Which has the best performance (outta the 4 here) in .30-30 winchester

The Marlin 336C.
The Marlin 336A.
The Marlin 336SS.
The Marlin 336AS.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Their all the same save that some have birch stocks versus walnut ( It doesn't matter in this regard except for looks) and flip dow sights for mounting a scope. FWIW eve if you buy a gun with non fold sights one can still mount acope with no problems. The Marlin 3366 SS is the stainless steel gun and is usaully 200-250 dollers more expensive.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best performance? That will come when you shoot the one you purchase (assuming that was what you planned to do).

Choose the one with the best price with the features you like and get some good ammo, a box of Federal, Remington and Winchester in 150gr and 170gr. By the time you're done shooting, the gun's best groups will tell you it's likes for ammo and how it (and you) performed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of them. I have a used standard model and it is built like a tank. Accurate, powerful, reliable, and sturdy.

They aren't heavy either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Marlin .3030 is actually a Mod.30AW basically it is the same as the 336C but was made by Marlin to be sold in the big retail stores like Wal Mart and K-Mart when they were still selling rifles. It shoots wonderfully and is a pleasure to carry. My favorite loads are the Federal Premium 170gr Nosler Partition, Winchester 190gr Silvertip, and Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I wonder what kind of accuracy people are getting from their 336 rifles. Mine is an older / gunshow one with a clunky weaver side mount. But it shoots right around an inch at a hundred, sometimes better.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I wonder what kind of accuracy people are getting from their 336 rifles. Mine is an older / gunshow one with a clunky weaver side mount. But it shoots right around an inch at a hundred, sometimes better.
Same here.. Mine I believe is from the late 50's.. The thing gets groups like yours and I absolutely love it.. Also cycles like butter and is so smooth and broken in..

I'd prolly opt for a well used one over a brand new one.. GREAT gun..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My favorite loads are the Federal Premium 170gr Nosler Partition, Winchester 190gr Silvertip, and Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt.

I'll have to try those in my 336ss for .30-30. I feel like n idiot, I never knew there even was a 190 grain .30-30.
What game is that most suitable for.....yes I understand the range limitations

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I have an older one and love it. great for the GF too. light, easy to carry and accurate. Not a big bulky gun.

·
Infidel/Warmonger/NeoCon
510 Posts
Got a 336W myself, Good shooter. If I am correct, the Marlin 30s have a front sight without the hood and a birch stock, but are the same action as a 336. The 336W is made for Walmart if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Got a 336W myself, Good shooter. If I am correct, the Marlin 30s have a front sight without the hood and a birch stock, but are the same action as a 336. The 336W is made for Walmart if I remember right.

Here's the Wiki paragraph about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336

Models

Marlin has also made a number of these lever-action rifles for mass marketers like Sears, Western Auto, K-Mart and Wal-Mart. These models have walnut-stained hardwood stocks (as opposed to American Walnut stocks) and were sold for significantly lower prices than standard Model 336's. Mechanically identical to the Model 336, these rifles were sold under the names Glenfield, Glenfield Marlin or Marlin as Models 30A, 30AS and 30AW. The Model 30AW package includes a gold-plated steel trigger, 3-9x32 factory-mounted scope, padded sling and offset hammer spur. It is identical to the current Marlin Model 336W. (Source Marlin Firearms) http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336W.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts