in that you can load them and put them into long term storage without constant pressure on the feed lips.

Here's a pic of some loaded ones that I vacuum sealed (added a small silica gel pack for the sake of the ammo) before packing them into a 50cal ammo can.

(no, I have no affiliation with the Magpul company!)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I say neither. My first magazine is a 20 rounder.

If you need to hold your gun for an extended period of time, the heavier it is the more tired your arms get. The more tired your arms gets, the slower your reaction time and natural aiming ability of your muscle memory. For the .223 round 20 versus 30 rounds isn't a big difference, with heavier weighted rouns, the weight adds up.

Also, what is easier to hit a 5 foot tall by 1 foot wide target, or a 6 inch tall by one foot wide target. This is the difference between shooting offhand and in the prone position.

I practice transitioning from walking to prone position quickly and then firing at a 100 yard shilouette, usualy 2 or 3 in proximity. With shorter magazines, this is much easier to get the gun initally lined up, long magazines intefere with this and you need to compensate your head elevation during this. You end of mking your body footprint a bit taller (easier sized target) and more importantly it takes longer to line up the sights and fire.

I may have a decent bunch of 30 rounders, but my inital magazines is 20 round one.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Wondering what you would pick for a SHTF or combat situation and why? also would you choose steel or plastic for the magazine?

Steel 30 rd mags for me, the 40s put too much stress on the magazine catch and spring.

Polymer mags I just never got into.

Reactions: woodtick715
1 - 20 of 23 Posts