Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
It will never be as accurate as a dedicated 22LR.
I was pleasantly surprised with mine. 1in at 50yds will get you a squirrel:thumb: I mean don't get me wrong its not a nail driver, but it would get the job done and be whole lot lighter than a separate rifle.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I've been watching this thread, but decided not to comment until now.

For the person who does not handload, and is NOT a hobby shooter, the .22 WMR offers a useful increase in range and energy, but the skilled shot can accomplish the same tasks with quality .22 LR with less meat destruction and at lower cost.

A .22 LR target pistol with barrel of 6 inches or longer with quality optics is a 50-yard deer gun with head shots. I've killed truckloads in culling operations. The .22 WMR JHP rounds ruin lots of meat with body shots and the ammo is much more expensive.

Get an accurate .22 LR boltgun with scope and can, a 6-inch Ruger or Browning Buckmark target pistol threaded to accept same can, a Gemtech Tracker is ideal, then also have a .22 LR semi-auto like a Ruger 10/.22 which can use the same can. Stockpile at minimum 10,000 rounds of subsonic HP, 10,000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag solids and 10,000 rounds of standard velocity solids and you are done. If you want to get a Ruger LCR snubbie for Momma, then stockpile 10,000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HPs for it and you can use for non-edibles in the rifle too. A 4-1/2" Colt Woodsman for everyday carry in the Carhart barn coat is not the worst choice. Maybe not first choice in a gunfight, but I haven't seen anybody having a 10-round mag of .22s in the face who put up much of a fight afterwards... Just sayin'

K.I.S.S. principle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Assuming a rifle:

- 22LR if your plan is to use it for harvesting small game

- 22 Mag for self defense and larger (small deer).

22 Mag isn't ideal for deer but as a backup gun, it can be done if you know where to put the bullet.

A lever gun in 22 Mag has serious potential.

·
reluctant sinner
17,022 Posts
Learn to reload your own ammo with cast bullets. A small hand tool system such as the lyman 310 or the lee tool are light and effective. If you cast the bullets, then the cost is primers <$40 per thousand and 2 pounds of powder $60. So about ten cents pop to have about 30-30 power in 308, 8mm, 30-06.

Your 5.56 will be way more than a 22LR and could even meet the 22 mag. That 2# of powder will load 1400 rounds 50 gr bullets at 2500 feet per second in a 24' barrel.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
.22 LR and a solid stack of ammo. would be easier to trade or trade for as it is more common. cheap enough, well - I don't know about currently, but has been inexpensive enough to collect a good backup supply historically.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I think most people have 1 or more 22 long rifles before they consider the mag. That is my situation. The standard 22 has a lot going for it, one thing not mentioned much is that a manually operated tube fed gun can shoot shorts or even cb or bb ammo all of which can take small game with a lot less noise.

But, I'm thinking I might have to get a mag, just because. I think it would be the best choice if someone had to go a long way on foot. Centerfire ammo is much heavier,most guns are heavier. The mag would be a better choice for the ability to take game for food and the possibility of getting into a fight.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
i wonder is there any reason 5.56 couldn't be handloaded down to 22 mag equivalent not sure why you'd want to but seems like it could be done
I do that with most all my centerfire rifles. Cast bullets for the larger cals. Lightweight jacketed for the 223. One thing I always do is find a squib load that will shoot where the sights look without adjusting them.

The possibility of shooting grouse while hunting big game is what started this practice.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you reload, there are a number of powders that will allow you to download a .223.

I worked with Blue Dot and worked up loads from just under subsonic to about 2400 f/s. Even the top velocity loads were what I would describe as "Low Report".

Another potential powder is Hodgdon's Clays.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I've always seen the availability, utility and economy of a 22LR as a plus. 22 rifles, pistols and revolvers are common as common can get meaning they are just about everywhere.

Given the mild report and lack of recoil, a wide range of shooter feel comfortable behind the trigger of a 22LR. Truly mild they are at (or close to) the bottom of the power performance scale, yet the lowly 22 LR still meets a lot of the needs or uses one might encounter especially where a higher powered cartridge would be impractical.

The 22LR is perhaps the most economic cartridge manufactured in the world...inexpensive and can be found everywhere...Just to give you an idea of the scale here's a link to a 2011 Blog.

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/07/01/manufacturing-22-lr-ammunition/

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
For a survival rifle, 22LR without a doubt.
True that!!! Ruger 10/22 would be really tough to beat for what you need. I would just prefer the 22 LR over the 22 WRM.

Need more power than that? Then doing what I did is always an option when 22 LR ammo was impossible to find for about 2 years after Sandy Hook. Get a 223 chambered rifle Single Shot Break Action or Bolt Action. Single shot BA's are pretty light weight and can be taken down. For a Bolt Action I would look at Mossberg MVP Patrol. You can shoot full power rounds out of the gun for about a penny more a shot. Or if you hand load reduced loads that are almost down to 22 LR loads with reloadable cases (55 gr at about 1200 fps) which gives you a lot of versatility in between! When reduced loads are down to 22 WRM levels the brass last a long time before you have to discard it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
WARNING: HERESY!

I'll ease you into it. A good friend gifted me with a 6" Colt Police Positive Target in .22 WRF. I bought a case of Winchester WRF (it'll shoot in .22 WMR chambers) and began searching for more information about the gun. One source said the early guns were put together with .22 LR bored barrels.

Half a century ago I got a Ruger Single Six with two cylinders and shot a couple of LRs from the magnum cylinder. The cases bulged and I wasn't sure it was safe, so I adhered to the advice of my betters and resolved to shoot ammo of the indicated caliber in guns so marked.

50 years later, I shoot a fair number of calibers of factory ammo in guns not marked for them: .32 ACP in .327 magnum, for instance; .32 H&R magnum in .32-20; .45 ACP in Webley Mk VI.

I shot .22 LR in the Colt. It's deadly on empty 12 gauge shotgun shells out to 20 yards.
The shots sounded different and not uniform, but the bullets all landed where the sights said they should. Figured my early Colt had the even earlier bore. Then I got curious.

Four inch Taurus 941 was deadly on those same shotgun shells at the same distances with WMR and WRF. LR sounded different, but had the same accuracy and point of aim at that close range.

Not as loud, and sound not constant.

The books and internet tell me LR is less accurate in a Magnum bore. I can't tell it through practical shooting. Power seems adequate for any small game shot that close in the right spot.

I've decided that the answer to this question is: .22 Magnum. With a decent extractor system to ensure positive extraction of the now bulged and slightly smaller cartridge rim of .22 LR.

Wouldn't try it on a semi-auto.

Before you responsively lash out, I've got a Paco Kelly kit:

http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

THE FAMOUS ACU’RZR
THE TOOL THAT STARTED IT ALL

This is the time-proven Acu’rzr tool. It not only accurizes rimfire 22s... but with the three reforming rods it also make the bullets absolutely deadly. 

THE ORIGINAL #3 TOOL HAS TWO CHAMBERS ONE ON EACH END AND CAN BE CUT FOR THE PRIMARY FIREARM IF IT HAS A EURO OR TARGET BORE, THEY NORMALLY COMES IN TWO CHAMBER SIZES .223 AND .224...WHICH COVERS 99% OR THE REST OF 22 BORES. THE BULLETS IN THE PIC SHOW THE NOSE SHAPES GIVEN BY THE THREE RODS THAT COME WITH EVERY TOOL BODY. ALL OF THE ACU’RZR TOOLS MAKE THOSE THREE SHAPES. The Cup Nose for clean cuts in paper and small game, Nasti-Nose a hollow pointer that makes the commercial ammo really expand...and the Scorp’n that gives expansion but also deeper penetration....

Won't change the rim diameter, but soft lead bullet? Sure thing!

Some day I may put some pills on paper and see what difference the tool can make, but for 20 yards or so, I'm good to go. LR in WMR.

·
statists' be statin'
3,340 Posts
.22 mag is about 25% faster and 70% more muzzle energy. 70% more is a lot. If I could only choose one, I'd choose .22 LR because you can buy it cheap by the thousands and you can carry twice as much for the same space and weight.

If I could have two, my second small rim fire round would be .17WSM. Faster and more energy than the more common .17HMR and twice the velocity and energy of .22Mag in a round that isn't much larger or heavier.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
.22 mag is about 25% faster and 70% more muzzle energy. 70% more is a lot. If I could only choose one, I'd choose .22 LR because you can buy it cheap by the thousands and you can carry twice as much for the same space and weight.

If I could have two, my second small rim fire round would be .17WSM. Faster and more energy than the more common .17HMR and twice the velocity and energy of .22Mag in a round that isn't much larger or heavier.
Agree...Overall the 22LR makes better sense...although it wouldn't hurt to put back a few boxes of 22Mag, that is if you have a use for it. I did just that, put a few boxes back, as I have a Ruger Single Six...with the spare 22Mag cylinder.

I never dabbled with the 17's so I can't speak to their usefulness, the 22LR on the other hand (as far as I concern myself), is a must have item. I cannot see myself in any situation where I would be better off not having one...So yeah...the 22LR gets my nod of approval...:D:

·
Amateur of all trades
551 Posts
" I have a Ruger Single Six...with the spare 22Mag cylinder"
Me... I have a Ruger Single Six, with the spare 22LR cylinder.
I like the .22 Mag and it fills a niche.
But if you're only going to have one rimfire, then go for the LR first.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I like the 22 mag round and have two Marlin bolt guns in that caliber. Its a definite step up in power over the 22lr and if you stay away from the crummy CCI 22 mag ammo you also get a real jacketed bullet. And that extra hard jacketed bullet will get you much deeper penetration over any 22lr round. That may be important if using it on larger game.

Gunwriter Ross Seyfried took a 22 mag to Africa and used it to kill several whitetail sized animals and reported that it worked just fine for that.

Yes 22 mag cost more. It uses more powder, a better bullet and gives better hunting performance on larger game. No its not a plinking round. It was designed from the ground up to be a hunting round. When viewed like that the cost isn't that bad.

A few years ago Sportsmans Warehouse ran the Armscor 22 mag ammo on sale for $5.65 a box. I bought 4,000 rounds. That gives me a total of 5,500 rounds on hand. Armscor used to load the 22 mag ammo for Fiocchi and that ammo has an excellent reputation. As far as I can tell it seems to be the full equal of the Winchester 22 mag ammo.

And downloading the 223 is also a good choice. I have one of the H&R Handi rifles in 223 that would make a good platform for doing this. And Handloader magazine had a detailed article with lots of reduced loads for the 223 that I have saved back. But nothing is as convenient as just grabbing a 22 mag rifle and a box of ammo and heading out the door.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i wonder is there any reason 5.56 couldn't be handloaded down to 22 mag equivalent not sure why you'd want to but seems like it could be done
It can be done easily. The low-powered rounds will not operate semi-automatically, but work great with a suppressor and are useful, non-destructive small game loads. You will need to experiment to determine a useful zero, but back in the day, loading 55-grain M193 pulled bullets, a charge of 4 grains of Bullseye pistol powder shot close to the sights at 50 feet using a normal 250 metre battlesight zero with ball ammo in the old M16A1.

·
Registered
Semi ready for most things.
4 Posts
Okay, so yes, I have Googled and gotten conflicting opinions on this topic so I just wanted to ask the community here. For a backup survival rifle, would you recommend the regular .22 LR or .22 Mag. I know the LR is cheaper, more available, and more rifles are available that fire it, but is that enough to put it over the Mag for survival situations? For example, I am considering the Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpul backpacker stock or the Henry AR7 for my backup rifle. Can anyone suggest to me a better weapon that uses the Mag ammo or even the LR ammo for this particular purpose? Want something compact, reliable, and easy to maintain.
A 10/22 or Savage FV-SR is hard to beat. The Takedown even more so. The simplicity of the Savage bolt action is a huge plus. Love them both.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
I've got this one..... in 22Mag. Love the trigger, as it is a smooth shooting little dude.

My little bolt action loves these pills.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts