Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a SKS, is it possible to find them for 250? 300 is my hard limit.

If i can't, can anyone recommend me another weapon. This will be my first gun, I've been told the SKS is a great all purpose weapon

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
I'm looking to get a SKS, is it possible to find them for 250? 300 is my hard limit.

If i can't, can anyone recommend me another weapon. This will be my first gun, I've been told the SKS is a great all purpose weapon
get a 10/22 or some other .22 if its your FIRST gun. thats not what i did, my first was a AR, but its highly recomended your first is a .22

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Right now time is running out, if its on the "list" get it while you can.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
If you can find it an SKS in good condition, i cant stress that enough.

a .22 is also a great idea and imho more useful. a .22 placed well will easly kill a man or deer. It is also light, ammo is light and cheep. there quiet, super quiet with shorts.\

with 250, i thing you'd get way more use and enjoyment out of a good .22 and alot of ammo...seriously.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts

Normally yes you should get a 22 first and practice with it for a while but these are not normal times.

Get the SKS first. Get as many magazines as you can.

In two years when a POS SKS sells for 800 dollars youll look like a genius.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
oh my ****...i forgot..... get like at least 4 SKS's..... whoever said you will be able to sell them for $800 in 2 years is right. me and my dad just bought 10 mosin nagants from www.aimsurplus.com and its the same idea, buy cheap now, and sell for more later. when i get more money from beating my friends at blackjack im probably going to get 5 or 6 more. then i will worry about the SKS's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's my very fire gun but not the first that i've fired =P

And it's the last thing on my 'list' besides food, never can have enough food.

If i can't find an SKS in my price range, i'm thinking of getting a hi point carbine or a .22. Problem with a .22 want to be able to reload fast, i don't think they take magazines?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh my ****...i forgot..... get like at least 4 SKS's..... whoever said you will be able to sell them for $800 in 2 years is right. me and my dad just bought 10 mosin nagants from www.aimsurplus.com and its the same idea, buy cheap now, and sell for more later. when i get more money from beating my friends at blackjack im probably going to get 5 or 6 more. then i will worry about the SKS's.
Well i'm not really looking to make money off my SKS, if i get it. I have my off shore stocks, currencys, and gold/silver for that. But it's a nice bonus. Thanks

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts

In 5 years those Mosin rifles are going to be worth a lot more than 69 each.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an SKS, so it comes with a hinged fixed 10-round magazine fed by stripper clips. Getting as many stripper clips as you can would be a good idea though...

You can fit them with a 20 rd magazine (tapco is the only reliable brand) On the chinese ones, it usually causes no jamming problems, any other you have to file the wood down to make them fit

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Nothing wrong with an SKS.... but for 250 now!

mmmmmm, maybe.
Start rooting through the pawn-shops and adds.
Maybe, just maybe some donkey will let one go for this amount.

Barring your inability to get an SKS (which is highly likely)--get a used bolt action hunting style rifle in .308 or K98 Mauser in 8mm. Get the cleanest one you can find.

I was going to give an SKS away to a friend, but then I looked at what they were going for in the gun shops.... soooo sollly, I'm keeping it now.

T

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing wrong with an SKS.... but for 250 now!

mmmmmm, maybe.
Start rooting through the pawn-shops and adds.
Maybe, just maybe some donkey will let one go for this amount.

Barring your inability to get an SKS (which is highly likely)--get a used bolt action hunting style rifle in .308 or K98 Mauser in 8mm. Get the cleanest one you can find.

I was going to give an SKS away to a friend, but then I looked at what they were going for in the gun shops.... soooo sollly, I'm keeping it now.

T
Well i just found an online gun shop that's selling them for 230, so i'm happy :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Definitely the SKS.

Nothing at all wrong with .22LR. Everybody should have one. I see center fire semi-autos being attacked by the lefties long before rim fire, though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, you can still find an SKS for under $300....if you can find one that is. The fixed mag SKS's weren't on Feinsteins list of weapons to ban, but when the feds take an inch, they will try and take a mile.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
you should be able to find one for $250-$300 if you hurry.

I just got a russian with a bunch of add ons (stock, scope, tactical stock, sling) for around $450. I saw a few people selling some stock russians for $350 and yugos and norincos for $50-$75 less.

I would get one quickly though... the last gun show I was at was so crowded you couldnt even move.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
You can get the .22 later, if you want a military gun get it now.

·
Nerd
157 Posts
I have liked the SKS ever since the first one I bought for $80 a couple years ago. that one was an "18 chinese model with a big ole 30 rd fixed magazine. Would load and shoot very reliably but good luck trying to shove 30 rds into the thing...especially out of stripper clips...it got hard.

On the price range thing, though, here in Central Washington, SKSs still seem pretty cheap..my dad just got me a new one for christmas with 10rd mag, very good bipod, stock and 4x scope for about $160, (has had a lot of work done to it) but when I went to a gunshow recently some guy was selling one like my chinese one for $350, so I guess it varies

1 - 20 of 39 Posts