Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a 10-22 with the AGP takedown kit on it. Magpul takedown stock modified to handle the AGP. Bought it before Ruger came out with the takedown. It is accurate and doesn't require any barrel adjustment. Also have a Henry 22 mag lever. That one is extremely accurate with the Federal 50 gr of which I have sufficient to last me. And a single six with both cylinders. Which one I take would depend on where and what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Several hand guns in .22mag, .22 LR target pistol with optics. Rifles with optics, both magazine and tube fed in .22 LR. Anything bigger AR 15 platform. Then we go up to .308. I going real light, one hand gun in .22mag and target .22 LR pistol, maybe the 10/22 Ruger.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I ended up getting a scoped Ruger 10/22 with the black synthetic stock. It's a decent little gun. Feeds real smooth. Got a couple of the 25 round mags for it. But I'm thinking if it is available after the election I might consider a bolt action that shoots 22 mag. I am planning on upgrading the 10/22 though with bull barrel, magpul stock, and Vortex scope.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
So did you pass on the 10/22 TD?

·
Registered
Semi ready for most things.
4 Posts
Okay, so yes, I have Googled and gotten conflicting opinions on this topic so I just wanted to ask the community here. For a backup survival rifle, would you recommend the regular .22 LR or .22 Mag. I know the LR is cheaper, more available, and more rifles are available that fire it, but is that enough to put it over the Mag for survival situations? For example, I am considering the Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpul backpacker stock or the Henry AR7 for my backup rifle. Can anyone suggest to me a better weapon that uses the Mag ammo or even the LR ammo for this particular purpose? Want something compact, reliable, and easy to maintain. Just my opinion but I would go with bolt action .22lr like the Savage MKII FV-SR. It can handle Long Rifle, Long and Short, plus Shotshells. It can be suppressed easily and can be fitted with all kinds of sights.

·
I LOVE THIS PLACE
365 Posts
10/22 story my former BIL came in one day and handed me a 1/2" target with basically one hole in it. Nice group says I three or five shot group, neither says Him one 50 round box at 50 yards. Those little Guns can be made shoot.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have a 10/22 and like it. I bought mine used, the guy wanted a hundred dollars for it and I always wanted one to play with. I dream of added a custom barrel/trigger/stock. It'll probably never happen though. That's a lot of money to add to a gun that does everything I need it to now.

I will say that the added capacity magazines don't make much sense to me. I have a few 10 rounders and one 15 rounder. The 15 round mag is about 4 times the size of the 10 round mag. If you are packing spare mags into a bag (I always carry a 5.11 shoulder pouch when hunting) they take up a lot more room than they are worth.

·
Plays best, alone
4,929 Posts
I will say that the added capacity magazines don't make much sense to me. I have a few 10 rounders and one 15 rounder. The 15 round mag is about 4 times the size of the 10 round mag. If you are packing spare mags into a bag (I always carry a 5.11 shoulder pouch when hunting) they take up a lot more room than they are worth.
I concur. the 25 rd are fun to play with. the 15 is to bulky, I have 3 10 rounders, plan on picking up a couple more.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts