Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know if I have ever seen one, or if there is one. Do they make a 30-06 break open? I have a about 100 rounds of hunting ammo I got for a good price. I would only want to use it for hunting maybe a random trip to the range with it. Is there a reliable company that makes one, or should i just go with a bolt gun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I do not know if I have ever seen one, or if there is one. Do they make a 30-06 break open? I have a about 100 rounds of hunting ammo I got for a good price. I would only want to use it for hunting maybe a random trip to the range with it. Is there a reliable company that makes one, or should i just go with a bolt gun.

N.E.F/H and R...........may have to look a while to find one , CVA still makes them as does Thompson-Center...........on the high end you could always go Ruger but the No.1s are pricey , Winchester 1885 Hi-Walls are similarly priced.

Most economical and easiest to find will be the CVA most likely , the TC a bit second to that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The shooting world is full of inexpensive bolt action rifles now. You can probably find a bolt gun as cheap or cheaper than a single shot rifle. Last year I bought a Ruger American rifle in 243 because I had over 200 rounds left over from another 243 I sold.

This has been a very good rifle for the $275 I paid for it NIB. Worth every penny. I am not that fond of the plastic magazine but it works. And extras are stupid expensive for what they are. But that is the only down side to the gun and thats not much. And its a hell of a lot better than the cheap savage bolt action I bought with what felt like a rubber stock it was so flimsy.

But if you find one of the H&R/Handi rifles they are shooters. I have one in 223 that will shoot bug hole groups at 100 yards.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,605 Posts
I got an Axis II in Stainless for $250 at WalMart. Accu-trigger, well worth the extra $50.

Scope and base not included.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ruger Number 1

One of the best single shots there is!

Probably THE best without going to very expensive custom-made bespoke rifles , have three.......two of those are half minute of angle Varmint rigs , one converted to .22-250 AI from .22-250 and one in .257 Roberts and then one in .35 Whelen is one hell of an Elk and Moose rifle.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
You bought ammo for a gun you don’t own? Welcome to the gun nut world!:thumb:

Unless you NEED a 30-06 or WANT a 30-06, the best move might be sell the ammo, use the money for whatever ammo you presently use.

But an old used 30-06 or a new budget model wouldn’t be a bad idea, if the ability to shoot 150-220 grain .30 cal bullets on top of 63 mm long brass cases effectively is something you want.;)

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Hatchet Jack makes a great point...there are a lot of decent budget priced bolt guns out there that are economically priced and usually can be had cheaper than a Break Action these days since NEF is no longer in business and I dont think EAA is importing the Russian made single shots anymore.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
On a side note,I'm a small guy,so it may not apply to you.I've had several HR single shots,they are light.I needed a recoil pad,wasn't fun for the range/target shooting.Never felt it when game was in sight.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,605 Posts
On a side note,I'm a small guy,so it may not apply to you.I've had several HR single shots,they are light.I needed a recoil pad,wasn't fun for the range/target shooting.Never felt it when game was in sight.
I put Limbsavers on all my shotguns and High power rifles. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Might look at this

There is a rebate going now too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts