Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey people how does a .243 work with deer (when i say deer i mean big bucks). how does the .243 work as a survival rifle?
if the .243 dosnt kill deer that good what big deer caliber would you recamend?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The .243 is a fine deer caliber but a .308 would be a much better choice for the survivalist. The .243 is actually just a necked down .308, but .308 ammo is more common and comes in a much wider variety of bullet weights and styles. The .308 can also be used to take larger game like elk and moose, whereas the .243 is mainly suited to deer and medium sized game. If you are going for a semi-auto rifle then you should definitely get a .308 because of the availability of surplus 7.62 NATO ammo. Even if you are getting a bolt action I would recommend it over the .243.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
243 will shoot a little bit flatter, but the 308 is the better all around round (imo)

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
after taking about 20 deer with a 243, and seeing others use them i unscrewed the barrel from my winchester and put a .308 barrel on it.

I dont think the .243 is really a reliable cartridge to use. not reliable enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Many hunters in my area use them for deer hunting with no problems. That being said, the only reason I would consider adding one to my arsenal would be as a youth model hunting rifle for childern. If you are an adult shooter you should be able to handle the extra recoil from a harder hitting more common caliber.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I know a couple of guys who quit shooting a 243 because of losing a few deer. Not to say they wouldn't have missed the same deer with 50 cals, but I personally shoot a .308 and it is awesome. Deer drop in their tracks. Ammo is very available. You can't beat a Rem 700.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The .243 is a fine deer caliber but a .308 would be a much better choice for the survivalist. The .243 is actually just a necked down .308, but .308 ammo is more common and comes in a much wider variety of bullet weights and styles. The .308 can also be used to take larger game like elk and moose, whereas the .243 is mainly suited to deer and medium sized game. If you are going for a semi-auto rifle then you should definitely get a .308 because of the availability of surplus 7.62 NATO ammo. Even if you are getting a bolt action I would recommend it over the .243.
I have a 308 myself, but have always liked the 243 round. if someone made an assault style weapon in 243, I think it would be a good seller. I know I'd buy one.

·
96 Posts
243- good round for deer. Very flat shooting

As far as SHTF- 308- you can always get what the military uses

1 - 13 of 13 Posts