Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
5 Year Newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't decide which knife I needed to complete my "system" of knives. That being 3 knives - a very lightweight knife in my 3rd line gear (backpack), a very large wood processing knife also in the 3rd line, and an emergency personal protection knife in my 1st line gear (on belt) that kind of fills every need.

For those of you who don't know the 3 lines of gear is a military concept that many use for camping or SHTF preps. You have camping gear, combat gear, and last resort/survival/combat gear. Each line is there in case you have to ditch the previous one for some reason.

I wanted to know for myself what were the best options for me so I narrowed it down a bit and then just bought everything I liked and wanted to compare. Whatever I don't decide to use I'll sell later for a small loss. (I just got too frustrated reading all the contradictory reviews and bickering in forums.

I had one guideline... all of my knives had to be capable of self-defense and be at least somewhat capable of stabbing.

For my big choppers I bought the Ontario RTAK II 10.25" (full flat grind) and Cold Steel short 12" Barong Machete.

For self defense and survival I bought the KA-BAR full-sized 7" plain edge, KA-BAR short 5.25" plain edge, and the KA-BAR "Becker" 8" Camp Magnum.

For last-ditch survival I bought the Mora "Clipper" 840mg.

I plan to figure out which is best for me for each situation using the "three knife system". I've read good things about all of these knives and none of them break the bank by themselves. Though my wife is going to be ****ed when 6 knives arrive at the house!

Please post opinions, experiences etc. Besides the cost factor I think I made good choices as far as what to review. :)

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Mine are
1. Full sized Kabar mounted on the exterior of my pack or right side belt.
2. US Army/Air Force survival knife, side ways belt mounted in front for fast draw.
3. Gerber Gatormate pocket knifel Right side, belt mounted behind the Kabar.

I also carry a Stoker & Yale (military issue before Camminga) Tritum Compass. It's belt mounted right side in front of the Kabar.

Kabar, Army/Airforce knife and compas pouch all have magnesium fire starters. Kabar has a diamond extra course stone glued to a ceramic medium stone mounted on the sheath.

This is my standard carry when I hike and camp over night.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I just cut myself bad tonite on that same mora clipper knife. Razor sharp.
I was oiling the blade with vasaline and it slipped and got me good. :eek:
I put a band aid and duct tape on it now, Ill look at it tommorow. :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I personally keep a larger fixed blade on belt, a neck knife, and a folder clipped in pocket. Multi tool stuck somewhere and a smaller knife for food processing...this is my pack in the woods Bug Out get home etc. EDC generally a neck knife,folder and multitool.

·
5 Year Newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bought six knives and none of them is a pocket knife, folder, serrated, or multi-tool? The reason to have multiple knives/tools is so you can do different jobs with them. You have basically bought six 1/2" wrenches instead of a wrench set.
To be more clear... I keep 1 very large knife at camp, and one very light knife (Mora Clipper) in my backpack. That's 3rd line gear. (choosing between the Cold Steel machete and RTAK II for the large camp knife).

I have a Gerber Diesel multitool on my vest. 2nd line gear.

1st line gear. If everything else is lost and I can only have one knife for self-defense, survival, and utility.

Trying to choose. I bought a bunch of knives but only planning on keeping a 3-knife system. :)

21,494 Posts
I am getting confused with all this line gear talk.

We are basicly saying Pocket. Belt. Backpack?

Anyway.
Leatherman wave.

Should be the Mora 2000 when i get it. (Unless I hate it).

And my spax

And given the choice of only one knife to survive I would go the spax.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's definitely good to have a decent-sized fixed blade on hand at all times, but what kind of backpacking are you doing where you have back-up gear and combat equipment? Or is this for your BOB?

Personally, I would prefer to have a good quality folder in my pocket, and a good quality fixed blade in my pack. I've found that I reach for my folder 90% of the time because it's more practical for most bushcraft chores (such as cutting rope, cutting tinder and kindling, cleaning fish, etc.). The fixed blade gets used only for the big chores like preparing firewood or making shelter.

·
5 Year Newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am getting confused with all this line gear talk.

We are basicly saying Pocket. Belt. Backpack?
Sorry guys. I haven't posted here in a very long time and I'm used to talking to people who already know me well. I'm talking about being deployed and having all of the lines of gear necessary.

There are 4 lines total that I subscribe to, only 3 of which are portable. 4-Camp, 3-Backpack, 2-vest/combat, 1-survival/pistol belt. Each line is designed in case the previous line had to be left behind in an emergency.

I realize this is too much weight for recreational backpacking. The knife I'm trying to choose is the vest/combat option. I ordered both the long and short KA-BAR and the KA-BAR Camp Magnum to fill this need. I don't know anything about defending yourself with a knife except that all they give us is a bayonet and they suck!

Of these three knives...
the long and short KA-BAR and the KA-BAR Camp Magnum
...and without experience I'm leaning toward the short KA-BAR for this role. I had to buy them all right away so I'd have them for deployment. Lord knows the shipping is cheaper in the US.

Personally, I would prefer to have a good quality folder in my pocket, and a good quality fixed blade in my pack.
For me and my low level of skill I feel that I need a fixed-blade. I have no training but don't want to get killed for lack of fighting back. A folder seems like it'd require training that I know I won't get. I see your point though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well since you are looking for a knife to serve as a defense weapon, I would like to suggest you research the Kabar TDI. Its a different kind of blade and it may not be for you but it wouldnt hurt to look into it. The reason Im suggesting it is because of its quick-draw aspect. The chances of you squaring off with an enemy and engaging with your blade is very low, it is more likely that you are taken off guard and must pull your weapon fast and strike quickly with you enemy very close to you(grappling), in such an event the TDI is appealing to many.

21,494 Posts
Well since you are looking for a knife to serve as a defense weapon, I would like to suggest you research the Kabar TDI. Its a different kind of blade and it may not be for you but it wouldnt hurt to look into it. The reason Im suggesting it is because of its quick-draw aspect. The chances of you squaring off with an enemy and engaging with your blade is very low, it is more likely that you are taken off guard and must pull your weapon fast and strike quickly with you enemy very close to you(grappling), in such an event the TDI is appealing to many.
That is along the lines I would go as well.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
For me it went like this:

-My big chopper: ESEE-6, doubles as a combat knife
-Mid size knife/skinner: Mora, same as the one posted by the OP
-Multi purpose: Leatherman multi-tool

My also add a ESEE-4 as an EDC knife.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a neck knife, always; I have a Shrade 3 blade folder in my right front pocket; a thumb flicker knife in my right rear pocket, that will open as fast as an automatic; an a Shrade + 187 lock blade on my belt; in my pack I carry a Buck 639>; and a M7 trench knife. I also carry a small Estwing hand ax on my backpack. I carry a steel for sharpening, only takes a couple of minutes to sharpen them, time maybe of importance. I carry the four all the time, seems the three blade folder gets the most use daily.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For me it went like this:

-My big chopper: ESEE-6, doubles as a combat knife
-Mid size knife/skinner: Mora, same as the one posted by the OP
-Multi purpose: Leatherman multi-tool

My also add a ESEE-4 as an EDC knife.
That's a pretty solid setup; it's a lot like mine.

IMO, you can go a LONG way with a good fixed blade and a quality multitool. In fact, that pretty much covers every task you might encounter when you are backpacking or surviving outdoors.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I understand your 4 line system, makes sense. Everyone should think last line first, and prep accordingly. Much of the conversation amongst preppers neglects last line, and gets all wrapped around the axle over lines 2-4.

That said, I have a quality folder on me all the time - even in PT shorts (kinda sexy in the green silkys.) That's the last line, and I put alot of thought and time into that purchase. If I could carry it naked, I would, like the dude from tunnel in the sky who bandaged one to his leg.

Outside of that, a good stout belt knife when in uniform - 4-5" in length. Nothing fancy, bombproof simple, 3/16-1/14" thick, well finished. Carry a sharpener in my wallet. This is on the belt, not the PPE.

3 finger knife on the PPE (kydex with molle) - most often used, to cut zip ties, paracord, MREs, mail, etc. Any quality necker will do, and by this I mean well retained with a button strap. Friction retention works great until it doesn't. Lots of Iraqis and Afghanis with really really nice knives folks put in the inverted on their PPE and relied on their hi-tec friction retention to hold.

Multi-Tool and maybe, big maybe, a big blade in the pack - never found anything a big knife could do that my belt knife couldn't. These are nice-to-haves to me, as the first 3 cover all the bases well. I had a pack burn up in the back of a 7 ton that rolled over an IED ... everybody got out with minor injuries, but it got the gas tank, and the fire spread to the ammo cans before we could get them out. So I consider anything in a pack nice-to-have, and keep essentials on my physical person.

·
5 Year Newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I consider anything in a pack nice-to-have, and keep essentials on my physical person.
Exactly... and if you're non-military there's no resupply so think about that.

ChapNelson, on my first line gear I carry the Mora Clipper shown above, a Beretta 9mm, a small medic kit including a "bloodstopper" wound dressing, and a canteen full of water. Do you have any advice or recommendations for first line gear? Or for anything else for that matter? I've been wondering if I should carry any food. I probably won't see resupply. PM me if this is too off-track for this thread. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts