Survivalist Forum banner

would you be in the market for a 30-06 pistol?

• yes

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • no

Votes: 63 80.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some of us have seen the prototype 50 BMG hangun so I was thinking...wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to shoot a 30-06 Springfield pistol? Then you could pretty much use the 30-06 round across the board.

Reactions: ActionJackson

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
The recoil would be just about unmanagable from a 30-06 in a handgun platform. I wouldn't even want to think what the .50BMG would be like.

I would think the 30-06 would be more recoil than the 600 nitro.

Reactions: Idaho

·
Registered
871 Posts
TC Encore makes a single shot pistol in 30-06 springfield it has condiderable recoil but it's not a monster that's going to break your wrist, i fired the Encore in 30-06 in it's pistol configuration and it's no wroth then firing a .44magmum with hot loaded 300grains.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got to thinking...the gun would probably have to be so big it wouldn't be practical to conceal carry anyways:confused:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have a neighbor who has a 45-70 revolver and it nearly killed my arm shooting the thing. no way I want something like a 30-06 with a short barrel.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
a pistol in 30-06 seems like a waste. the round will never reach its full potential in that short of a barrel .velocity,range etc. Ones money would be better spent on a big caliber wheels gun like a .44mag or a .454 casull.

Reactions: bert the turtle

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,326 Posts
What about the loss of availability of certain types or classifications of ammo when a production "pistol" is available in a particular caliber?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
that's why you stock up and have common caliber guns too.
.22, .45, 9mm

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
if you showed me some cheap 30-06 :( to expensive to waste :( i wouldnt trust it with my life but its good for a laugh or two :) lol they heed something like the ruger charger in 30-06.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
I've owned Encore rifle set ups and pistol ones. Those and the Contender have been out for more than a few years.

The pistol set up's I owned were a .308Win barrel and a .454Casull barrel.

I owned them for handgun hunting deer.

There is no wondermus thing about shooting them if held properly.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't see the point since the majority of powder will never burn, there has to be a limit to the amount of energy vs barrel length. Sound about as dumb as a 50BMG pistol......

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Dumb? Maybe only to the ignorant. Though I sense another pearls before swine event looming I'll procede anyway.

There is such a thing called reloading.

Most handgun hunters I know reload. That tends to let you select the best burn rate of powder for caliber and barrel length.

Given though you can only do so much with any one combo in a pistol.

Let's do a simple Apple to Orange comparison with a rilfe round .308Win. in a pistol and a pistol round .357Mag in a rifle.

We will use fairly close bullet weights 158grJHP for the .357Mag and 165grSP for the .308Win.,.

In looking in my Lyman #48 Reloading Handbook we have the following:

.357 Magnum: The very best max load veloctiy is 1774-fps using 14.9grs of AA #9 powder out of a 20"bbl Winchester 94.

.308 Winchester: The very best max load velocity is 2484-fps using 47.0grs of N150 powder out of a 15"bbl T/C Encore. That put's it in the base load range for it in the rifle section of the Handbook. Not too shabby for a pistol eh?

Now it could be said that it's unfair as the 20" rifle length barrel might slow down the pistol round. True and you might be able to get an optimized length barrel for a either a registered SBR or an Encore pistol and maybe get a velocity between 1800-1900fps for the .357Mag.,. But I just used common barrel lengths in both platforms as examples and in calibers I am familar with.

Whether or not this means a rat's ass to anyone here I could care less. The main point for a handgun hunter is a combo of accurate shot placement and enough energy to get the cleanest kill possible. After he has honed his shooting skill to make a shot like that.

I would tend however not to use a single shot hunting handgun in an all out survival situation. Due to human factors such as stress, fatigue, injury or illness a steadier platform like a 16"bbl light weight carbine in .308 Win. might make a better choice.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Ok, some of us have seen the prototype 50 BMG hangun so I was thinking...wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to shoot a 30-06 Springfield pistol? Then you could pretty much use the 30-06 round across the board.
I think it would be pretty cool. It would have to be built in such a way as to manage the kick but even Dirty Harry would be envious.:D:

How about the .600 Nitro Pistol??? LOL

Reactions: Idaho

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an Encore in .308 and I would rather shoot it then my Redhawk with full power 44mag. loads.The 15'' barrel and scope on the Encore make it almost a puussycat to shoot,hell even my 100lb sister-in-law shoots it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It kicks alot less then a 20ga.It's really not that bad if you're use to shooting something in the magnum class.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,677 Posts
I have an Encore in .308 and I would rather shoot it then my Redhawk with full power 44mag. loads.The 15'' barrel and scope on the Encore make it almost a puussycat to shoot,hell even my 100lb sister-in-law shoots it.
I agree. I have 2 Remington XP-100s in .308. They're gentle to shoot compared to even a .44 mag. My 100 lb. ex-wife used to shoot silhuette with one and I used the other. I think Savage makes the Striker pistol in .30-06 if I remember right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts