Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna get a remmy 700 sps .270 or 30-06. i plan on hunting larger game maybe moose. if theres a different caliber i should get tell me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I doubt you could go wrong. Personally, I prefer .30 caliber cartridges because of the bullet selection. Moose aren't hard to kill, at 300 yards it won't care which one you used.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
270 shoots a touch flatter, 30-06 has a better selection of preloaded bulletweights, and if you hand load can out do the 270 due to an even greater bullet selection... .284 is 7mm so 270 is sub 7mm in diameter and .30 or.308 either or is 7.62 mm roughly speaking, to give you an idea for easy comparisons. So if I recall correctly 270 is somewhere around 6.5 mm... but I need to double check that...
.270 is 6.8 mm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow… you have resurrected the only argument that has been going on longer than 9mm vs 45, revolver vs semi-auto, iron sights vs scopes and probably even Ford vs Chevy. It started in the 30’s and keep shooters & hunters entertained for decades. It was never really settled; it just kinda died out when magnums were discovered.

·
Stercus accidit
10 Posts
30-06 springfield all the way. packs enough punch to make sure what ever your shooting at stays down. but I do aggree with palladin, .308 winchester is a good one too...

·
Registered
61 Posts
270 is my personnel choice from experience. I was out hunting caribou and shot two of them at just over 400 yards and the 270 did great with a NP bullet. I will not ever get ride of that gun. For moose I use a 338 mag only because while hunting moose there are also brown and black bears and I would rather hit those with a sledge hammer if need be. IMHO

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
You may want to consider 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag. Better to have a little more power than a little less than you need.

·
Banned
630 Posts
There are three rifle calibers you can find at just about any country store...they are 30-30 winchester, 30-06 and 22lr....For this reason alone I would go For 30-06...But I also prefer 30-06 to a 270. simply because of the wide range of bullet weights you can find for 30-06..Also the 30-06 can adequately kill any game in North America including the big bears with the right weight ammunition, the .270 just isnt as versatile...

·
Registered
410 Posts
30.36 vs .270

In most of my big game hunting (whitetail mainly), I prefer the .270 round. It is a flatter shooting round, and I like the knockdown power of that fast paced bullet. I love both of my 30.06 rifles, do not get me wrong. I just think they are your grandpa's rifle of yesterday. There are alot of great calibers available that have great knockdown power, and a variaty of loads that can perform well with each rifle. I would do a little research on the different calibers as they pertain to the main game you will be hunting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 270 is a popular cartridge out here in the west where 300+ yard shots are common, but I would agree that the venerable 30-06 is the more desirable cartridge for the survivalist due to its versatility and availability. Either one would be a good choice though.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
im gonna get a remmy 700 sps .270 or 30-06. i plan on hunting larger game maybe moose. if theres a different caliber i should get tell me.

" Theres is no stupid question " ..................................................but clem has come up with some that push the edge of the envelope .......:xeye:

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I say it all depends on where you are going to be hunting. If you are going

to be in a more wooded area, then the 30-06 will have an easier time pushing

through the thicket. On the other hand out in like Wyoming where you need

to be able to push 300+ yards with no problem, the .270 is the way to go

without a shadow of a doubt. I personally have a .270 and love every bit

of it, and do live down here in the Georgia woods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts