Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really need help on what scope i should get for my .22 nothing over 100 though i think i might get the BSA sweet .22 scope and gimme some answers please i am putting it on my ruger 10/22

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
For most .22 use inside of 100yds I like a decent 4 power shotgun scope. Fast to aim, wide objective, good eye relief, bright, not "overpowering". It just works good, but I recently went with a 3-9 variable and it works well also. Plus I can adjust the power. Most brands in the 40-70 dollar range are decent enough for a 10/22. Under a hundred? There are tons of quality manufactures of scopes in that range, just gonna have to find one that fits into your plans of use.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I'd do a little research on scopes before dropping any cash, as optics are one of those things you really don't want to skimp on. As I understand, BSA is widely considered so much junk, you can likely do better for around the same money.
Check out the optics section at other forums, like rimfirecentral and Thehighroad.org,for more info. Also,two great companies to purchase optics from are SWFA and opticsplanet.

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
For most .22 use inside of 100yds I like a decent 4 power shotgun scope. Fast to aim, wide objective, good eye relief, bright, not "overpowering". It just works good, but I recently went with a 3-9 variable and it works well also. Plus I can adjust the power. Most brands in the 40-70 dollar range are decent enough for a 10/22. Under a hundred? There are tons of quality manufactures of scopes in that range, just gonna have to find one that fits into your plans of use.
BSA is the answer.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
The only Tasco scopes considered worth a damn are their World Class series. Here's one that would fit your needs and budget.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5362-377-tasco-3-9x40-world-class-riflescope.aspx

Or this one from Bushnell.....
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2183-153-bushnell-3-9x32-22-rimfire-scope.aspx
Though Bushnell scopes are pretty mediocre,( except for the Elite series) should you have a problem,their lifetime warranty allows you to upgrade through the company to a higher end scope for a fraction of what you'd pay otherwise. I've done it, I turned a malfunctioning,low-end Banner that came on a Beeman pellet rifle into a very nice 3200 Elite Tactical for another $180 !!!

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,166 Posts
Check out inexpensive NC Star scopes. Plenty tough for a .22lr. Many of them come with milling type reticule. Even if you never measure anything with your milling reticule, the ability to use the milling dots as holdover points is awesome. Especially with all of the bullet drop that a .22lr has.

·
PERMANENTLY REDACTED
1,244 Posts
Hit up your local Ma&Pa gun shoppe...Older Redfields and Weavers can be had for pennies on the dollar!!!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Check out inexpensive NC Star scopes. Plenty tough for a .22lr. Many of them come with milling type reticule. Even if you never measure anything with your milling reticule, the ability to use the milling dots as holdover points is awesome. Especially with all of the bullet drop that a .22lr has.
I actually bought an NC Star scope used. It's an ultra short 3x9 tactical model for an AR. About 6" long or so. I think I paid $25.00 for it with rings. I put it on a 10-22...pretty good scope.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,166 Posts
I actually bought an NC Star scope used. It's an ultra short 3x9 tactical model for an AR. About 6" long or so. I think I paid $25.00 for it with rings. I put it on a 10-22...pretty good scope.
I've got their 4x and also a 6x compact rifle scope with the p4 sniper reticule.

I always ditch the free rings that come with the budget scopes. I've never had good luck with the free rings on 30 cal rifles, so I've always changed them out for inexpensive Weaver Quad Lock rings. They work. :thumb:

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
Hi there-

I have no interest in starting any trouble by engaging in a "my brand is better than your brand, YOUR scope SUCKS but MY scope is GREAT, your stupid 4x is bad but my 3-9x is perfect ETC. et al and so on".

What I will do and like to pass on is a few things I have learned and found to be extremely reliable working policies- ALWAYS BUY THE MOST SCOPE and the BEST SCOPE you can... what that means is spending the most $ you can ONCE and NOT HAVING to buy another scope in a month / 6 months/ 1 year/ etc.

I have learned the hard way with two NcStar "scopes" which were of course "just as good as any Aimpoint/EOTech/ACOG you can find!" And I ate that shop-owners lines up like chicken chow mein. And one lasted 4 months, one ... did not.

Now I use only highest quality I can afford and what the best application is. On my two .22LR "sporter" (regular) rifles , I use Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm's ... they were the highest level of ProStaffs a few years back (Nikon rebranded and reset the ProStaff line to include many higher levels of scopes now).

I have been thoroughly impressed with the ProStaffs and with Nikon as a whole. I bought myself a Monarch for my Remington 700 and another ProStaff 4X Rimfire for a Remington 597 .22LR for my Dad. We have found Nikon to be extremely high quality and extremely high value for the dollar... which is what you want IMHO.

NOT that you want Nikon I mean, you want the best value for dollar. That means you never settle and try to avoid brands where there is any question mark. I won't say anything about which brands I mean, not trying to insult anyone, but make sure you do your thorough searching before buying... BUY ONCE CRY ONCE.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't bother to waste your money on anything bsa, barska or nc-star. After nearly 30 years of shooting I shoot weaver and burris. I have a weaver classic 2-7 rimfire on my 22 rifle. For about $140 you can get the fixed 4x version.
You don't need a lot of power on a 22, mine rarely comes off 2x.

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
I'd do a little research on scopes before dropping any cash, as optics are one of those things you really don't want to skimp on. As I understand, BSA is widely considered so much junk, you can likely do better for around the same money.
Check out the optics section at other forums, like rimfirecentral and Thehighroad.org,for more info. Also,two great companies to purchase optics from are SWFA and opticsplanet.
Do more research. For a .22 out to 100 yards, a BSA is just fine. A cheap 3-9 Weaver would work fine too. Don't spend more than $100. Anything more than that is a waste of money, for OP's purposes.

The advice you've been given applies to high end precision rifles. You want to shoot F class, go spend some money on a good scope. You want to build an "ultimate" 10/22 like the guys on rimfirecentral, you might as well add a high end scope to your $1000 10/22 that doesn't actually contain any Ruger 10/22 parts. But that's not what OP is doing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts