Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they're new

"Made for those for whom one cutting edge is not enough, these small axes are just right for the primitive camp. Hand forged blades with hardwood handles which must be fitted.The 10" blade come with a 3" cutting edge and is 18" long and weighs 3 pounds."

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
This is what i use,Marbles hunters axe,i put two different grinds on it,one is razor sharp and the other is more blunt for notty wood and breaking bones.

Its more of a hatchet than an axe and can be worn on your belt.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think they're new

"Made for those for whom one cutting edge is not enough, these small axes are just right for the primitive camp. Hand forged blades with hardwood handles which must be fitted.The 10" blade come with a 3" cutting edge and is 18" long and weighs 3 pounds."
Thanks for the post , I have a small hatchet , but have been looking for a good double bit. These look like they would fit the need perfectly.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Never having used one what exactly does a tomahawk bring that a hatchet doesnt?

When I think tomahawk I think fighting axe, am I far wrong?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never having used one what exactly does a tomahawk bring that a hatchet doesnt?

When I think tomahawk I think fighting axe, am I far wrong?
yeah the old fighting Native American tomahawk basically.
I have a cool one from coldsteel that has a hammer head on the other side.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Yea hawks are supposed to be one of the easier things to make in a home forge. When I went to the Atlanta Blade show I attended a forging seminar that dealt with home forges and you can buy a drift to make the hole thru the hawk head that will match readily available handles. I met a guy from Pensecola at that show that had a hand forged damascus hawk he was asking $600 for. It made my mouth water. I think I have a pic somewhere. I'll look for it. He's offered to let me come over to his shop and he'll teach me to make hawks but I haven't had the time to take him up on it. I've been watching what butch is getting for his hawks on eBay and now I'm thinking about trying my hand at it. If you click on his feedback you can see some of his past hawks and what they have sold for. My problem is I would probably want to keep all I made instead of selling em. He said good ball peen heads are getting harder to find because most hammers are coming out of china now and the steel in them is not real good quality.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
I see that last auction went for $204.04. Thats why I don't have one of his hawks yet. I guess I don't want one quite that bad. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts