Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never have liked the AR-15/M-16. It is inferior to the AK-47 as a battle weapon, which is a planned acquisition, indeed.

I have a .22 magnum handgun and plan upon acquiring a rifle. I have two questions:

1) Which .22 magnum round would you use for hunting and which round would you use for anti-personnel?

2) Can you recommend a GOOD .22 magnum rifle for me?

You guys are awesome. Thanx!

Rhonda

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
.22mag,

I have a Marlin Mod. 783 bolt action with a 4x scope which for me is perfect. Depending on the wind it is a tack driver. It is tube fed, 13 and one in the chamber, means not having to reload alot.The recoil is very light, which also makes for good practice on trigger pull. Great for small game head shot's.
Hear say has a used one for around $110.00. I use Winchester or CCI ammo due to the fact I like Made in the U.S.A.. as often as I can. Both seem very accurate in my rifle. :thumb:

Keep your senses sharp and your weapon loaded and ready.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My very dear brother had one of those and liked it.

Until you reminded me of it, I had forgotten completely about it.

THANK YOU, sir. I will get one of those.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For plinking PMC makes a LRN that is unbeatable... CCI makes several rounds for the 22 mag and they are extremely reliable as well.. Remington also makes a couple (but pricey!) Just remember that different rounds are going to be different grain weights which are going to change point of impact.. And also different guns will prefer different ammo.. Best thing to do is get your gun and 1 box of every kind of ammo you can find! Go to the range and see what works best with that rifle..

Here's mine.. Hard to find Marlin 922m auto w/ the micro-groove barrel:

I outfitted it exclusively at wal mart for a little over $100.. It has a 4-16x40 and a nice sturdy bi-pod..

did I mention that it was sub MOA!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
my wife loves her marlin 25 in 22mag it has a removable 7rd mag
as for ammo cci makes some pretty deadly stuff, check out there web site
i have an old 22mag 22lr combo revolver that i keep in my day pack i keep that old girl loaded with cci maxi mags.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Marlin 980 in .22mag That I use for Coyote,
I like the maximag for the expansion when hunting.
But I just use S&B fmj for target.

Oh and I use a crossman/powerline 3-9x32 airgun scope,
zeroed at 150yds, I get 1" 5 shot groups with the S&B,
And 1/2"-3/4" with the CCI at 150yds.
the scope hasn't shifted or blured in 10 years of hunting use.
not a bad imho scope for $30 new.
J

·
Registered
72 Posts
believe me my dad has had a .22 magnum model94 winchester hes had his for almost 30 years it still works the best ammo i reccomend is winchester super x hollow point .

ps: my dads rifle has a tad of rust a few scratches and paint on the barrel he got it valued for just over $700:cool:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
CCI makes the best rimfire ammo on the market.Or at least the cleanest burning powder.

·
Registered
491 Posts
+1 on the CCI Maxi Mags.I carry CCI Maxi Mag +V 's in my NAA mini revolver.This gives me velocities that are compareable to a .22lr out of a rifle length barrel. This is the only .22 mag I have and it is a back-up to my primary CCW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Marlin 925M .22 magnum that I keep as a survival rifle. I have a Redfield 3-9x scope on it. I have used a variety of ammo in it. My personal preference for small hame in the Winchester or CCI fmj loads. The hollow points i find are too destructive without head shots. I have used remington soft points and i find them as a compromise between the expansion of the hollow point and less destructive effect of the FMJs. I also use the shot load on rats, mice and snakes.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
like ALL ammo it doesnt matter what every1 else likes what truely matters is what YOUR weapon likes each and every weapon will pefer a certain brands of ammo. the only thing ppl can truely tell you about ammo is if that brand has alot of duds, or if the powder is dirty ...ect but as far as accuracy that all depends on what your weapon likes that takes trial and error to find a brand or 2 that it really likes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts