Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between one of these vortex scopes for my AR.

POU: long shots 100-375, close quarters secondarily.

I like the 3-9x40 because it can be used in close. Would the 4-12x40 be too much of a sacrifice for close in?

In case you are wondering I have a dedicated AR equipped with a red dot for close quarters

·
Registered
507 Posts
I personally dislike variable power scopes. Speaking only from legal hunting experience, I've found the temptation to play with magnification has cost a couple shot opportunities. I'd go for the lower power, unless you plan to have a prepared position or more stable platform to shoot from (bench or bipod).

·
Living Simple
992 Posts
Trying to decide between one of these vortex scopes for my AR.

POU: long shots 100-375, close quarters secondarily.

I like the 3-9x40 because it can be used in close. Would the 4-12x40 be too much of a sacrifice for close in?

In case you are wondering I have a dedicated AR equipped with a red dot for close quarters
No you would not be sacrificing much at all going to a 4 power. I would look at getting a 50mm bell instead of 40mm. This will give you a much bigger field of view. I tried a 50mm years ago and now all I use is 50mm. Most of mine are 4-16x50 and I have zero problems shooting the ranges you mentioned.

Not only that if you have an AR with a red dot you should be able to go out to at least a couple hundred yards with it. Depending on how big your dot is and how much of the target it would cover up. Regardless you will be fine with the 4-12x40.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
3x9x40

Smaller and more compact than the 4x12x50
Gives you more options for finding good priced value glass
12x is a bit optimistic for a 223

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
3x9x40

Give you more options for finding good priced value glass
Agreed.

Myself, I wouldn't use a variable without 1X or 2X on a rifle that might be used for defense. A 1-6 or 2-7 would do anything I could ask of a 5.56 unless it was a dedicated varmint gun. I prefer 1X for the low end, and that's what I have on a number of guns.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
3x9....

why not look at something like an acog and then run a mini-rds for secondary?

with-in 350 yards I'd honestly be happy with just a eotech and a magnifier...it's basically what i run on all of my AR's

but hey, what do i know? lol

·
Registered
967 Posts
It really depends on how you plan to use it. If you plan to use it for social work, I would drop down to a 2-7 or less. For hunting at longer distances and target shooting, definitely the 4-12. It is hard to go wrong with a 3-9 because it does a lot of things well but there are better choices for some tasks.

My target/hunting AR wears a 6-18. My social work AR wears a 1-4.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
you want CQB to 375 yards ?
so does everyone else and they end up mounting a small RDS somewhere on their rifle along with a scope.
i dont see a reason for more than 4x on a patrol style rifle set up and would only go higher if putting it on a precision rig used for longer ranges.
variables starting at 1x and going up to around the 4x mark are often passed over until somebody actually runs a rifle with one then they fall in love with them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you want CQB to 375 yards ?
so does everyone else and they end up mounting a small RDS somewhere on their rifle along with a scope.
i dont see a reason for more than 4x on a patrol style rifle set up and would only go higher if putting it on a precision rig used for longer ranges.
variables starting at 1x and going up to around the 4x mark are often passed over until somebody actually runs a rifle with one then they fall in love with them.
I looked at the 1-4 AR Optics illuminated by Bushnell and while I'm not sure about the quality I loved the scope . . . i mean I LOVED that scope. In fact, I might use the 3-9x40 on my .308 and infest in a 1-4 for my AR

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3x9x40

I actually found that the vortex is at the same price point for both the 3 and the 4. But I concur, the 12 is a bit optimistic for a 223

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I looked at the 1-4 AR Optics illuminated by Bushnell and while I'm not sure about the quality I loved the scope . . . i mean I LOVED that scope. In fact, I might use the 3-9x40 on my .308 and infest in a 1-4 for my AR
I just finished building my first AR-15. Before starting the build I decided the rifle would be used for 0 to 300 yards. From a tactical sense, I really don't want to engage anything much beyond 400 yards with a 5.56.

Currently, I have Magpul MBUIS sights on it but I have been doing some research on different scopes. Here are some of the ones I have found:

[/LIST]
[*]Vortex Spitfire (3x)
[*]Vortex Strikefire II (no magnification) - this scope can be combined with the Vortex VMX-3T magnifier w/ flip mount for 3x maginification
[*]Primary Arms 1-6x w/ ACSS reticle
[*]Nikon P-223
[*]Millet Designated Marksman 1-4x24
[*]Bushnell AR223 1-4X24 Riflescope - there are 2 variations of this scope illumnated & non-illuminated
[*]Leupold 1.5-4x20mm Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 Riflescope
[/LIST]

They all get pretty good reviews and they're all under $400.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Is the gun going to be used for target shooting and survival? Or varmints?

Unless you are shooting small varmints I'd go 3 x 9. You should be good with Vortex.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No you would not be sacrificing much at all going to a 4 power. I would look at getting a 50mm bell instead of 40mm. This will give you a much bigger field of view. I tried a 50mm years ago and now all I use is 50mm. Most of mine are 4-16x50 and I have zero problems shooting the ranges you mentioned.

Not only that if you have an AR with a red dot you should be able to go out to at least a couple hundred yards with it. Depending on how big your dot is and how much of the target it would cover up. Regardless you will be fine with the 4-12x40.
The size of the objective doesn't necessarily have anything to do with FOV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3x9x40

I actually found that the vortex is at the same price point for both the 3 and the 4. But I concur, the 12 is a bit optimistic for a 223

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just because you said close I would opt for the 3-9 over the 4-12(I own both)and just figure out your hold over for longer shots,use 100yrd zero and work it out from there,the 4-12 not as friendly in close area like smaller rooms and or heavy wooded area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts