Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
The .22lr is a great tool but I wouldn't limit myself to that round only. Big bores have a home at my place just like my squirrel getter does. There is no one tool that does it all great. You didn't see Matthew Quigley packing a 10/22. Wrong tool for the job.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
This has been covered ad infinitium, ad nauseam...There have been three similar posts in the last week!

You need, for most situations, a medium bore--6mm to 7mm--then a rimfire or a large bore...The latter if your only game is moose/Red stag or you have large bears to contend with.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I don't own a .45/70 but something about the cartridge intrigues me especially in a single shot platform, I just haven't bought one yet.

Don't know that I'd call a .45/70 the perfect SHTF gun but the same can be said about the .22lr, I could use a 12 gauge and cover both of those caliber uses rather nicely.

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
see in my opinion , unless you are going to *actively use* a .45-70 (for whatever reason, say you're a *regular* hunter of hog, bear, man-eating-manacheetahs, et. al, and you use that .45-70 rifle for this hunting) or you are just rich enough to have whatever you want in an unfettered quantity and can just go out and buy rifles and ammo for the fun of it (Then by all means add a .45-70, a 6.8 SPC, a .338 Lapua, et al) .... you are better off picking and choosing according to a utilitarian and economic policy of moderation and planning.

I have more than I need, I am sure, and have some redundancies.. but i am quite certain I can meet *almost* any situational need I would encounter... with .22LR, 7.62x39, .308 and 12 gauge as my calibers of long guns I am quite confident I am able to defend, protect, hunt, acquire etc. all things i need with those.

If I had a .45-70 (or a 5.56, 7mm RUM, whatever) I would use them for fun and protection and hunting whenever they were the best choice for the job-

bringing me to my overall philosophy. My firearms are part of my portfolio I treat like a set of golf clubs in a back or tools in a properly stocked and maintained tool shed... I choose the best option for the task at hand and my hope is I have something to use in any situation.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I dont have a use for a 45-70 or 444.Nothing wrong with either, but I just prefer,stock and reload for a 30cal. No issues what so ever with using a .308 rifle to hunt pigs,deer,elk,moose, or bear.
The same is also my choice for medium range hunting (out to around 600yds), primary cartridge concerning security, and long range "plinker"...:)

Plenty of use for a 22lr. on the other hand. As you mentioed in your OP...... it is very lightweight, low cost, and under normal circumstances.....easy to aquire.

As to SHTF rifles,my M14S, and 10-22 are really all I need, but would be alright with just the M14. (Personal preference).

With that said, if you like either cartridge (45-70/444) you mentioned, there is no reason to dump it, and I would suggest that you reload for it as well.

11B

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was thinking more if you have limitation about how much you can carry.
Of course there is a need for larger caliber weapons because the 22LR is a small game/practice round only. It is not a true "survival" round as it is not effective on humans or medium/large sized game. If it is a you have than I guess its better than nothing but I could not imagine limiting myself like that when there are so many better options available.

·
Rather be outside than in
733 Posts
I don't own a .45/70 but something about the cartridge intrigues me especially in a single shot platform, I just haven't bought one yet.

Don't know that I'd call a .45/70 the perfect SHTF gun but the same can be said about the .22lr, I could use a 12 gauge and cover both of those caliber uses rather nicely.
I do own a 45/70 and while I would never feel under powered with it, I have to agree that a good 12 ga is the closest thing to a "perfect" survival weapon you can get. It can kill anything a 22lr can and everything it can't. The funny thing is on a box of federal 45/70 ammo it says it can be used for "varmint" such as a prairie dogs and other small varmints.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.