Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obviously the 10-22 is a favorite here, but are there any other rifles, such as lever actions or whatever that are more reliable and less likely to malfunction/break?

the purpose of this would be largely for small game hunting, and perhaps to arm a less skilled family member in the case of STHTF.

also, are there any .22s that can also fire .22 mag interchangably?

thanks

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not sure about combination .22lr + .22MAG. My guess is there's no such thing, but it's just a guess...

I personally like the Marlin .22lr. IMO it's more accurate than the 10-22 right out of the box. Better fit and finish... Not sure if Savage makes a .22, but I love their rifles.

If you're looking for something semi-auto that *looks* intimidating, H&K makes a very nice .22lr AR-15 style rifle (H&K 416 .22LR).

Thinking about getting one for my girlfriend to pluck around with since she doesn't like the recoil of larger caliber rifles (but for some reason doesn't mind pistol recoil..? Heh..)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about combination .22lr + .22MAG. My guess is there's no such thing, but it's just a guess...

I personally like the Marlin .22lr. IMO it's more accurate than the 10-22 right out of the box. Better fit and finish... Not sure if Savage makes a .22, but I love their rifles.

If you're looking for something semi-auto that *looks* intimidating, H&K makes a very nice .22lr AR-15 style rifle (H&K 416 .22LR).

Thinking about getting one for my girlfriend to pluck around with since she doesn't like the recoil of larger caliber rifles (but for some reason doesn't mind pistol recoil..? Heh..)
yea savage does make a .22 i have seen.

i like the look of marlins, and they seem to run cheaper. intimidation is not a factor, just accuracy and utmost reliablilty

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have a Marlin Model 60. Excellent shooting gun, 14 round tube magazine, scope rails on top. I dont always keep a scope on it, sometimes I just like iron sights when squirrel hunting, then again sometimes I like taking them out at longer ranges.

Some people dont like the tube mags and Marlin makes rifles with the detachable mags, but thats fewer shots and something else to keep up with.

Looking on the Gander Mountain site Savage also makes a detachable mag model and probably have a tube-loader too. I had a Winchester tube-loader years ago that belonged to my Granddad, but had to give it up after he passed away. Thats when I got the Marlin to replace it.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Soundslike you want a bolt action by definition of ultimate reliability... I'd still take the 10-22 or similar

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,217 Posts
The only ones I know of that can fire both .22 lr and .22 wmr is the Ruger single six and the Heritage arms and NAA. There might be others but as for rifles I'm not sure

·
Registered
515 Posts
I love my marlin 795.

180 with rebate, tax and doj.

T
$180 with rebate? ouch. I got mine with the $25 rebate, came out to $105 after tax up at ****'s sporting goods.

this one is a great gun for the price. eats all type of ammo. clips are a little hard to load when new. but you can get extra clips cheap. Pick up a good weaver mount kit from Amazon for around $7. I liked it so much, I picked up 2 of them for less the the price of the 10-22. there is some wild aftermarket stocks for them too for around $40

just my 2 cents

·
gun nut on a budget
170 Posts
Id like to throw a Sig 522 in the mix. I got one about 5 mouths ago and have loved it so far had about 5 ftf but thats the cheap ammos fault not the rifle. not one fte or cycling problem. only problem with the sig is it does not come with sights they doent put sights on because many people just replace them so Sig tried to save people money

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd also like to make a shout out to the AR-7 Survival .22. You'll find people who either love 'em or hate 'em, but there's something to be said about a gun that can break down and pack into its own waterproof buttstock. That's portability and it can easily be packed or hidden.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'd also like to make a shout out to the AR-7 Survival .22. You'll find people who either love 'em or hate 'em, but there's something to be said about a gun that can break down and pack into its own waterproof buttstock. That's portability and it can easily be packed or hidden.
+1 on that, I have one and love it. Been highly abused, it does jam 1/50ish rounds, but it hasn't been cleaned in... eh.. a couple years? :eek:

Don't forget, they float! Atleast they're supposed to.. :D:

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I HAVE TO TOUT MY NEWEST .22. The Marlin 981T Bolt action. Tube fed so you can shoot shorts, CB LONGS or any other long rifle cartridge. It holds a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards easy and with match grade ammo could be 1 inch or less. I make 50 yard head shots on squirrels from a rest position. It is the most accurate .22 I have ever owned. We have a Remington nylon 66. its reliable and pretty accurate. My Ruger 10-22 is sweet as a back up defense rifle and can also get pretty accurate with a scope and match grade ammo. All good gns but the 981T is a tack driver. Kingfish

·
Registered
205 Posts
OK, some facts need to be established right now.

1. .22LR and .22 WMR (magnum) CANNOT be fired from the same chamber/cylinder. PERIOD. The case diameter is larger on the .22 WMR as well as longer, thus the .22LR case would have excessive clearance in the .22 WMR chamber/cylinder.

2. Any revolver that fires both, does so via an extra cylinder. There is no way to have a chamber on a rifle or semi auto pistol handle both cartridges. It's one or the other.

That said, the OP will be well suited to choose a Marlin model 60. It will be everything he wants for the remainder of his life if he takes at least a minimal amount of care of the rifle. I bought one in 1980 and it has digested at least 100K or more with only a recoil buffer replaced last year.($6) It is also one of the most accurate .22's on the market, in it's price range.

The Ruger 10/22 is also a fine choice, especially if you want to accessorize it. You can spend 4x the amount of the gun on stuff for the 10/22. Trust me, I did it. My Marlin was still more accurate.

Any of the Savage, Marlin, Winchester, etc. 22LR bolt guns made over the last 80yrs will also do fine.

The .22WMR is a fantastic little rimfire round. It has a place, but in most applications, the .22LR will get the job done at a much lower cost.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
obviously the 10-22 is a favorite here, but are there any other rifles, such as lever actions or whatever that are more reliable and less likely to malfunction/break?

the purpose of this would be largely for small game hunting, and perhaps to arm a less skilled family member in the case of STHTF.

also, are there any .22s that can also fire .22 mag interchangably?

thanks
sounds like your looking for a cz 455 there about 300 ish but there extremely accurate and for a 120 you can get a differrrent barrel that will take it from 22lr to 22mag or 17wmr

·
Registered
390 Posts
$180 with rebate? ouch. I got mine with the $25 rebate, came out to $105 after tax up at ****'s sporting goods.

this one is a great gun for the price. eats all type of ammo. clips are a little hard to load when new. but you can get extra clips cheap. Pick up a good weaver mount kit from Amazon for around $7. I liked it so much, I picked up 2 of them for less the the price of the 10-22. there is some wild aftermarket stocks for them too for around $40

just my 2 cents
I can't find any of the aftermarket stocks made for it, I just picked one up. Also, magazines are like 20 dollars.. Those are cheap?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,575 Posts
The Savage bolt actions are worth a look. Bolt actions give the ultimate in reliability, and the Savage is just about the most accurate out of the box .22 there is. The price is right too.

I bought the heavy barrel version on a whim. Straight out of the box it proceeded to outshoot my $1,200 custom 10/22 by a significant margin. It's an amazingly accurate gun, especially for the price.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts