Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy Saturday when the mailman dropped off 3,200 44mag Laser Cast bullets! It was a HEAVY 3 priority mail boxes he dropped off. There are 3,000 Laser Cast and 200 Laser Cast Silver bullets, all for the 44mag.

I am going to write a few reviews for them and tell about their performance in the different weight bullets. So far I like what I see…

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good bullets, used them for years. Mainly the 240 LSWC in my Ruger single actions, but switched to 240 LRN so they feed in my Marlin.
I have pushed their bullets pretty hard and experienced no leading with exceptional accuracy. Right now my standard load involves H110 and a magnum primer in my rifle and pistol.
I think you will be very happy.

Happy shooting!

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Silver "Silver" Bullets or is that just a branding thing? If Silver then don't forget the Wolfsbane.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Silver "Silver" Bullets or is that just a branding thing? If Silver then don't forget the Wolfsbane.
They have 2% real silver added to the alloy making them much harder than standard hardcast bullets. This allows them to be driven at magnum velocities with little or no leading.

·
space samurai
455 Posts
that sounds like a very expensive solution.
i wonder if those boys ever heard of linotype, antimony, tin, water dropping, or heat treating? or gas checks and quality lube?

how much did those puppies cost.

edit: i found out how much those puppies cost and all i can say is, wow.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
There prices are a bit higher than other commercial cast bullet makers about $10 on average for the base bullet price,but the price does include the shipping cost. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've never heard of anyone having leading issue using there bullets. Silver added to lead alloy will harden it but more importantly makes an excellent bearing surface.

Before I started casting my own I shot thousands of those bullet at full throttle and never once had a leading issue in any gun I fired them in. As it seems to be a common statement used around here,you get want you pay for.

They have first rate customer service as well as there own reloading manual.

·
space samurai
455 Posts
i wasnt commenting on how much they cost compaired to other commercial cast bullets, which incidently isnt that bad, i was commenting on how much they cost period.

240 grain bullets divided by 7 (number of grains in a lb) equals rufly 34.3 lbs of lead to make 1000 of those bullets.

commercial casting lead that would cost you 70ish bucks shipped.
i just smelted that much in wheel weights and it cost me 15 bucks. 17.50 if you want to ad propane.

17.50 / 1000 = 1.75 cents a round.

lube for those bullets about 10 bucks for 2000

10 / 2000 = .005 so im up to 2.25 cents a bullet.

being generous here, 120 bucks for 1000 laser cast = 12 cents a round

i guess im just surprised what cast bullets go for. the above is part of why i started casting myself, and im by no means a master boolitsmith, im still a novice, but im much happier with what i make myself than what ive purchased in the past.

after all the above, i hope those bullets shoot great for you, and you still did better than buying jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
i wasnt commenting on how much they cost compaired to other commercial cast bullets, which incidently isnt that bad, i was commenting on how much they cost period.

240 grain bullets divided by 7 (number of grains in a lb) equals rufly 34.3 lbs of lead to make 1000 of those bullets.

commercial casting lead that would cost you 70ish bucks shipped.
i just smelted that much in wheel weights and it cost me 15 bucks. 17.50 if you want to ad propane.

17.50 / 1000 = 1.75 cents a round.

lube for those bullets about 10 bucks for 2000

10 / 2000 = .005 so im up to 2.25 cents a bullet.

being generous here, 120 bucks for 1000 laser cast = 12 cents a round

i guess im just surprised what cast bullets go for. the above is part of why i started casting myself, and im by no means a master boolitsmith, im still a novice, but im much happier with what i make myself than what ive purchased in the past.

after all the above, i hope those bullets shoot great for you, and you still did better than buying jacketed bullets.
I agree with you in feeling Lasercast bullets are too expensive. I also cast my own for all handgun calibers I shoot using wheelweights (free) with some linotype added.

I like the 429421 Keith semi-wadcutter out of my S&W Model 29. I once cast a bunch of those out of pure linotype and they were like AP slugs!

·
space samurai
455 Posts
straight lino is pretty tough.

i just smelted down a 5 gallon pail of WW. dirtiest ive ever seen, but visions of shiny boolits dropping out of molds keeps me going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts