Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Glock forum...what is your take on it?

-------------------

TheDreadnought: I see a lot of posts about how in some SHTF episode, people are planning on trading a few rounds of .22LR for mountains of food, fuel, and a couple hot virgins thrown in.

I think this Coronavirus situation is showing us that .22LR is worthless for barter in those cirucmstances. Why?

- All the unprepared people are buying 9mm handguns. They won't care one bit about .22LR. They want the 9mm ammo.

- The people who have .22LRs are predominantly (not always, but mostly) gun people, who already have piles of .22LR ammo. Also, if they trade for ammo, they are going to get something bigger.

So .22LR might make you rich if there is another ammo panic under normal circumstances, and other "gun guys" become willing to pay through the nose for it.

But in a real SHTF situation, 9mm is going to be the currency of choice as far as ammo goes.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I think people overestimate what any item they have to trade will be worth in SHTF.

At best you can get a mountain of flat screen tvs (assuming no power grid functions) for your handful of ammo.

Fuel, food, and ammo will all be equally in demand.

I also think 12 gauge buckshot would be a good barter item. Lots of people own a shotgun but only have 20 or less rounds of buckshot/slugs. They might have a couple hundred rounds of bird shot at the most.

Good thing you can stock more than 1 thing.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
the panic has begun but not the crisis. 22lr will gain once there are bodies in the streets. Counties are releasing criminals from prison in California which makes 9mm popular. When city people are hunting dogs and cats the 22lr will bloom. A quality air rifle will keep a family feed for a long time in the city and does not draw attention due to noise

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,528 Posts
This coronavirus situation isn't showing us absolutely anything about SHTF. The S has not HTF. Sure there are people buying up toilet paper, guns, ammo, etc. But people are not really going without the necessities yet, I say yet as I don't think this is going to become SHTF.

That said, .22LR or 9mm is only worth what someone perceives it is worth. If I only have a 9mm handgun and you have mountains of .22LR then your ammo is worthless to me personally unless I want to try and trade it to someone else. The reverse is also true. .22LR could be very valuable to the right person in SHTF, but people make the mistake of thinking that everyone will value it equally. The bigger mistake is using what is going on today as proof of what will or will not be valuable in SHTF.

On a related note, I have to chuckle when I hear people talk about intrinsic value of items or gold. Intrinsic value is a myth, it is all perceived value. The myth persists because there are things, like gold, which are valuable to many people, if not everyone in our society. But that is not because of the item itself it's because of our perception of what it's value is and what we can do with it.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,738 Posts
the panic has begun but not the crisis. 22lr will gain once there are bodies in the streets. Counties are releasing criminals from prison in California which makes 9mm popular. When city people are hunting dogs and cats the 22lr will bloom. A quality air rifle will keep a family feed for a long time in the city and does not draw attention due to noise
After this mild winter and a next door neighbor that must love squirrels, we have a huge posse (scurry?) of them. 9mm is a little bit to messy unless you get a really good head shot.

Yes, they sold a lot of 9mm, and .40's and .45's and a bunch of .22s. Most stores, that haven't already shut down, have sold out to the bare walls.

.22 is already very hot, at least around here. I see someone online selling a Ruger Charger for $500 this AM but they are throwing in 100 rounds of Mini-Mags. I wonder what I could get for mine with a nice scope and 1K or M22? :D:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When all the big calibers run out. 22lr will be gold.
I don't think the big calibers need to run out first ,,if people need to start hunting small game to help them eat then the lowly 22 will be a great barter item ,in this case of panic its going to be a while before we get to that point as long as the trucks keep rolling

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
A hunting companion of mine visited relatives in Italy in the 70's. He told me that it was a common sight to see men with a pellet rifle walking down the road with a pellet rifle and several small birds that he had shot from the road. This friend also made a great pasta dish with Robin as the meat ingredient. Be prepared, it could happen here.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Lead currently has a heluva lot of intrinsic value it seems. Oh yeah.....and brass!
Obumer EPA said that lead is icky and shut down processing of such nastiness in the US. Go to China.

This is the CHICOM FLU. Not giving the SOBs a PC pass. Originated in China, very likely in their bio lab, was allowed to grow in China and the LIED the world until it was impossible to stop it. Boycott and bankrupt them.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
.22 LR is pretty popular with shooters by me. I don't have a .22 gun of any sort.

The day comes when the .22 guns need to be fed, people will trade or buy it at gouging prices. I would barter it myself if I had an excess... for supplies, not to get rich. Those you gouge may remember you once the dust settles and they have a couple left over.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts