Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the difference is power and recoil?

My wife and I are looking at getting our first rifle (ruger 10/22) and handgun (ruger SR22, MarkIII, Browning Buck Mark, haven't decided yet) to learn on.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but slickgun's is posting what appears to be a fantastic deal... CCI Blazer Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain RN box of 5250 rounds - $169 shipped!

Seems like two people using two firearms would cause us to use ammo pretty quick, yeah?

So, silly question... how do I know if the ammo is rim or center fire? Is the 10/22 rim, center, both? How about SR22, MarkIII or Buck Mark?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You can look at the round it's self, all rim fire is flat, where the center fire rounds will have a primer in the round. 22LR, 22 short 177 etc. are going to be rim fire all the larger rounds will be center fire.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
By the way the 10/22 is a good idea that gun will last a life time if it is taken care of. but a 22 hand gun is just a toy if you ask me. I think that I would get a cheep 9mm. big enough to take someone down, and if your wife is 5 and a half foot tall and is above 100 lbs. she should be able to shoot it. my old lady 5 foot 7 and about 105, and I've got to keep the safe locked, are she would be out in the yard shooting up all the ammo that I bought for my SKS.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

So, the deal above, is that a good deal? That would work in a 10/22 as well as in sr22/markIII/buckmark?

By the way the 10/22 is a good idea that gun will last a life time if it is taken care of. but a 22 hand gun is just a toy if you ask me. I think that I would get a cheep 9mm. big enough to take someone down, and if your wife is 5 and a half foot tall and is above 100 lbs. she should be able to shoot it. my old lady 5 foot 7 and about 105, and I've got to keep the safe locked, are she would be out in the yard shooting up all the ammo that I bought for my SKS.
One reason where looking at a .22lr handgun is because the ammo is cheaper. My wife took a basic firearm class that included range time. She burned through 125 rounds in a few hours and that was with instruction. I'm thinking 250 rounds per range visit is a reasonable estimate. That's less than a dozen trips for 5000 rounds.

We'll get a 9mm (P95? I guess I've become a fan of Ruger before even shooting one :D:) eventually, but according to many posts on this board, knowledge and skill is more important than caliber and we can't afford to get decent if the ammo is too expensive. THanks again.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The 9MM ammo can be bought cheep. 250 rounds is about 60 dollars at Walmart. But if you are going to do that much shooting I can see why you would want a 22 hand gun. You know that I am a big fan of the 10/22, and if you are going to get one of thoes why don't you get a Ruger Mark III ( Kind of like a matching set). I like them best of all the 22 LR hand guns.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Vehemently disagree with you position. Like the .22 rifle a .22lr pistol has been used to train untold numbers of new pistol shooters. The felt recoil in all of the guns the OP mentioned result in almost zero felt recoil. Hence, a begging shooter won't tend to develop all the bad habits of the person that picks up a 9mm first. You learn much better trigger pull and can really work on quick follow up shots. Beyond that, you can shoot 500 rounds for less than $20 with .22lr.

In no way am I advocating a .22lr pistol for SD. I firmly believe that 9mm or above for SD in a pistol. But for learning it's an incredible tool. I know plenty of small females that are extremely capable with 9mm and above, so, I fully endorse the idea of a full size 9mm or above as well, however this doesn't diminish the value of a .22lr pistol for learning. Why do you think there are so many conversion kits for all types of gun in .22lr? Why do you think manufactures are all releasing .22lr in 1911s? (Sig, Colt, GSG, Browning to name a few)

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 9MM ammo can be bought cheep. 250 rounds is about 60 dollars at Walmart. But if you are going to do that much shooting I can see why you would want a 22 hand gun. You know that I am a big fan of the 10/22, and if you are going to get one of thoes why don't you get a Ruger Mark III ( Kind of like a matching set). I like them best of all the 22 LR hand guns.
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen the Mark III get a decent amount of praise on this site. I'll let my wife choose between ruger or browning based on how it fits her hand.

Is there another handgun other than SR22, Mark III or Buck Mark that we (she) should consider?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thanks everyone!

So, the deal above, is that a good deal? That would work in a 10/22 as well as in sr22/markIII/buckmark?

One reason where looking at a .22lr handgun is because the ammo is cheaper. My wife took a basic firearm class that included range time. She burned through 125 rounds in a few hours and that was with instruction. I'm thinking 250 rounds per range visit is a reasonable estimate. That's less than a dozen trips for 5000 rounds.

We'll get a 9mm (P95? I guess I've become a fan of Ruger before even shooting one :D:) eventually, but according to many posts on this board, knowledge and skill is more important than caliber and we can't afford to get decent if the ammo is too expensive. THanks again.
I believe you are on the right track and can personally fully endorse the Ruger MkII and MkIII.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the Buckmark. Sr22 is still a bit new, but will be more typical of a "Standard Pistol" once you upgrade to fullsize, so that is something to consider.

You are on the right path, IMO.

For economy, I strongly recommend 9mm when you go to full size. The cost is typically substantially lower than most rounds in bulk.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've seen the Mark III get a decent amount of praise on this site. I'll let my wife choose between ruger or browning based on how it fits her hand.

Is there another handgun other than SR22, Mark III or Buck Mark that we (she) should consider?
As I noted above, the Mark III and Buckmark are outstanding.

You might consider a .22lr revolver, and the .22lr 1911s. Then again, I am a 1911 guy. That said, you won't go wrong with any of those three, imo.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

One word of warning. The MKIII has an issue. It will allow you to install the magazine backwards and it will lock in sooner than normal.
You will need to send it back to get it out. Won't cost anything but time.
Just thought you should know. You may want to consider a used MKII.
or a 22/45.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hence, a begging shooter won't tend to develop all the bad habits of the person that picks up a 9mm first.
That is new info to me and am happy to know that our choice will help us develop better habits!

Thanks for the rest of your post and info. For SD, our primary tool, at this time, is an H&R pardner pump.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe you are on the right track and can personally fully endorse the Ruger MkII and MkIII.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the Buckmark. Sr22 is still a bit new, but will be more typical of a "Standard Pistol" once you upgrade to fullsize, so that is something to consider.

You are on the right path, IMO.

For economy, I strongly recommend 9mm when you go to full size. The cost is typically substantially lower than most rounds in bulk.
Thanks! We'll get a 9mm in some months after we figure it all out. I'll ask y'all's opinion about 9mms at that time :)

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One word of warning. The MKIII has an issue. It will allow you to install the magazine backwards and it will lock in sooner than normal.
You will need to send it back to get it out. Won't cost anything but time.
Just thought you should know. You may want to consider a used MKII.
or a 22/45.

yikes! Thanks for the heads up with the MKIII!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, first I have heard of that. A friend of mine has a mark II and I love that little gun. But I have to go where the deals are, and I allready have a H&R 9 Shot 22LR. just keep it around for when I see a snake in the yard. I keep a 686 in my desk and a have a Bereta PT92 for when I'm on the move. And BurntEyes it sounded like LordOpie did not have a gun that he could really defend himself with that is why I recomended geting a 9MM. But your point is well taken.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.