Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a backpack to go on weekend hiking trip that is comfortable. I know most tactical backpacks don't have a frame and can make hikes uncomfortable. Wondering if anyone knows of anything that is the best of both worlds.

I would like to only spend a max of $150.

·
Registered
170 Posts
look at something from maxpedition. I have one i bought for $100 and added some pouches. 3 days is possible assuming the tent is small.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I got a blackhawk 3day from a friend a long time ago. Alot of people rip on the brand but it's well built. I used it on some pretty tough hikes in the mountains of Colorado a few weeks ago and it held up really well.
If your ok with civi stuff, my fiance bought a Deuter 32 liter pack for the same trip and it was the most comfortable pack she's ever owned. And it was really well thought out.
Edit: her 32L deuter was right at $150-$160

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can also attest for the BLACKHAWK 3 Day assault pack. I've had mine for years, used for camping, hiking, every day carry, and beaten the snot out of it. It always comes back for more. I do wish it had molle on it, but I've never felt like I didn't have enough room.

·
Registered
424 Posts
when you say weekend hiking is this meaning over night stays or just a pack you can throw in something like 20 to 30 pounds of gear and go, I like the 5.11 rush line and also if you can find a good deal (ebay) I have read some good deals on the camelbak military line of packs.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
I can also attest for the BLACKHAWK 3 Day assault pack. I've had mine for years, used for camping, hiking, every day carry, and beaten the snot out of it. It always comes back for more. I do wish it had molle on it, but I've never felt like I didn't have enough room.

I was able to attach my extra crap to the blackhawk using the compression straps on the sides. It wasn't bad but I would have liked a bit of molle on there like they used to. Still, it's a tank of a pack.
And Bravo mentioned the marine assault pack, that's a good one too. For the money, you can't beat it.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
For a 'tacticool' I would get a USMC Arc'tyrx pack. Gonna need the lid and the main body. Theres a daypack (3 day pack itself with bare essentials) and MARPAT woodland. Good packs if you shop around and get a quality used one... Under 150.

For a tactical hiking backpack, I would highly suggest getting a civilian hiking backpack instead of a military backpack. I love my kelty redwing 50. Its in sage green and very comfortable. Easy 3 days and a week if I went light.

You need a frame. Without one, your back is going to break with any real weight.

Bare bones best deal backpack? ALICE large rucksack with frame. $50. BOMBPROOF. But need a set of 782/deuce gear with butpack to spread the weight to the hips...

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
How about a Gen IV molle frame without the ruck? Just lash your gear to it, its very versatile and cheap. This is my overnighter set-up.

Not the prettiest I admit, but bombproof.

21,494 Posts
How about a Gen IV molle frame without the ruck? Just lash your gear to it, its very versatile and cheap. This is my overnighter set-up.

Not the prettiest I admit, but bombproof.
Wow.

Does that do everything a pack is not supposed to do. Like get caught on things and have stuff fall off the sides?

Oh.

And I imagine tactical hiking is where you walk next to the trail rather than on it.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Hike your own hike and everything, but that not only looks heavy and finnicky to load-up, but also terribly uncomfortable in any number of ways due to the weight distribution and lack of padding from the looks of it. I'm sure everybody's got different thresholds for pain, and it's just great and everything, but that's definitely not something that resembles comfort in my experience. All the bags and pockets have to add unnecessary weight and complication, and I just can't see getting the center of gravity right or keeping things compressed enough in the right spots to make it work for the long term or different gear. Maybe that's why it's just an overnighter, or maybe it's just not clear from the pic.

·
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
984 Posts
Wow.

Does that do everything a pack is not supposed to do. Like get caught on things and have stuff fall off the sides?

Oh.

And I imagine tactical hiking is where you walk next to the trail rather than on it.
Yeah, because if there aren't trails it's not worth going to right?
I imagine if you don't know why people would use cordura made packs then it's best you do stay on the trails.

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
Wow.

I've done some off trail hiking with it and i haven't had a problem. I am in the process of making an adjustable cargo net out of webbing to turn it into a versatile load carrier capable of carting game, wood, jerry cans or just an overnight load. It actually works better than my last hiking pack as the load is lower than my shoulders so it doesn't catch when ducking under things. If i was doing some hardcore bush bashing then the rain cover would keep things from snagging.

I'll do a proper post when i've finished the cargo carrier. Its based around the Kifaru Cargo Panel... but cheaper and no molle.

Its a work in progress.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts