Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the tactical differences of the following rounds: .22lr, .22 magnum, and .223? (if they were shot from comparable rifles)

Which is more practical for targets at 150 yards?

Which would be produce a quieter sound?

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you use the word "Tactical" that would infer a human threat.

A .22lr and .22 Magnum are not tactical rounds, so it isn't fair to compare them with a .223

The best round for 150 yards would be a .223, the other two rounds could reach that far but I wouldn't call that practical or humane for larger animales.

The quietest round would be the one that is surpressed, or a subsonic .22lr round.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
.22lr is quit. .22short is damn near silent.
for cheap plinking/target practice get a .22lr. for hunting (cept close in varmint) get the .223. its a nato round and readily availible.

T

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
When you use the word "Tactical" that would infer a human threat.

A .22lr and .22 Magnum are not tactical rounds, so it isn't fair to compare them with a .223

The best round for 150 yards would be a .223, the other two rounds could reach that far but I wouldn't call that practical or humane for larger animales.
Thta pretty much sums it up. I agree with whats been said and have guns in all three chamberings. Neither of them is really all that quiet, but the 22 long rifle would be the less noisy of the three. In an urban setting the 22 LR would most likely draw the least amount of attention as the buildings would muffle the sound a bit and the back ground noise would sorta cover the "crack" of the muzzle blast. Out in the country the sound can carry a good ways on a windless night. The 223 is considerably louder than either of the 2 rim fire rounds and is too loud to pass as a fire cracker from a wayward teen playing around

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
what are the tactical differences of the following rounds: .22lr, .22 magnum, and .223? (if they were shot from comparable rifles)only one's a centerfire. I'd require a primer for combat

which is more practical for targets at 150 yards?>223

which would be produce a quieter sound?
.22lr

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
You can load down .223 to subsonic velocities. 62gr bullet with a 1/9 twist in my Bushmaster is squirrel head size accurate at 50 yards.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Picked up a GSG 5, Made in Germany, put a scope on it and a laser and a tatical light plus a bunch of high cap mags.... is it tactical?

Depends on what YOUR definition of "tactical"?

If you want to reach out and touch someone use your freaking deer rifle!

If you want a home defense weapon even a mom or kid could use effectively get the GSG 5; virtually no recoil, fairly "quiet" and last time I checked .22 doesn't bounce off.

Best part is the ammo is wicked affordable so training "extra home soldiers" is no big deal and not scary. You ratchet off rounds as if it were full auto and remain on target... we call it "The Tattoo Gun".

As to "noise"... unless you are planning to be stealthy and commit a murder (something I have zero intention of ever doing) NOISE IS YOUR BEST FREIND! Ain't nobody gonna hang around when they hear gunfire regardless of how loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts