Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping around some of my .22 rifles.

I sold off my Walther G22 which was a great rifle just not a great fit for what I needed.

Because of the nationwide ammo shortage I have looked a little more seriously at tactical .22 and was looking on opinions for Walther vs Ruger.

Walther

Pros: They make accurate barrels that are superior to most semi auto 22's. The variety of guns is slightly better but i am specifically looking at the HK416 in both rifle and pistol format as well as the Walther G36 in .22

Cons: Long term parts availability, Walther customer support is about the worst I have ever experienced, the guns are slightly more expensive. Will not eat all .22lr ammo

Ruger

Pros: the 10/22 is the most customizable rifle ever made. I already own one so it could be part of a system. Price is great. options are great. I am looking at a tactical 10/22 and the 10/22 Charger that will take a folding brace. Parts available forever.

Cons: The rifles are not as accurate. From experience the rifles foul faster than the Walther rifles (same ammo). Deep cleaning takes more time. Rifle sensitive to dirty ammo.

Uses for both would be for tactical training and shoot skills. But I have also given thought to a defense rifle of last resort if all other ammo was not available.

What are your thoughts?
HK

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I don’t really like the 10/22. Too expensive for a gun that needs parts to be as good as some cheaper guns.

That said, a 10/22 Takedown is a pretty good option, assuming it’s accurate. Mine is decent...once I put in a BX trigger. I’ve since done some work on the trigger I took out, and it’s pretty nice now...but its frustrating to have to work on a $300 gun to get it to be decent. Threaded barrel is a plus.

Anyway...the takedown could become a “tactical” .22, if there is such a thing.

Parts availability forever, of course.

But I built $400 ARs last year that make that .22 less of a good choice.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
10/22 , usgi sling , tech sights, ruger bx-25 magazines

training rifle, meaning basic marksmanship trainer that can in extremis be pressed into service in a defensive role

[/thead]

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Take a look at the S&W M&P15-22. Basically a purpose-built AR in 22lr that seems to be pretty popular.

I picked up an older one that was used and in a recall, and had some troubles with it, but S&W took care of it, and replaced the gun with a new one, and the new gun has been fine.

Its not a bug hole target rifle, but its accurate enough for my needs. It seems to hit what I look at without to much trouble.

Doenst seem to be ammo sensitive, or at least with the variety (mostly CCI's) Ive tried so far.

Doesnt seem to be real "dirty" sensitive either. Its still a 22, and you always have to deal with that, but I havent had any troubles with function shooting a brick at an outing.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Take a look at the S&W M&P15-22. Basically a purpose-built AR in 22lr that seems to be pretty popular.

I picked up an older one that was used and in a recall, and had some troubles with it, but S&W took care of it, and replaced the gun with a new one, and the new gun has been fine.

Its not a bug hole target rifle, but its accurate enough for my needs. It seems to hit what I look at without to much trouble.

Doenst seem to be ammo sensitive, or at least with the variety (mostly CCI's) Ive tried so far.

Doesnt seem to be real "dirty" sensitive either. Its still a 22, and you always have to deal with that, but I havent had any troubles with function shooting a brick at an outing.
Yep, I have two, the original model when the first came out and the latest Magpul model both work great and are accurate. Mags are inexpensive and available, I have 50, 25 for each rifle, I load them up before we go to the range

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Good point on the M&P, I forgot that one. I have an older quad rail model, it runs fine.
Also, being in a free state, I can convert 10 round mags built using 25 round shells into 25 round mags in 30 seconds by knocking out a pin. What a great design!

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
No. Havent seen one. Not that Ive been looking. :)

Is it a dedicated 22LR, or a 416 with a 22 conversion unit?

You could always go that route if you really want a 416.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,600 Posts
a 10/22 with the fab defense m4 collapsible folding stock, ss barrel, bx mags and a sig romeo red dot is a formidable firearm

loaded w cci pre fragmented rounds at 1640 fps packs a wallop.

i can carry 4 25 rnd mags plus an additional 200 rnds very easily.

pretty much anything within 100yds is a target and i would not plan on a running gun battle.

i have yet to meet someone who will take incoming fire from one and the entire kit fits in a tennis racquet bag...

whatever, the goal, for me, is NOT to engage, but if need be, hit and run, then di di mau most quick...

ymmv....

·
the "d" from ban[d]
14,958 Posts
The first ammo shortage was caused by farm boys setting up tactical courses after getting .22 AR-15s for Christmas. IMO good for responsible country boys 12 and up. If you enjoy that buy that.

Otherwise I would stay away from takedowns. I have had 3 and still have two. The Browning is the most accurate. A takedown can never be as reliably accurate and never as precise is a bolt action or even a standard .22 semi-auto.

If your opinion or experience is different OK that is just my opinion take it or leave it. I have learned it is hard to argue with a man about his favorite gun. Nine times out of ten the difference is in the shooter not the gun.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I lack experience with the Walther but can comment on the Ruger Charger. I think one with a side folding brace works best (for me). I have a UTG slim rail replacing the stock shorty, so that I could add BUIS to go with a TR-25 red dot. It is accurate, reliable, fun, affordable.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The charger pistol certainly has come a long way....they do get pricey though when you outfit them properly.

HK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look into Tippman Arms M4-22. Ours has been solid and will run just about any ammo you can put through it, not nearly as picky as our other .22s. Also very accurate but most importantly, reliable.

·
reluctant sinner
16,883 Posts
So are you hunting tacticool rabbits or quail? Maybe you need a belt or drum fed unit in 22 LR.

You should train with the rifle you plan to defend your life with using the same ammo. Going plinking is a different story. Trigger time should be more that just making noise.

How exactly does practicing with an inaccurate firearm improve your skill at hitting the target?

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I am in the process of swapping around some of my .22 rifles.

I sold off my Walther G22 which was a great rifle just not a great fit for what I needed.

Because of the nationwide ammo shortage I have looked a little more seriously at tactical .22 and was looking on opinions for Walther vs Ruger.

Walther

Pros: They make accurate barrels that are superior to most semi auto 22's. The variety of guns is slightly better but i am specifically looking at the HK416 in both rifle and pistol format as well as the Walther G36 in .22

Cons: Long term parts availability, Walther customer support is about the worst I have ever experienced, the guns are slightly more expensive. Will not eat all .22lr ammo

Ruger

Pros: the 10/22 is the most customizable rifle ever made. I already own one so it could be part of a system. Price is great. options are great. I am looking at a tactical 10/22 and the 10/22 Charger that will take a folding brace. Parts available forever.

Cons: The rifles are not as accurate. From experience the rifles foul faster than the Walther rifles (same ammo). Deep cleaning takes more time. Rifle sensitive to dirty ammo.

Uses for both would be for tactical training and shoot skills. But I have also given thought to a defense rifle of last resort if all other ammo was not available.

What are your thoughts?
HK
I only have the 10/22. I’ve had mine 5 or so years. I have not actually cleaned it yet. I’ve been meaning to. And it shoots fine.

I’ve only got 800 or so rounds through it. And I usually don’t shoot the dirtiest ammo. Mostly coated ammo or copper.

It’s very reliable.

I like the walther. But I think every gun owner should have at least one 10/22.

If you want a better 10/22 Bergara makes a 10/22 clone that is more accurate and not much more than the walther.

That said I’ve been considering buying a walther as well as the M&P 22.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts