Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only rifle I own right now is a Savage 340 .30-30 bolt action. How do you think that would stack up in a long term shtf situation. I take it to the range at least once a month, so I am a pretty good shot with it. I plan on getting another when I can afford to. Maybe a .22lr that I see a lot about on the forum. Thanks!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
30/30 federal ammo is cheap at wal mart here, stock up, I love shooting my old Winchester 94. Improve your arsenal when you can.

Reactions: wldennis

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
30-30 is the classic american deer rifle cartridge. growing up in PA I dropped my share of whitetails with it.

It has approximately the same ballistics as a 7.62 x 39 (the traditional AK round).

Post SHTF rifle? Depends on your end use. 30-30 levers don't have a lot of parts that break - they are simple, robust designs - a big plus.

They are a fine game getter.

No one but the Mall Ninjas want to get into the fantasy post-apocalyptic firefight against the horde of zombies, yet should that eventuality occur, the main detracting factor of a lever action rifle is the time needed to reload its tube, as compared to a magazine fed rifle.

Still as part of your preps - great addition. Only rifle? Not my first choice...

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I'd get the Marlin 336 to compliment your bolty before I'd do the 22LR.

Once you do that, then go the 22LR route.

My grandpappy swore that 30-30 was the greatest thing since sliced bread and, it probably was back then. Even when I was a kid, a 30-30 levergun was the thing to have, usually a Winchester 1894.

Today they are still fine and the cartridge is still fine ... but you might want to eventually think about upgrading, when you have the resources. Do what feels comfortable to you and then practice with it.

The leverevolution is good ammo by the way.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
I have a savage 340. It's slow to reload and doesn't feed well from its detachable mag. It's accurate, but I would save and invest in either a lever 30/30 or something else altogether

Just my $0.02

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
After years and years of research, struggling and changing my mind,... I came full circle to 30-30 this month.

Leverevolution ammo is key, tweaking one up to fit your needs is next.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Keep it ,stock up on ammo. When you can, improve with something better.It will do the deed but lacks distance.Where you live,who you are and what you plan to do will deturmine which is the next one to buy.One is better than none.

·
Registered
450 Posts
wldennis:
You seem to be a bolt man shooting a lever action cartridge with all its inherent limitations.
I think you need to decide which tribe you fall into.
If you are really a bolt man, get a better rifle in a good caliber like (.308).
Or switch to a quality .30-30 lever gun.
I don't think you'll go wrong either way but your current set up is the worst of both worlds.
THen get a really good .22 LR with a similar style action as your heavy hitter.
Just my $0.03

·
Registered
450 Posts
AKpredator: How do those things shoot in Alaska in the winter. We have some freezing up issues here in Alberta in the winter, say around -25C. I have delubed ( as have others) and just run with graphite or even dry but it doesn't seem to help. It isn't the ammo, my freinds and I shoot biathlon ammo in deep winter. The ammo is fine but the semi-autos don't seem to like deep cold very much.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have about a half dozen .30-30's. Besides 7.62x39, it's my main caliber. You know what that rifle does.

Get the 22lr next. Marlin 60 or anything bolt action from marlin are great rifles. I have several marlin 22lr bolt action rifles. All of them make quarter sized groups at 50 yards. They go for about $175-250 range.

If you really like the .30-30 and are comfortable with the range capabilities, then stick with it. In NY, rarely does a deer present itself in a situation beyond 200 yards, especially during rifle season.

A decent step up would be an SKS or a saiga rifle. the saiga can be had for about $350 new. When you get some more money save up, it can be converted to a regular AK-47 for about $100-150 more. Very affordable to shoot and own. another alternative is a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. Quick repeat shot, aim is a bit forgiving with buckshot, and a very effective and powerful ammunition.

In all reality, conforntations will be close. Well with-in pistol range. The next best step in the context of this website would be a handgun of some sort. 9mm or 38 special can be affordable to own and shoot. 22lr pistol would be nice, but I would focus on something with some power. 44 magnum or other heavy shooting calibers aren't good to learn with. Bad habits come in quick.

The best bet is to stay low as possible. Food, water, and seclusion offer much better safety than anything you'll find in a gun shop.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
AKpredator: How do those things shoot in Alaska in the winter. We have some freezing up issues here in Alberta in the winter, say around -25C. I have delubed ( as have others) and just run with graphite or even dry but it doesn't seem to help. It isn't the ammo, my freinds and I shoot biathlon ammo in deep winter. The ammo is fine but the semi-autos don't seem to like deep cold very much.
use motor oil instead of your reg gun oil and you wont run into the freezing problems

Reactions: Alberta Mike

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The Russians in WWII used a blend of, as I recall, gasoline and either gun oil or motor oil, for their rifles to prevent the oil from freezing. Naturally I wouldn't recommend gasoline inside of a firearm in of it's own merit, but I'd opt to check this gasoline/oil mixture that the Russian's used first, whatever they did it seemed to work. Of course we are talking about Russian winters!

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
I doubt motor oil would work consistently in deep cold. We use a variety of lubes in our wind turbines and they all jell when the mercury huddles in the base of the thermometer. They may not actually freeze, but they will inhibit moving parts in all mechanical devices.
Like Alberta Mike said; graphite, or dry, is probably the best a person can do with guns when it gets really cold.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In all reality, conforntations will be close. Well with-in pistol range. The next best step in the context of this website would be a handgun of some sort. 9mm or 38 special can be affordable to own and shoot. 22lr pistol would be nice, but I would focus on something with some power. 44 magnum or other heavy shooting calibers aren't good to learn with. Bad habits come in quick.
In addition to the .30-30, I have a S&W Sigma 9mm, 12 ga. over/under, and a .25 acp.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I use synthetic gun oil only on all my guns.

As long as you keep them dry and let them adjust to the cold before shooting them, they seem to do okay. Firing pins, springs and magazines need to be ket spotless and dry. Ammo quality in 22 LR is always a factor. I hunt with CCI Standard Velocity (Green Tag seconds). Bringing a warm gun outside and shooting them will make them "sweat" and they lock up in seconds after you stop. Same can happen bringing them indoors. They can develop rust and corrosion in hours.

That in mind, not many things work very well in the extreme cold. One exception is my Steyr AUG, which was made for harsh climate, so it's my go to gun in the winter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.