Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.

.223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Does anyone ever use the search feature anymore? I mean really, how many people are going to ask this same question thinking that they're the first person to think of it????

Yes you can shoot 5.56 in a .223, but only if you like little chards of metal embedded into you face and hands.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
easy Kahn. even I get it confused once in a while. And the forum search engine is a bit like throwing darts blindfolded

1 - 4 of 4 Posts