Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so yes, I have Googled and gotten conflicting opinions on this topic so I just wanted to ask the community here. For a backup survival rifle, would you recommend the regular .22 LR or .22 Mag. I know the LR is cheaper, more available, and more rifles are available that fire it, but is that enough to put it over the Mag for survival situations? For example, I am considering the Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpul backpacker stock or the Henry AR7 for my backup rifle. Can anyone suggest to me a better weapon that uses the Mag ammo or even the LR ammo for this particular purpose? Want something compact, reliable, and easy to maintain.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
I have several of both.

The only negative of the 22Mag is the cost of ammo, but it can even be found for about $10 a box of 50.

The size of the ammo is nearly identical, so about 25 rounds of both fit in my shirt pocket.

So other than the cost of ammo, the 22Mag wins this discussion every single time. If you are hunting small game, use ammo that will cleanly pass through the animal without much damage. Hunting bigger critters.... 40gr hollow points kill really quick.

***Full disclosure... I just purchased a Marlin XT22M very recently and it is one of the two best rimfires I have every shot. The other is the Savage 17WSM I own.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,629 Posts
Okay, so yes, I have Googled and gotten conflicting opinions on this topic so I just wanted to ask the community here. For a backup survival rifle, would you recommend the regular .22 LR or .22 Mag. I know the LR is cheaper, more available, and more rifles are available that fire it, but is that enough to put it over the Mag for survival situations? For example, I am considering the Ruger 10/22 Takedown with Magpul backpacker stock or the Henry AR7 for my backup rifle. Can anyone suggest to me a better weapon that uses the Mag ammo or even the LR ammo for this particular purpose? Want something compact, reliable, and easy to maintain.
I think folks will choose suvival weapons and calibers based on where they live, and what critters they expect (or fear). In most areas, a survivor will not gain more calories than they burn, by hunting small game.

In most areas, harvesting the productive food sources requires either a much larger gun (deer rifle), or fishing gear and nets, or steel traps, or garden seeds and tools, or a book on edible plants.

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
realistically speaking the price and limited gun availability are the only practical downsides.

it's not that much heavier than 22LR round for round, it often uses the same projectile and the same primer, the case is just a little longer and there's a little more powder. based on what i could find, you're looking at around 0.75lb for 100 22LR and about 0.9lb for 100 22WMR. not much difference unless you're hauling thousands and thousands of rounds.

obviously the 22WMR is going to be considerably more effective at all ranges. if it were just a penny or two more per round than 22LR i'd probably standardize my small bore hunting stuff around it, but it's just plain expensive to stock when you think about how 22LR pretty much fills the same role

·
Registered
609 Posts
Henry is a great company, but the AR7 is not really a good option. if you want large capacity from a small platform buy a Ruger Charger, new model, that has the ability to put a pistol brace to use while "shouldering it. plus it takes the 25 rnd BX Ruger mags. While i dont have one with a shoulder brace, it is a great little firearm. mine has the threaded barrel.

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
Henry is a great company, but the AR7 is not really a good option. if you want large capacity from a small platform buy a Ruger Charger, new model, that has the ability to put a pistol brace to use while "shouldering it. plus it takes the 25 rnd BX Ruger mags. While i dont have one with a shoulder brace, it is a great little firearm. mine has the threaded barrel.
yeah for me the AR-7 has seemed indebted to its "gotta float in its own stock" design since the beginning and is just kind of weird because of it. not a bad gun. just not as good as other guns that are in the compact 22LR category, with the exception that it packs down into its own stock and floats.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are plenty of semi-auto hand guns and rifles in .22LR, but no so much for 22 Mag. I have a Keltec PMR30 in 22 Mag and while it is a fun gun for the range, it is very finicky about ammo and how mags are loaded.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
realistically speaking the price and limited gun availability are the only practical downsides.

Plenty of .22Mag guns in all our local stores.... Not an issue here.

What is an issue is ammo right now.

I have been in 4 stores this past week, trying to buy different brands and loads of .22Mag and about all I can find is CCI and it is very, very limited.

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
i bought up a bunch of 22 Mag back when I was sure I wanted to get a Keltec CMR but then i ended up never getting it ;)

i feel confident covid will end and trump will win and by next spring this will all be over and back to normal, but if biden wins i am going to feel pretty dumb

Reactions: willc453

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
Well, I scored today.... on the ammo front. I had to make a short business trip, which put me in a little town that has a WalMart. I decided to walk in and see what their ammo situation was. There wasn't much there, but what they did have was 150 round boxes of Winchester 45gr .22Mag for $25.96 a box. With tax, the price equivalent for a box of 50 round was $9.30. I purchased the only two boxes they had, but I now have 300 more rounds.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,488 Posts
The only real difference between the two is range

The 22 mag will give you little more range, if you need more range, you'll need to step that up to something like a 223 or the like

So if you have a 223, then a 22LR would make a lot better sense! Plus it's quieter

I don't think there's much that you can get with a 22mag that you couldn't get with a 22LR

But its all mind over matter

If you don't mind, it don't matter

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The two rounds serve different purposes. For close range foraging, it is hard to beat the 22lr. It is quiet, cheap and does not destroy a lot of meat. It is limited to 25-50 yards max. While it will kill beyond that, you should not be taking those shots except in a time of chaos. In everyday times it is great to plink, hunt and maintain your shooting skills. The 22 mag will extend your range out to 100 yards. maybe more if you are a good shot and the situation warrants it. It does destroy more meat at close range but can take larger game. It is not a deer round. It cost twice as much as 22 lr per round. In a time of chaos, that is not relevant. It is more quiet than a 22 center fire. I started with a 22lr or two and later bought the 22mag. I'm a big fan of the 22mag. It is a very under rated round. Buy both, they have different nitches.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,311 Posts
I HAVE killed several deer with head shots using a .22 magnum and they were clean efficient kills, something you cannot guarantee with .22LR

That said, just because of availability of ammo everywhere I would go with the .22LR.
as for .rifles..
I have an original AR 7 from Armalite. It is 40+ years old. Been all over NA in packs and bags as I traveled about. One of those guns carried everywhere and not shot that much. It has bounced around in car trunks for years and always worked. Have had other makes of the same rifle, Now I think Henry is building them. Just handy little guns.

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
.22 mag seems the classic solution in search of a problem - nothing really wrong with it but nothing really right either
if they could make it cheaper, maybe just a couple cents more per round than 22LR, I'd love it. but it's hard to justify 10-15 cents more. that's my only real complaint.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
The 10/22 TD is a decent rifle and it comes with a padded soft case that affords plenty of ammo/magazine storage. I can comfortably fit 4 BX-25 magazines and 5 CCI 100 round sleeves in the exterior pockets and there is a second (interior) barrel pocket that can also be used. It's a pretty decent set up. Not 22 mag but a good design and worth the money.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
if they could make it cheaper, maybe just a couple cents more per round than 22LR, I'd love it. but it's hard to justify 10-15 cents more. that's my only real complaint.
i wonder is there any reason 5.56 couldn't be handloaded down to 22 mag equivalent not sure why you'd want to but seems like it could be done

1 - 20 of 70 Posts