Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rebel Scum
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently acquired a 30-30 lever gun . But I have a small problem! I cant find ammo anywhere. they're is one sight that says they have some for $2.50 per round. that's 338 lupul money . Does any one know some hidden gem of a site that might have some 30-30 ammo? I would like to keep it under $2.00 a round.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,598 Posts
So I recently acquired a 30-30 lever gun . But I have a small problem! I cant find ammo anywhere. they're is one sight that says they have some for $2.50 per round. that's 338 lupul money . Does any one know some hidden gem of a site that might have some 30-30 ammo? I would like to keep it under $2.00 a round.
Go down the list and click links. Most is probably sold out but good luck.

·
reluctant sinner
17,446 Posts
You should load your own. 30-30 with cast bullets doesn't give up much from factory ammo. Lyman bullet mold 311041 works great. Lyman 310 System with optional bullet sizer and tap in full length case sizer will allow you to use range brass, The complete tooling will fit in your pocket and can be found on ebay.

This in my 45-70 set. Big spoon and stick for casting not shown. Steel handle that takes the insert - rare and expensive.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
30-30 was made for cast projecitles. 150 gr flat nose will work just fine, it does in mine. round nose but I have a bolt action 30-30 so I can use them and I get a bit more accuracy and velocity. Remember cast projectiles are best kept below 2100 fps. We are not allowed lead projectiles so I hunt with a Hornady projectile. I use an RCBS or Lee die set as I have both. I crimp with a Lee factory crimp. Brass has been availble from several online dealers. Plan "B" hit a couple of gun shows and scrounge.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have seen some 30/30 308 3006 and some others locally but they are all 37 bucks a box .
To rich for my blood , but I have a 6 boxes .
I did by cases and a mold to cast 3030 173 grain 313 diameter projectiles .

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in a suburban area. Fleet Farm usually has a few boxes and not much else whenever I go there. If I drive an hour out to more rural areas there are small bait shops and gun shops that usually have it too.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,518 Posts
It's a fine old cartridge! What brand did you get? I never seem to hang onto one, but what a great gun for affordable all around shooting and hunting!

I have a Lee Reloader, and also regular Lee dies for it. Along with a Lee Hand Press and RCBS Rockchucker.

I recommend getting some reloading gear, and a bucket. Have found the bucket one of the finest pieces of reloading gear made! Bring the bucket to wherever people shoot, and you can collect piles and piles of once fired 30-30 (among others) free for the scrounging.

You'll need the regular dies for scrounged brass, as it will need to be full length resized to ensure it'll chamber easily in yours, first.

·
2,518 Posts
30-30 was made for cast projecitles. 150 gr flat nose will work just fine, it does in mine. round nose but I have a bolt action 30-30 so I can use them and I get a bit more accuracy and velocity. Remember cast projectiles are best kept below 2100 fps. We are not allowed lead projectiles so I hunt with a Hornady projectile. I use an RCBS or Lee die set as I have both. I crimp with a Lee factory crimp. Brass has been availble from several online dealers. Plan "B" hit a couple of gun shows and scrounge.
30-30 might be a little high pressure without a gas check. It's the pressure that erodes the base, not the speed.

Lee Reloading 2nd Edition has a good chapter and guide on hardnesses needed for pressures.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Best place to find 30-30? In your ammo storage, in a can or 3 that you filled up over the last decade.

Really...NO WAY would I buy (or take in trade) any gun at this time, that I don't already have ammo for, unless I got a SCREAMING good deal.
A $500 win Model 94 is close to that...but not really my cup of tea.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
30-30 might be a little high pressure without a gas check. It's the pressure that erodes the base, not the speed.

Lee Reloading 2nd Edition has a good chapter and guide on hardnesses needed for pressures.
I put a gas check on all of my rifle projectiles. Handloader magazine has had several great articles on cast projectiles. The hit hard on my myth of harder is better.

·
Learning
6,625 Posts
All you folks suggesting that these guys who can't find ammo should get into reloading...are you for real? Reloading components are more difficult to come by than ammo and are at crazy all time highs!

30-30...if you don't have and need it, expect to pay $2 per shot. It is what it is at this point. I have 15 or so boxes as I have 1 rifle for it. Not a lot, but it is by no means a primary defensive rifle for me. It's kind of like 7th or 8th string for me. For lever action I'd much rather shoot a .44 mag (higher capacity magazine) and I have 2 of those rifles and a lot of .44mag ammo.

·
2,518 Posts
I put a gas check on all of my rifle projectiles. Handloader magazine has had several great articles on cast projectiles. The hit hard on my myth of harder is better.
No, I think you are correct on people going crazy on hardness. Gas checking is the way to go with the higher pressure loads. My assumption was on bullet erosion due to unchecked bullets.

Did not think of terminal performance, and you are likely right on the speed in that case.

2100 fps for a 170 or 180 cast is nothing to sneeze at, and handily eclipses the earliest 30-30 loads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts