Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 22-year-old with limited resources. As much as I would like to set up a survival retreat, it is simply an impossibility. What options are there for me?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
hi BadJuju,

are you completely without a place to live right now?

are you unemployed?

have you called united way or salvation army? do you have relatives who could take you in on a temporary basis?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
BadJuju: How about the Army or USMC.
By the time you get out you'll have some money saved up and useable skills.......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am living in an apartment right now, but as you well know, that is hardly the place one would want to be in a SHTF scenario. And yes, I am unemployed, but I do receive significant stipends from the government for college.

And no, I do not have any relatives that I could depend upon.

I have no interest in being in the military.

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have approximately $6,200 in January, and if things continue well, around $6,000 in August. What recommendations would you make for me given my current circumstances, good sirs?

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Hey Juju, I'm in a similar situation. My advice would be: Buy a good quality tent and the whole world is your survival retreat. (It's so simple it almost sounds stupid) The most important thing is that you have basic knowledge of the place you are going to bug out to, owning it isn't the important part.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps, but hauling a tent and the food one needs is not exactly a reasonable situation to place oneself in during a survival situation, I surmise! :)

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
only thing i can think of is, get a job (i know thats easier said than done these days). save some cash and get camping gear. i would buy a new tent and a new large canopy. everything else for camping can be bought at auctions for pennies on the dollar. as well as most fishing gear, and hunting gear.i would look at getting a 10/22 and about 1k rounds and a pistol + ammo, and always stock up on food.

another option with that kind of cash comming in .if your not going to have to have any of it to live on, you could pending on where you live, buy a couple of acres out in the land FAR,FAR away. and put a cargo container out there they have big 10'x40'ones around here for sale for 3k ea. buy 2 weld them together and have a doublewide, then you could slowly convert it into a hunting cabin. many construction sites use them as moble offices. put a well in and a spetic tank and have running water and a bathroom, add a wood burnning stove for heat and to cook with,in the winter, cook outside in the summer.if you kinda barry it with dirt at least 6" of the roof and on 3 sides,it will help insulate it for summer and winter.if the land is on the side of a hill it can be done easly.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
network, learn to do what you can with what you got. trust me, enough of us here dumpster dive for everything from furniture to piping to used sealable buckets.

Reactions: BadJuju

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ,what is it that you would really like to do? Are you planning on staying in college? Are you looking at finding a place to go? Are you simply looking for a place come shtf or something more permanent? There are loads of alternatives out there but i aint gonna even begin to type about them:D: without knowing a bit more of what is is you are actually asking?

I do intend upon staying in college, but if things go downhill, I will do whatever is necessary to ensure survival. I am interested in establishing a place for myself if SHTF that has all the items I need to survive. This would include at least a year's supply of food and water.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
You now seem to want something which you initially stated was impossible, so this is a little confusing (at least for me). Wolfe's suggestion was good, judging by the content of your first post. If a tent isn't acceptable sire, then may I suggest you an urban exploration forum for your country and then refine the search to your locality.. caves, mines, abandoned warehouses, tunnels and so on are capable of holding what you have proceeded to describe as a year's supply of food/water. For the latter the get a job suggestion was good, a part time job whilst at college.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can always build yourself a couple of caches one for your gear and one for food leaving them in the woods that is what I did. I had buried two 6" capped PVC tubes. Just be sure your not being watch when you stash you cache or you will loose everything also get yourself a mailing addy if at all possible. Can't get any cheaper rent than that!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You now seem to want something which you initially stated was impossible, so this is a little confusing (at least for me). Wolfe's suggestion was good, judging by the content of your first post. If a tent isn't acceptable sire, then may I suggest you an urban exploration forum for your country and then refine the search to your locality.. caves, mines, abandoned warehouses, tunnels and so on are capable of holding what you have proceeded to describe as a year's supply of food/water. For the latter the get a job suggestion was good, a part time job whilst at college.
Perhaps I should have worded it differently. With my circumstances being what they are, I find the prospect of setting up a survival retreat to be very difficult. It is my hope that the members of this board would be able to provide me with advice on setting one up given my predicament.

Your advise is a good, and I shall take heed of it; however, I would prefer to have something more concrete.

You can always build yourself a couple of caches one for your gear and one for food leaving them in the woods that is what I did. I had buried two 6" capped PVC tubes. Just be sure your not being watch when you stash you cache or you will loose everything also get yourself a mailing addy if at all possible. Can't get any cheaper rent than that!
I like this and will certainly consider it. There is a lot of untamed land around here that could be used.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
EXCELLENT!

Tennessee is a great place to be.

How familiar with the terrain outside of any large city are you?

Now, how much woodcraft, lore or knowledge do you have?

What weapons to you own?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EXCELLENT!

Tennessee is a great place to be.

How familiar with the terrain outside of any large city are you?

Now, how much woodcraft, lore or knowledge do you have?

What weapons to you own?
I will be quite frank, my friend. I am not terribly familiar with the land outside of the city. Nor do I possess many survival skills. And I do not have any weapons.

I have taken steps to remedying that. I have applied for an internship at a farm, which I hope they will accept. And I do intend upon acquiring those skills. I am not certain if I would be able to afford purchasing a weapon, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts