Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I need to order of of these (what I can afford) but haven't yet.

Thanks for the review and reminder!

How do you plan on storing this?
I was thinking of drilling the holes, covering the spout hole with duct tape, and putting the pieces in the top one with the lid on. ykwim

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Thanks, xm193. I saw these filters in the catalog that arrived today. $29. ain't cheap but it's cheaper than the $50. everyone else wants. I was wondering if they were any good and here's your post! I noted that the ad says "doesn't kill viruses". Is this true also for the name brand filters? I have a Katadyn Gravitron. The ad also said you can wash their filters up to 100 times. Is that true also for the name brand? I quit using my filter for daily use because at almost $200.00 (including shipping & handling) I just couldn't keep replacing those filters every 3 months.

Thank you so much for sharing your research with us.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,776 Posts

·
reading since 2008
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kiling virus

Thanks, xm193. I saw these filters in the catalog that arrived today. $29. ain't cheap but it's cheaper than the $50. everyone else wants. I was wondering if they were any good and here's your post! I noted that the ad says "doesn't kill viruses". Is this true also for the name brand filters? I have a Katadyn Gravitron. The ad also said you can wash their filters up to 100 times. Is that true also for the name brand? I quit using my filter for daily use because at almost $200.00 (including shipping & handling) I just couldn't keep replacing those filters every 3 months.

Thank you so much for sharing your research with us.
a teaspoon of unscented bleach in the water 5 gallons for about a half hour will kill pretty much anything if concerned about virus?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
a teaspoon of unscented bleach in the water 5 gallons for about a half hour will kill pretty much anything if concerned about virus?
That is true. Personally I am more concerned with chemicals, pesticides, and toxins.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Thanks for the review.
I've been eyeballin' this rig for a couple of weeks but, couldn't make my mind up whether to buy it or not.
I think I'll take the plunge.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Viruses can be as small as .02-.05 microns so the .5 micron size wouldn't eliminate the viruses. Adding 1 drop of bleach per pint (500ml) would take care of that problem for you. Double to 2 drops if the water is cloudy.

Bleach (4-6% strength)required to kill viruses
(Double if water cloudy)

1 Pint (500ml) 1 drop
1 Quart (1000ml or 1 L) 2 drops
1 Gallon (4 liters) 8 drops
5 Gallons (20 Liters) 40 drops or 1/2 tsp

Make sure to use unscented bleach that is 4-6% in strength - most bottles of laundry bleach are in this range.
If it is 7-10% then cut required doses in half.
If it is 1% then use 10 drops per quart and adjust measurements accordingly.

Add bleach
Mix thoroughly
Let stand for 30 minutes before use

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
My understanding is that there are almost no virus' indigenous to North American Waters.
Since you understand so much, try drinking from a one of our springs then....

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
That works out to 24 drops per gallon. The recommended treatment rate is 8 drops per gallon for clear water and 16 drops per gallon for cloudy or suspect water. Also, bleach doesn't have a long shelf life so it gets weaker with age. Calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) has a much longer shelf life. There's a big thread on how to use it that's always in the first page or two of this forum.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
If I ordered that filter from CTD, it would cost me 46.57, including shipping and sales tax (TX). Seems a bit steep.

·
reading since 2008
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it cost me 29$ plus 8 for shipping im in WA, your in Texas sales tax they have to collect in tx. 37 dollars or 46 for clean water its worth it for me at least.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts