Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member if this forum for a while now and i'm glad ive found it. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge. Now I need to pick your brain some more. Im hunting for a Great 3 day style bag. ive been torn between the Maxpedition Vulture 2 and the Camelbak BFM 500. What do you guys think about those? Also any others that I should consider? Dosent have to be either of those.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have been a member if this forum for a while now and i'm glad ive found it. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge. Now I need to pick your brain some more. Im hunting for a Great 3 day style bag. ive been torn between the Maxpedition Vulture 2 and the Camelbak BFM 500. What do you guys think about those? Also any others that I should consider? Dosent have to be either of those.

Thanks for the help!!
I usually don't link previous posts on similar subject matter, but we were just talking about that very bag and a few other options right here. Check it out:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=144300&page=2

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I looked at all the bags and opted to put together what I want. It was cheaper and I believe it meets my needs better. For instance, I wanted to choose my food: instant rice and oatmeal, Chef Boyrd spaghetti, crackers, peanut butter, etc. Also, my bag can be carried by hand, worn as a backpack, or pulled on wheels. I like the options as well as the nonthreatening, nonmilitary look to a pink and gray bag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Heh.

Thanks for the help!!
Not picking on you, but seriously, do you think the difference between the two will save you or kill you when the SHTF?

I love it when this forum debates for page-after-page whether a Gerber or a Leatherman is superior, or whether 30-06 vs .308 is the way to go.

Us Americans sure love to take a position on consumer consumption products and love it, I cant tell you how strongly my colleagues argue at lunch over Iphone vs Droid... we do the same thing here.

Hey, dont get me wrong, I am guilty of it too, for real, so honestly not picking on you, but just looking at this objectively, when we have all these "debates", I mean, do we really think, do we really believe, that these sorts of things are the key to staying safe through the apocalypse?

I am thinking skills and attitude are going to be 100x more important than which specific survival knife I have, or which fishing rod I have, etc.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts

Thanks for the help!!
i think i would go with the camel bak its bigger and got ALOT more pockets and alot more options :thumb:

the camel bak bfm 500 looks like a pretty good med size pack

this should make a good 3 day pack alot of the 3-day assualt packs are really to small but this one should serve you well for a 3 day camping trip and if you got the cash to add more pockets and such you could turn it into a nice BoB :thumb:

·
Nutcase
296 Posts
I've got the Vulture II for use as an overnight/3-day hillwalking pack. I'm not entirely happy with it. It's well made enough as expected from maxpedition, but the back is a problem for me.

First, with a full water bladder (3 litre) in the hydration sleeve it feels like strapping on a barrel. The bladder pushes out the centre of the back and I find it really uncomfortable to the point of unusable. I could put the bladder in the body of the pack instead of the hydration sleeve, but then it's vulnerable to damage. I bought it partly for this feature, so I'm not impressed with that.

I tried putting a rigid board (a large epicurean cutting board) in the bladder sleeve to stop this. That works quite well and makes the pack usable, but it's not perfect. It's also needless weight, although the cutting board has seen action!

Secondly, the pack is, in my opinion, just on the verge of needing/not-needing a frame. If loaded to its maximum then it really needs an internal frame to carry the load properly.

These objections of mine might not apply to others though, with different body shapes/sizes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been using this one for a while now. It's fairly comfortable with up to 35 pounds of gear, but I usually only carry 20-25 at most. It's real comfortable with that much weight and has enough room for everything I carry, enough for over a week for me if needed.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
As long as the backpack is of good quality, it matters more what you carry, and that you know how to use what you have.

But you are right about one thing, you are in the right place to git tha help ya need.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I practice historical (1760 era) trekking twelve months a year. Have since the late 1970's.
Two pounds each of jerky, rice, peas, and parched corn, and a "corn boiler"(roughly a quart bucket with a lid); along with a 1/2lb chocolate brick and salt & pepper amount to less than ten pounds. That will provide you with a 4000 calorie, three meal day, for a week.

Go to the store Saturday and get the above list. Cheat a bit, and use the stove and a quart saucepan for your first test. Fix and eat, from the above menu for the entire weekend to start. Eat from the pan, like you would on the move. Rinse the pan, and make chocolate drink in it. Drink from the pan, or a cup. Rinse the pan again, and boil water in it from the sink to simulate on the road. Not gourmet, but good plain meals that will fuel you for an active trek that day, ten or twelve mile hike.

Two weekends in a row, and you will have a slight taste of what traveling to a BOL on foot will entail.

ISS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.