Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand from reading online that Hyper Velocity Ammunition should be limited to use with Bolt Action Rifles only, and not semi-automatics. But, I have also read that some 10/22 users have used hyper velocity ammunition after installing a "Recoil Buffer" to absorb the additional shock and wear.

I am also aware of the manufacturer warning against using CCI Stinger in 10/22 due to the longer brass cases and their effect to the receiver. Does this warning also apply to other manufactures of Hyper Velocity ammunition like Aguila Super Maximum & Intercepter, Remington Yellow Jacket/Viper or CCI Velocitors, and Federal Game-Shok?

I have also read about other manufactures also place similar warning for semi-automatic pistols.

Does anyone have any experiences "good or bad" in using 22LR Hyper velocity ammunition? Or any information on modifications you have done to mitigate damage caused by using Hyper-Velocity ammunition.....Thank you

EDIT: I read the earlier thread on use of Hyper Velocity ammunition on this forum, but was interested if any changes has occurred over the last few years.

·
Trump is Treasonous
6,777 Posts
I don't use hyper velocity myself, I only use high velocity which is the velocity recommended by the firearm manufacturers of the 22LR's that I own.

·
Learning
6,612 Posts
I have all those types of ammo you mentioned and I've shot some of it. I've personally never had a problem. I've definately shot it in revolvers and a 10/22.

I never knew about any recommendations against not using it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all those types of ammo you mentioned and I've shot some of it. I've personally never had a problem. I've definately shot it in revolvers and a 10/22.

I never knew about any recommendations against not using it.
Page 14, you can see the following warning
“Stinger” cartridges have a longer case
than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S.
Industry specifications. They can stick
in the tighter chambers of target rifles,
including the Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle,
which can result in a hazardous
ruptured case and release of hot
powder gasses and brass when fired
http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_1022.pdf

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
374 Posts
The big problem I have found with the Hyper Velocity stuff can be directly attributed to the longer case length.

A secondary concern was that accuracy is never as good out of my guns as with conventional HV or SV .22 ammo.

On the flip side, anything (small game) I ever hit with hyper velocity was DRT. No twitching, moving, no nothing, BLAM like it was hit by a bolt of lightning

Due to cost, the functional issues, and not being as accurate as more inexpensive ammo. I do not use them much any more. Except for the odd time now and then.

FWIW - my go to .22 LR ammo is standard HV offerings such as Federal 510's. Which I modify the bullets on with a Paco Kelly Tool for hunting. If you do not know what a Paco tool is here is a link for a good write up on it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm

Regards,

Rob

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Thanks, I read that thread but it was several years old, and it did'nt go into modifications (if possible) to semi-automatics to allow for using Hyper Vel Ammo. It also did'nt cover use in revolvers.
as for revolvers, i imagine that as long a the revolver is in good working condition you should have no problems with hyper V ammo.

As stated in the thread, mods, like target barrels for the Ruger 100-22 need to be checked out with a call to the manufacturer if the CCI Quik Shok and Stingers can be used in it.

Also, i wouldnt shoot Hyper V's out of a 10-22 unless ive installed a softer, recoil reducing bolt buffer! 10-22's have been known to get cracks where that pin is!

·
Registered
695 Posts
i like rem yellow jackets shot out of my ruger single six and lcr. it makes a 22lr handgun credible for protection for the recoil averse shooter.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I have replaced the OEM bolt buffer with the Kidd bolt buffer in my 10/22 takedown and have shot at least 2000 rounds of various hyper velocity rounds. No problem whatsoever. The rifle still looks new and shoots great.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Aguila Super Maximum has a little longer case too (see current issue of NRA's 'American Rifleman'). I've shot hypervelocity out of my wife's Beretta's 21A Bobcat, it punches holes in paper targets the size of a 380ACP. These are round holes which don't indicate the round was key holing - I'm guessing the base of the rounds are flared as they exit the short barrel. Most of the .22LR I buy is Standard Velocity (not High Velocity) stuff for use with a silencer since it stays subsonic.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Stingers work fine in my Walther P22.
Just an FYI, you should check the slide for cracks. they start out small so run an edge over areas, like a razor, to feel for the cracks. Since theyve come out ive seen lots of complaints of the alloy slide cracking. You may be interested in looking on RimfireCentral. com in the Walther section. Also look up youtube vids. peace

·
Learning
6,612 Posts
Page 14, you can see the following warning
“Stinger” cartridges have a longer case
than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S.
Industry specifications. They can stick
in the tighter chambers of target rifles,
including the Ruger 10/22 Target Rifle,
which can result in a hazardous
ruptured case and release of hot
powder gasses and brass when fired
http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_1022.pdf
Good thing none of my 10/22's are of the target rifle variety. Mine are all regular, run of the mill types...along with a couple takedowns and the 50th anniversary model.

·
Learning
6,612 Posts
Aguila Super Maximum has a little longer case too (see current issue of NRA's 'American Rifleman'). I've shot hypervelocity out of my wife's Beretta's 21A Bobcat, it punches holes in paper targets the size of a 380ACP. These are round holes which don't indicate the round was key holing - I'm guessing the base of the rounds are flared as they exit the short barrel. Most of the .22LR I buy is Standard Velocity (not High Velocity) stuff for use with a silencer since it stays subsonic.
I noticed the same exact thing with a 21a...except my holes looked like .45acp semi-wad cutter, perfectly round large holes.

It was impressive looking to say the least. For carry (which was only in emergencies) I carried CCI standard velocity, but I've sold that pistol now.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
i like rem yellow jackets shot out of my ruger single six and lcr. it makes a 22lr handgun credible for protection for the recoil averse shooter.
what makes you believe yellow jackets are better for self defense than say high velocity 40 gr solids or 36 gr hp?

·
statists' be statin'
3,326 Posts
Didn't know that hyper velocity cases were longer. I've used lots of hyper v. in my 10/22, Bbrowning Buckmark, and several bolt actions, a rolling block, and two revolvers and never had a problem.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Didn't know that hyper velocity cases were longer. I've used lots of hyper v. in my 10/22, Bbrowning Buckmark, and several bolt actions, a rolling block, and two revolvers and never had a problem.
Hyper cases are longer, and the typical "competition" chamber used for semi-autos, (the so-called Bentz), is shorter, by almost .100".

This chart has been floating around the Innertubes for several years. Compare the Long Rifle Sporting with the Bentz, and then with the Lilja competition chamber that I use for my Stevens single shots. 99% of consumer guns use the Sporting chamber, because it's safe for all kinds of oversize ammo, including the Stinger variety. But in the short Bentz chamber the mouth of the Stinger case will be jammed into the forcing cone. The bolt may be prevented from closing at all, or it may slam-fire out of battery, or the pinch at the case mouth may cause excessive pressure that ruptures the case as it begins to extract.

Attachments

·
Retired, Uncommon Drunk
1,394 Posts
I've got an OLD 10/22, probably older than 80% of the folks on this board....:D:

.....It's digested thousands upon thousands of rounds over the years, and a LOT of them were CCI Stingers; VERY accurate for a "factory" barrel, but scope sighting has to be adjusted for the higher velocity stuff. I zeroed my scope on that 10/22 for Stingers (small game hunting), and then just compensate a little for standard velocity stuff.....

.....and, no cracks on that old steel bolt, either.....YMMV.

DocZeus
AKA
The Rimfire-Shooting One.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts