Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard something today about 30 day primers. Our big brother it seems has developed a primer for ammo that will be useless 30 days after purchase. Supposedly this will cut down on people stocking up on ammo. Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it a myth?:eek:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Primers are loaded with mercury fulminate, surely someone can/will manufacture the long lasting primers and we will have to load our own. Firearms technology is VERY old and simple. No mater what they do, it is not that difficult to "un-do" with today's tools and techniques. Think of the tools and knowledge that existed when the colt 1911 45 auto was invented over 100 years ago (1904).

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Yea, they are making rifles with barrels that melt after 365 days too. Man I would be mad if I got one of those.

No, you will see lots of other rumors come along between now and the next "assault weapons ban". I do not know if it is the good guys when they are on the sauce or the bad guys seeing how much they can scare us.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats not funny. I have melted more than my share of barrels in the corp and they didn't last anywhere near 365 days!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I heard something today about 30 day primers. Our big brother it seems has developed a primer for ammo that will be useless 30 days after purchase. Supposedly this will cut down on people stocking up on ammo. Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it a myth?:eek:
I certainly wouldnt put it past big brother to design 30 day primers , but Im sure their are lots of little brothers out there that will be making 30 year primers in their garage.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Myth from the early nineties at least. Whoever told you this, well everything else they tell you may be suspect as well.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Thats not funny. I have melted more than my share of barrels in the corp and they didn't last anywhere near 365 days!!!!!
Sorry about the joke, I could not resist. Semper Fi by the way. It is a unique thing how once the AWB looms there will be a lot of rumors that start to circulate. Thirty day primers, runs on ammunition, import bans, etc. Some will be false, some true and some will become self fulfilling. The worst one if our new pres decides to pull it is the import restriction. He will not have to go through congress to do this. Just some shenanigans at the commerce department and he can stop the trade of guns and ammunition from outside of conus. Anyone who went through the last one can tell you, hold on tight and keep your ears on, it's gonna be a wild ride.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
from what i have read they can put a chemical in the mix for the primers to corrode but they cant get the timing down that narrow .they can get it to last like 6 months before it starts to corrode or 2 1/2 yrs before it starts. they cant get it down to the day, week, month, they can get it down to a +/- 6 month time frame like if they want it to have a 2year shelf life it might not start corrodeing anytime between 1 1/2 yrs to 2 1/2 yrs unless they haved come up with something new.so you see they cannt get down to exactly the time the wanted. and they cant make the clock start the moment you buy it, its not that exact of science

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
from what i have read they can put a chemical in the mix for the primers to corrode but they cant get the timing down that narrow .they can get it to last like 6 months before it starts to corrode or 2 1/2 yrs before it starts. they cant get it down to the day, week, month, they can get it down to a +/- 6 month time frame like if they want it to have a 2year shelf life it might not start corrodeing anytime between 1 1/2 yrs to 2 1/2 yrs unless they haved come up with something new.so you see they cannt get down to exactly the time the wanted. and they cant make the clock start the moment you buy it, its not that exact of science
From what I have read, in the Speer Manual, its impossible to do so. Anything they can do to make a primer go bad in two years will make it dead in 2 days.

·
Registered
571 Posts
From what I have read, in the Speer Manual, its impossible to do so. Anything they can do to make a primer go bad in two years will make it dead in 2 days.
Yep, that was what I read from Speer as well. Think they brought that up after the last time this rumor went around and helped cause or at least exacerbate the great primer famine of the early nineties.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Yep, that was what I read from Speer as well. Think they brought that up after the last time this rumor went around and helped cause or at least exacerbate the great primer famine of the early nineties.
True, my first thought was-"Not this crap again!!!"

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
wow. its this kind of stuff that scares me. they want to get rid of guns, but since they cant do that they attack ammo (which isnt new), but the primers? im honsetly scared of the lengths our govt. will go to to disarm us. but my question is.....why? and i want a real answer from THEM.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
thats good news . i read that a long time ago havent seen any new news, but wasnt looking either.i know they was talking about a timeing issue that made it impractical to use it

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Rabble,
I believe most commercial primers are now being produced with a compound called lead styphenate.
Peter

Reactions: Rabble

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Rabble,
I believe most commercial primers are now being produced with a compound called lead styphenate.
Peter
unless it's a corrosive primer....

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no hope for the paranoid and the ignorant. I cannot believe you have such paranoid and ignorant fears. Imagine the government even trying to get corporate cooperation for such a thing.; destroying product reliability, creating corporate liability, needing absolute secrecy. How ignorant the thought. Imagine the tracking problems and the risk of the 'spill over' into military ammo while two wars are ongoing. Do you read your post before you submit them? Are you really this scared? Perhaps your greatest efforts should be towards reading, learning and ridding yourself of such absurdity. Believe me, I am trying to help you, not insult you. When you begin to think like this you do yourself, your family , humanity and freedom the greatest disservice.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not that scared or paranoid. I simply asked a question if anyone else had heard this. I have been reloading for over 25 years and never had. I am no chemist so i don't know what they can do. I have enough reloading supplies to last a very long time. I forsee the stopping of ammo and reloading supplies to the public before they try something like that.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Until someone comes up with somemething to substanciate the claim. I would assign this bit of "primer" information to the junk pile of misinformation or Urban Legend if you prefer....:D:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts