Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a .22lr rifle and curious what others would recommend. I want something that is reliable above all other things, but accuracy is greatly appreciated. A semiauto is preferred but I'm open to any suggestion as long as it has a magazine.

Let the flaming begin.

·
Unseen
667 Posts
I would recommend the Marlin Model 60. Tube fed (which is considered a magazine). It is extremely reliable, and very accurate. I prefer it over the Ruger 10/22. If you want something that has a removable mag, and a full size gun then I would recommend the Remington 597. Better out of the box accuracy than the standard Ruger 10/22, and with the new mag design, they are very reliable. I now own 4 .22 rifles, one 10/22. one Rem 597, and 2 Marlin 60's. The Ruger is my least favorite do to its small size. I am 6'3", so little guns don't feel right with my long arms. Go to a gun shop and try on the models I mentioned and make a choice. With those 3 rifles, you can't make a bad choice, they are all great guns.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
If you can find it, it is not a semi auto, but for a .22 the Romanian M-69 Training Rifle, it has a 5 round magazine and flip up 25, 50, and 100 yard sights. I use it and it is a very accurate full sized rifle in .22 LR. Just my .02. If you want a more modern rifle, the 10/22 or the Remington will work, Marlin makes several good .22 rifles.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What? Nobody recommended the 10/22 yet?

Semiauto and takes a 10 round magazine. Extremely reliable and accurate for the money. $200

·
Registered
243 Posts
Some decent semi autos are the 597, marlin 60 and tompson center benchmark.

If you want a really accurate bolt action I suggest you look at the cz 452 line up.

·
Freedom Patriot
295 Posts
Ruger 10/22, extremely accurate, a huge aftermarket, and capacity up to 50 rounds. By far the best buy and will last for generations.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
How about a tubular magazine? I love the Marlin 39A. The heavy bull barrel makes it very accurate and steady to shoot. It may be a little on the heavy and costly side, but it is reliabale, dead nuts accurate, and just fun as heck to shoot.

The only downside is that reload time is long but you get 19 shots of lr and 26 shots of .22 short

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I would recommend the Marlin Model 60. Tube fed (which is considered a magazine). It is extremely reliable, and very accurate. I prefer it over the Ruger 10/22. If you want something that has a removable mag, and a full size gun then I would recommend the Remington 597. Better out of the box accuracy than the standard Ruger 10/22, and with the new mag design, they are very reliable. I now own 4 .22 rifles, one 10/22. one Rem 597, and 2 Marlin 60's. The Ruger is my least favorite do to its small size. I am 6'3", so little guns don't feel right with my long arms. Go to a gun shop and try on the models I mentioned and make a choice. With those 3 rifles, you can't make a bad choice, they are all great guns.

what kind of shot grps are you getting at 50 yards with the 597?

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
get a bolt or lever action .22
NO reliability issues. every semi auto jams sometimes.
great accuracy
shoots any ammo (22 short, 22long, 22 long rifle, hyper velocity. sub sonic. you name it.)

·
Unseen
667 Posts
what kind of shot grps are you getting at 50 yards with the 597?
I get about quarter sized groups at 50, but I am no great shot by any means. That is of course from a solid bench with bags, and scoped... most of the time, all touching, every once in a while, I get a flyer that lands an in or under in any direction but I attribute that to ammo.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I get about quarter sized groups at 50, but I am no great shot by any means. That is of course from a solid bench with bags, and scoped... most of the time, all touching, every once in a while, I get a flyer that lands an in or under in any direction but I attribute that to ammo.
With a scope that not bad. I was getting 2-4 inchers with my Nylon 66 the other day, 100 yards, iron sight that I sighted in at 25 yards. Bench shooting, standard velocity ammo, cheap stuff.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have several favorites from very old to modern.
If I were going shopping today I would look at the following and decide which one fitted my needs the most.

Henry lever action. Shoots everything .22RF shorts, long rifle, CB, Stingers, sub sonic you name it. Holds enough ammo too right out of the box. Slickest action you ever had in your hands.

Marlin Model 60. Great accuracy, tube feed but you can make your own speed loaders for near nothing. They shoot forever. Stainless one is my favorite.

Ruger 10/22 Good accuracy. If you like to tinker and spend money on add on gadgets this is the one for you. You can go from mild to wild. You can replace everything about these it only takes money. You can have every kind of mag from 10 round to 50 round.

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
Marlin Model 60
Ruger 10/22
Remington 597

All are great 22 semi autos, fun guns, tough as nails, and just easy to use.

I have heard some good things about the Mossberg Plinksters as well!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts