Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The best all around caliber ever made.

I recommend sticking with the solid bullet regular speed ammo. The super high speed stuff can damage some guns and if you are changing ammo then your point of impact will vary.

A 22 will kill anything that you are likely to come up against and you will survive a lot easier on small game.

I noticed on one thread where the 22 short was being advocated. I love the 22 short but they tend to cost more than the long rifle. Again if you are switching back and forth it makes it harder to hit and I see no advantage to it.If you want to do something different then switch to hollow points.

If a deer is hit in the proper place with the solid point it will go down quickly and with a lung shot it will die although it might go a distance before it does. If you remain perfectly still and don't scare it it doesn't know what has happened and won't go far. At some point after it has weakened and it's lungs are filling with blood it will lay down and die.

Another great advantage is that you can do lots of shooting and practicing especially with pistols where you need it most plus with the size of the ammo you can carry a lot of it. Also at the cost you can easily supply yourself with all the ammo you will ever need and you CAN afford some kind of 22 firearm.

It is also so much quieter that you can use it where you can't or might not want to use a loud center fire.

It is much easier to learn to shoot accurately and the folks that are a little gun shy can accept a 22 much easier.

The physical size and weight makes it more likely that you will have it near if you do need it.

If I could have only one firearm in the world it would be a 22. I have been shooting about 64 years and have done a lot of it including in competition.

I was state champ and third place internationally with pistols with iron sights at 220 meters of course that was not with 22's. LOL

I have also done a good bit of varmint hunting at long range but with all that I would still take a 22 over anything else. If you will learn to shoot you don't need a big blaster.

You SHOULD have a center fire rifle or several if you want them. I plan on getting a ruger mini in 223 and a bolt action in the same caliber.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
gotta agree, love my 22!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I love my Ruger .22 rifle. It was the first gun I ever got. My Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was about 9. I still have it and it is still dead-on. I like shooting the .22 better than anything else. It's just plain fun!

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
I told the wife just last night... if we have to leave, and never come back, and can only take one rifle... it'll be the 10/22!

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I would have to agree that a 22 can do alot in a survival situtation. I have hadf a 22 for so long that I can't remember not having one. There are others out there that say that they want a much larger macho caliber but the good old 22 will do you just fine for the majority of the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
An old hunter who is eighty-five if he's a day, recently told me more deer have been taken in America with the .22lr than any other cartridge. I would have guessed 30-30 held that honor, but I didn't argue.

What should I look for in .22lr ammo. for hunting larger game? I don't think it matters if you are going for rabbits, but deer are another matter.

·
free man
626 Posts
An old hunter who is eighty-five if he's a day, recently told me more deer have been taken in America with the .22lr than any other cartridge. I would have guessed 30-30 held that honor, but I didn't argue.

What should I look for in .22lr ammo. for hunting larger game? I don't think it matters if you are going for rabbits, but deer are another matter.
I heard that yrs ago as well. Pouching by locals usually, from what I've heard over the yrs. Don't recommend it tho. Close up precise head shots only......and at night helps alot(aka spotlighting=big time illegal).

As a kid that hunted squirrels ALOT(I had over 60 in my moms freezer at one time:eek::).. I've seen a squirrel take 3-4..5 torso shots(if hit wrong) w round nose and keep going. But after awhile I could go out with 10rds/open iron sites and bring back 5 of those rds, but with 4-5 squirrels in the game bag...all shot in the head.

Having said that, hollowpoints only destroy meat if its not a headshot. And in that case, plain round nose will do nicely anyways. I guess the point is, the best thing for a .22 is learning to be effective w it.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
All great points.
Cost effective. - ammo is dirt cheap you can get 4-5,000 rounds for under $100. New 22lr start around $89.00

Space efficient. I have carried 2-500 boxes in my jacket pockets with ease.

Low recoil. My 10 year old learned on it.

Quiet. Won't give away your location as easily.

With proper placement effective.

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Marlin model 60, love it.
I don't have a matching handgun in .22 though.
I've been looking at mouse-autos and long barrel revolvers.

How about some opinions..

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
I have a Walther P22. Love the way it feels. Small enough to keep in pocket. Accurate with cci stingers or better grade 22lr.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts

The Ruger Mark I, II or III's come to mind.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I almost bought a Phoenix Arms Rangemaster .22 last week. It was new in the box for $100. I am sure it is a piece of junk, but it still seemed like a bargain at that price. Does anyone have experience with Phoenix Arms?

·
Registered
206 Posts

About long barrel revolvers...

I shot a friend's Heritage Rough Rider not long ago. For an inexpensive gun, it did surprisingly well. It wasn't as accurate as my Ruger Mark II, but then again they are half the price of the Ruger. I have no idea how it would hold up over time, but I wouldn't mine owning one.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I almost bought a Phoenix Arms Rangemaster .22 last week. It was new in the box for $100. I am sure it is a piece of junk, but it still seemed like a bargain at that price. Does anyone have experience with Phoenix Arms?
I fired a friend's HP22. We ran through about 100 rounds of CCI Standard.

It didn't jam, and my feeble skills could keep about 4" group at 25'.

But the triple redundant safety system was confounding and irritating. I say thumbs down for that reason alone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll admit, I am totally ignorant when it comes to guns. I've only recently figured out that I should have a gun. Reading through this post, and talking to friends who do own guns, I'm thinking a 22 is the best bet for me. I've actually shot a few rounds (couldn't tell you what models) at the local boy scout rifle range. I suck, but it was a good starter lesson (learned safety and how to load single-shot).

I'll be hitting the local gun shop and talking to them after work today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love my .22 Right now I only have my Marlin .22 Magnum and my Springfield M-6 with .22 Hornet. I learned to shoot on my grandfathers Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump Action. I had it for a time when my brother was living in Florida. It was his by inheritance but it hurt me to have to part with it. I got over it though because as long as it is in the family. I use my .22Magnum for about everything. I take small game with it regularly and am Confident that it would easily take a deer with a proper head shot. The thing is a tack driver

·
Registered
458 Posts

Ruger Single Six Convertible with both cylinders. One cylinder handles short / long / long rifle, the other handles magnums.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts