Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just got a .22lr conversion kit for my AR, and I think it would fit the bill. All you have to do is swap mags and bcg which will literally take 15 seconds tops and you can have either .223 or .22lr. If it were me, I would stick with .22lr for a survival gun for small game just for the noise factor. .22wmr has a hell of a crack, but .22lr standard velocities or subs are pretty quiet. As for larger game, I have killed 4 pigs and seen dozens of deer taken with a well placed .22lr. My grandpa even killed a 80lb pig at 70yds with a .22 short when we were squirrel hunting. The .22lr will kill larger game, but if you could carry a .223, that would be a different ballgame.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I can't think of a scenario where I wouldn't rather have the 22 mag.

I'd be comfortable with a 22LR, but the magnum outshines it in every scenario.
Question is does the extra performance negate the added expense. If the answer is yes, the extra performance is worth the extra expense. Then....I would rather have a .223/5.56 than a .22Mag.

Reactions: merlinfire

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I realize the original question was limited to the 22lr vrs the 22 mag, but we have drifted a bit. I'm a fan of both. I reload 22 hornet, and cast projectiles in .224, several weights.
I can and do load a nice little 22 cast projectile in my 22 hornet. Very reasonable cost, performance about the same as 22 mag. the price is between the 22lr and 22mag. When I go to jacketed projectiles the cost rises about the same as 22mag. the advantage to the 22mag is that I don't have to look for the brass. The 22 mag has its place and it is just fine in it. If you want bigger or faster just use another gun. Most of us did not lose all of our guns in the fire.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I found a stainless synthetic Ruger 10/22 takedown at my local gun store today. I think I'm going to buy it if it's still there in a couple of days when I get paid. I already have about 1300 rounds of 22LR anyway, and will probably buy just as much more if I buy the rifle. Still might look for something like a bolt action that fires 22 mag though

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,386 Posts
As for me, I found the Savage B-mag in (17wsm) a better choice than the 22mag. The 17wsm has more energy, velocity, range and accuracy than the 22mag. I find it to fit well between my 22lr and 5.45 x 39.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have a savage B mag in 22 mag. it is very picky on its choice of ammo. Winchester dyna points will not work the action. The sad thing is I stocked up on them during the obama years as it was the only 22 mag ammo available here. It does shoot CCI rather well.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I just got a .22lr conversion kit for my AR, and I think it would fit the bill. All you have to do is swap mags and bcg which will literally take 15 seconds tops and you can have either .223 or .22lr. If it were me, I would stick with .22lr for a survival gun for small game just for the noise factor. .22wmr has a hell of a crack, but .22lr standard velocities or subs are pretty quiet. As for larger game, I have killed 4 pigs and seen dozens of deer taken with a well placed .22lr. My grandpa even killed a 80lb pig at 70yds with a .22 short when we were squirrel hunting. The .22lr will kill larger game, but if you could carry a .223, that would be a different ballgame.
It will never be as accurate as a dedicated 22LR.

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
I HAVE killed several deer with head shots using a .22 magnum and they were clean efficient kills, something you cannot guarantee with .22LR

That said, just because of availability of ammo everywhere I would go with the .22LR.
as for .rifles..
I have an original AR 7 from Armalite. It is 40+ years old. Been all over NA in packs and bags as I traveled about. One of those guns carried everywhere and not shot that much. It has bounced around in car trunks for years and always worked. Have had other makes of the same rifle, Now I think Henry is building them. Just handy little guns.
I have the Henry version, bought new around 2012. Same thing, it's not used much, serves as a pack gun, has only had a couple hundred rounds through it. But I take it apart every winter, clean and lube, test fire, then another quick cleaning. Only ever feed it CCI stingers and its been perfectly reliable. It's a great little tool to have. I bought an extra mag too so I have a total of three 8round mags tucked away in the stock with it.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I found a stainless synthetic Ruger 10/22 takedown at my local gun store today. I think I'm going to buy it if it's still there in a couple of days when I get paid. I already have about 1300 rounds of 22LR anyway, and will probably buy just as much more if I buy the rifle. Still might look for something like a bolt action that fires 22 mag though
If you do buy the Ruger TD, pay special attention to section of the manual that covers the TD feature and how to adjust it. Mine was backed off a bit (loose) when I got it.

No worries it's easy to adjust for correct mating of barrel and receiver assemblies. Which I might add is necessary if you want the best accuracy out of the TD.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
During a survival event, much like the 1929 crash, there won't be much in big game left in a short time. some deer went extinct.

The way people are armed nowadays your competition is going to be the guy with a tricked out .243 Wetherby mag scoped and well hidden. waiting for you.
He is not hunting deer he is hunting you and if not for food but the fact you are competing for what food is remaining. your little 22 mag is no match
Not that I am trying to sell you a bigger gun, these are just the facts.
I care a great deal about accuracy and have cast off guns that were unreliable and the .22 mag is one of them.
What I have found I really like is the 17 HMR Marlin.
Ammo is about the same price as .22 mag but faster and more accurate IMO.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I have guns in both. That being said...

For survival...I would default to the 22 LR. The number one reason, I can buy 550 rounds of Long Rifle for the price of 100 rounds of 22 WRM. Im a great shot in the field but I have to admit I am sometimes a little off target on headshots on squirrels, not often but occasionally. The WRM will waste a lot more meat when I am where as milder lead round nose Long Rifles wont do nearly as much damage. Since we are talking survival here...I can hit a Goose or Duck or Turkey in the lower neck of the body a lot easier than I can a bobbing head. In long rifle I can get some pretty quiet ammo too for those times when being a little more discrete is required or at least more desirable. The WRM...thats not even an option! Neither is a fight stopper but I dont know anyone thats gonna let you just shoot them with either, but the 22 WRM would fair a bit more effective in that area due to the much higher velocity.

Hence the reasons I would go with a long rifle vice a WRM.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
i wonder is there any reason 5.56 couldn't be handloaded down to 22 mag equivalent not sure why you'd want to but seems like it could be done
Yes you can! I have a couple of recipes for reduced loads and one subsonic load. Why would I want to? Do you remember how long it took 22 rim fire to come back to availability after Sandy Hook ammo run? Remember how expensive it was when you could find some an individual was willing to sell? Not dont get me wrong 223 wasnt exactly widely available either but as a reloader I had plenty of cases, primers, suitable powders to last me years and projectiles to use as well. Further more it was a tad bit cheaper per a shot to boot. At such low pressures I could reload that batch of cases until the cows come home before having to cull them. I also had the option of bullets from 50grs to 69grs. One surprise I did get though while on that journey...those highly frangible bullets designed for varmints performed a lot more like Nosler Partitions at 1600-1800 fps. The 69gr SMK shot some pretty nice groups through a can and sounded like a cat sneeze! Powders used were Unique, Bullseye and Trail Boss, things I had a butt load on hand already. Its situations like that, that motivated me years ago to make sure I have a bolt action or single shot in just about every caliber I own! With Bullseye and Unique there is a pretty fine line between a safe charge and a over charge, especially with the bullseye. Make sure you look down the barrel and verify it clear after every shot, before you take another!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Question is does the extra performance negate the added expense. If the answer is yes, the extra performance is worth the extra expense. Then....I would rather have a .223/5.56 than a .22Mag.
Yes, and I'd rather have my .62 fowler than your 223 in a SURVIVAL situation. However, lets consider 2 things that he said;

1)It's a back up rifle...which would imply he already has a more powerful rifle.

2) He said as a "survival" rifle. Which is very subjective. I'm not a TEOTWAWKI (do people still use that term??) kind of guy. So to me this would imply something he'd take with him on a hunting trip to the middle of nowhere, or keep in a cabin in the mountains. Or any sort of realistic, non blue helmet hunting sort of scenario where he'd need to shoot food and possibly scare off smaller predators. For an undetermined, but finite amount of time. Inside of that scenario, the price of ammo is irrelevant. We are talking about 1 or 3 hundred round as an absolute max.

If he's looking to keep this as a back up rifle attached to his ALICE pack so that he can do tactical reloads while emptying his AR at swarms of invading Chinese...well, I'm out. I like Chinese food. I like Chinese girls. I can adapt. :D:

Sorry, don't mean this to be a ball busting text directed at you. The real point of all of that is that when people say "survival" they really need to specify exactly what they think they will need to survive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
During a survival event, much like the 1929 crash, there won't be much in big game left in a short time. some deer went extinct.

The way people are armed nowadays your competition is going to be the guy with a tricked out .243 Wetherby mag scoped and well hidden. waiting for you.
He is not hunting deer he is hunting you and if not for food but the fact you are competing for what food is remaining. your little 22 mag is no match
Not that I am trying to sell you a bigger gun, these are just the facts.
I care a great deal about accuracy and have cast off guns that were unreliable and the .22 mag is one of them.
What I have found I really like is the 17 HMR Marlin.
Ammo is about the same price as .22 mag but faster and more accurate IMO.
Oh believe me, a .22 is hardly going to be my primary rifle. It's just going to be my backup for when I run out of ammo for everything else or I don't need to expend a round or make the noise of firing off an AR, scoped 30-06, 12 Guage, or other, etc, etc... I am just making the investment in .22 right now because I can still get the ammo cheap, and a lot of it. When SHTF bullets are going to be worth more than gold, I figure.

·
Gray Man
45 Posts
i recently went with the ruger td and absolutely love it. i'm not sure if they've changed the backpacks or if it was a distributor exclusive, but mine came with the 'newer' scoped carrying case. still plenty of room for mags and ammo, and has a shoulder strap. .22 mag of course will perform better, but availability and cost of ammo will play a factor in times like these. then again - decent .22 is hard to find right now, so perhaps a moot point. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Okay, I think I've decided for sure. I am going to pick up that Ruger Takedown. I may decide to get a Ruger Precision Rifle in 22 WMR later on. They're bolt action but use the same mags (and look super cool) and they cost about the same. But I really want that 10/22 first. Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited gun budget :( But I don't have a wife to tell me when to stop :) lol

21 - 40 of 70 Posts