Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I started a post on reduced loads for 223 Remington. After some research I was able to find some printed data. My goal was to reproduce 22 WMR in a 223 Rem bolt action. Here are some results.
I started with some FC once fired range brass. A pound of Unique and Red Dot. I started at minimum loads and began working from there. All brass was full length sized, trimmed to 1.745 and prepped. I used CCI 400 and 450 primers. All loads where chronographed.
My rifle is a Remington 78 with 1-12 twist. 24" bbl. trigger set at 3.5 lbs with a Leupold 3x9x40.
5 shot groups taken at 40 yards
Bullets are Armscor 40g JHP, same bullets loaded in 22 WMR

These 2 loads were impressive

RedDot powder did not do well with magnum primers. Unique was the most uniform in velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still trying to get somewhere with a duel purpose rifle load. The Unique 6.0& 6.3 gr loads with magnum primers flopped. Accuracy is unacceptable. Also found Unique with CCI 450 to be position sensitive. 5 rounds fired from each load by holding barrel up and in down positions then gently putting on rest. This gave 100 fps variations with the 6.0 gr loads.

Unique loads

Red Dot loads after scope adjustments. I found that using the bottom post of my scope on 9x power put me on target at 40 yards with the 22WMR rimfire duplicate loads.

100 yards with my 70 gr speer hunting loads and Red Dot loads. Not squirrel accurate at 100. Yet.
Temps were in the low 30's with a steady 8-10 mph wind until 9:30ish. The RedDot shots where taken after the wind layed down.
Still going to work on the Unique loads with standard primers.
Average cost per round is .12 cents with range brass. Half the cost of 22 WMR
Bullets $6 per 100
Primers $3.20 per 100
Powder @ 6 gr $3 per 100
Should get approximately 950 loads from a pound of RedDet

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely has the crack of the 22 magnum, but not the volume of loudness. No ear protection would have been needed. I actually shot several rounds without protection to hear them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A pound of powder is 7000 grains, so a 7gr load is 1000 rounds. 6 is 1166.

Yessir. My early morning grains to ounces conversions has failed me. I did the hard math in my head while focused on coffee. . 6 into 437 x16 minus what I used already. Too lazy to use a calculator this morning.
So possible to drop the cost to 11 or 10 cents a round.

Im almost satisfied with the RedDot loads. Any suggestions on the Unique? Really want to keep this under 2000 fps. Im enjoying the challenge of this. wished I was closer to the shooting range.
I think the wind has played a part in my accuracy along with the BC of this bullet.

·
reluctant sinner
17,590 Posts
I like Unique for most of my cast bullet loads. I have also used RedDot. My current cast bullet load for the 222 using a 45 gr bullet is with Alcan AL-8. Dad and I developed the load back in the 70's. Accurate enough for me to shoot birds out of the air or running bunnies.

What accuracy are getting with full tilt loads in your rifle?

I might look at your $6/100 bullets for my 22 Jet full tilt loads when my stock of Hornady runs out and if they don't renew production by then.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The accuracy with the Unique with tilted loads up or down was about the same. One of the pictures above show them. It was the velocity change that concerned me.

Outdoor Unlimited is where I purchased the bullets. 9.95 flat rate shipping. Ordered some Armscor 55 FMJ too. Haven't shot any yet. Since then I've found them as low as 4.99. Cant remember where though

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Put a tuft of Dacron fiber in your case after you add powder. the fiber will help keep the powder where you want it. I stopped using magnum primers many years ago. I'm a big fan of cast projectiles for light loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts