Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an AR15 which I just finished assembling and I LOVE IT! Also a Hi-Point .40 Pistol for myself and just bought my wife a Springfield XDM 9mm (picked it up last night :) as well as a 2- 12 ga shot guns (one - THE CANNON I call it that shoots only Hornady Slugs - my Deer Shotgun~! and a Ithica Model 37 with 3 barrels handed down form my grandpa to my father to me when I was 16, love it and very reliable)

I would love another AR for my wife but that may be a while, i'm waiting to snag a PSA lower for $50 when they go on sale again and slowly build it from there to save some more $ to eventually build another Mil Spec AR.

I can't seem to stop thinking about needing a .22 though, ammo is cheap, great to hunt small game with if needed, and my wife can shoot the crap out of a .22 if needed, and it'll hold her over to give me time to slowly build up the new AR. PLus it's just fun to plink around with the days we go shooting and cheaper than hammering out 5.56 rounds from my AR, which my wife is really getting into btw and thanked me a few days ago for introducing her to firearms and training her ;)

SO I would need/want a .22 with a Hi-round capacity magazine, very accurate, reliable, and tough etc. I'd like to to look sorta tactical and cool but I will take functionality over looks anyday....

Any ideas that would fit what I need/want?

So far I see it as I Need 4 more weapons:

- .22 Rifle ????????
- .40 (XDM or M&P for myself as my go to pistol, have a Hi-Point for my GHSB but is currently my primary handgun)
- 9mm Hi-Point for my wife's back-up GHSB Weapon in her vechicle
- AR15 (slowly build it for my wife, carbine since I have a middy)

Any advice on which .22 I should take a look at? Not looking to spend a ton of $ but open to whatever suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Only one good answer here, the 10/22. Its tough, reliable, proven, and highly versatile as there are so many aftermarket parts for it. Plus, the can take the 25 round BX-25 magazines. Since you like tactical stuff, it sounds like you want something like this...

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Rifle/models.html

Although, you need to understand that you would be just as well served from a cheaper model that doesn't look as cool such as the 10/22 carbine. Don't fool with any of the newer "tactical" .22's on the market as they are just designed as plinkers for the range.

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one good answer here, the 10/22. Its tough, reliable, proven, and highly versatile as there are so many aftermarket parts for it. Plus, the can take the 25 round BX-25 magazines. Since you like tactical stuff, it sounds like you want something like this...

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Rifle/models.html

Although, you need to understand that you would be just as well served from a cheaper model that doesn't look as cool such as the 10/22 carbine. Don't fool with any of the newer "tactical" .22's on the market as they are just designed as plinkers for the range.
I'm open to cheaper models that don;t look as cool also. What else would you suggest considering the cheaper models out that will get the same job done and hi cap mags like the 25rd you suggested?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased a used 10/22 that I am currently mod'ing. I have a 16" threaded barrel and a composite folding stock. This will be the first thing I grab but not the only.

·
Old Soldier
5,069 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm open to cheaper models that don;t look as cool also. What else would you suggest considering the cheaper models out that will get the same job done and hi cap mags like the 25rd you suggested?
Sure there are plenty of cheaper models that would serve you just as well as the 10/22 such as the Marlin 795, Marlin 60, and Remington 597. But if you want 25 round magazines the Ruger 10/22 is currently the best choice. All of the other .22LR's s/ Hi-cap mags either use mags that are actually non-enclosed such as the GSG-5 and MP-22 or they are just really cheap and flimsy like the ones for the Marlin 795 and Remington 597. The factory Ruger BX-25 round magzines are not only dead reliable, but they are affordable, durable, and easy to maintain as well. Not to mention that the Ruger is easily the most versatile of all the .22LR rifles on the market and you really have a no-brainer choice.:thumb:

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure there are plenty of cheaper models that would serve you just as well as the 10/22 such as the Marlin 795, Marlin 60, and Remington 597. But if you want 25 round magazines the Ruger 10/22 is currently the best choice. All of the other .22LR's s/ Hi-cap mags either use mags that are actually non-enclosed such as the GSG-5 and MP-22 or they are just really cheap and flimsy like the ones for the Marlin 795 and Remington 597. The factory Ruger BX-25 round magzines are not only dead reliable, but they are affordable, durable, and easy to maintain as well. Not to mention that the Ruger is easily the most versatile of all the .22LR rifles on the market and you really have a no-brainer choice.:thumb:
Do you have a link to the specific Ruger 10/22 your talking about? About how much should I spend on one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look at a Marlin 795. Its a great little affordable semi-auto .22 gun. Not as many accessories on the market as the ruger 10/22.

Usually can be bought new for $140-$160.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Do you have a link to the specific Ruger 10/22 your talking about? About how much should I spend on one?
Well, it really depends on what features that you want in a rifle. Do you want a bull barrel, scope mount, or tactical stock? If you are unsure, a good starting point is just a basic 10/22 carbine and then you can add or modify it later as you see fit and that would be my suggested route. The weapon would serve you just fine as it is and you won't spend extra money on features that you don't want/need. The most basic blued/synthetic model cost just over $200...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...our Synthetic Stock 22LR, Blued, Black Synth/

You can see some of the other models and see if they are anything you are interested in as well...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/79/Rifles/Ruger/Ruger+Rimfire+Autoloading

I started with the basic blued/synthetic model and I have made it into the .22LR that suites my needs best. See how mine turned out...

You can really turn them into whatever you want these days.

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of feedback do you guys know about the "Archangel" kit?

Looks cool. Can I buy the $200 RUger 10/22 and just add this kit for $130.00? Total around $330.00 ?

If so what real difference is there between this Archangel Kit with a Ruger 10/22 and the Ruger SR-22 Rifle?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Buy a 22 upper for an AR, it will give you a bit of extra practice with your weapon platform.

I wouldnt hold my breath on those PSA lowers going back to 50$, I saw that as a kind of "grand opening" sale to get the word out. PSA is selling their stuff like crazy and I dont see them reducing prices "just because".

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm digging the Archangel kit, I think my wife would love the way it looks. She's picky about what she wants but rightfully so.

I think this may be the way to go for me, I can save some $ and still have a nice .22 but I would be going with the AA922 Mags to complete the look (I do know a slight modification is required).

So now I just need to figure out which .22 to get.

SPITFIRE - Is the Ruger 10/22 you linked of high quality. I mean what do I look for when buying a .22 .....a BLUED barrel? Anything else?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...our Synthetic Stock 22LR, Blued, Black Synth/

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It's not tactical looking. But take a peek at the CZ 452 Ultra Lux. It's got a 28" frickin barrel on it (AFAIK, there is nothing longer without being an aftermarket custom barrel). Being that long and with its excellent iron sights, you'll be shooting the balls off a squirrel at 100 yards. Ignore what you may have heard about .22 being "optimal" with shorter barrels and "drag on the bullet" from longer barrels. You give up a slight fraction of fps in favor of some extreme accuracy and being very, very quiet. IMO, those are tactical characteristics.

They've been in production for a while and have a proven track record. Loved by all that shoot them. But they are being phased out in favor of the 455 series. Currently there is no 455 Ultra Lux. Although there are rumors that one will be available next year.

It's probably the best .22 that you can buy under $400.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/21729/CZ-USA+CZ452+Ultra+Lux+.22LR+28.6"

·
SEMPER FI
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not looking for a barrel that long but thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty set on the Ruger 10/22 with the Archangel Kit, It will be this or the Ruger SR-22 but I'm really wanting another .40 for myself so saving a little money and going with a Ruger 10/22 W/Archangel Kit sounds like a better option and i can buy it now instead of saving for the Ruger SR-22.

I guess I just need to know a little more info on the barrels of the .22, like which to get just the BLUED barrel in the link I posted from SPITFIRE or a bull barrel but then I wonder how heavy they are and again this is mainly for my wife so I don;t want to give her some heavy weapon she doesn;t like to carry, know what I mean lol. So I guess just tha standard Ruger 10/22 linked would be the way to go...UNLESS the BULL barrel has much more advantage to it then i'm aware? if so could someone tell me a little more about both?

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Forget about a bull barrel. You will see a better result in having a better trigger. Go to your local wallmart and pick up the Remington 597 in black or cammo synthetic stock for $167. In my (extensive) experience the 597 is more accurate than a 10/22. It is also cheaper, cheaper to upgrade (via a volquartzen hammer), comes with an ambi stock and floated barrel.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm digging the Archangel kit, I think my wife would love the way it looks. She's picky about what she wants but rightfully so.

I think this may be the way to go for me, I can save some $ and still have a nice .22 but I would be going with the AA922 Mags to complete the look (I do know a slight modification is required).

So now I just need to figure out which .22 to get.

SPITFIRE - Is the Ruger 10/22 you linked of high quality. I mean what do I look for when buying a .22 .....a BLUED barrel? Anything else?

Any factory 10/22 is going to be high quality and as far as features go, it depends on what you want. My point was that for a .22LR you do not NEED any of those features as the standard models work quite satisfactory for most purposes. Also, I would suggest that you save yourself some trouble and just get the factory BX-25 magazines as they cost the same as the AA955 mags and they are much better quality.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts