Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I picked up a marlin 25M a few years ago, maybe 20? anyway, it is a good rifle for the money. this summer I plan on a trip out of state to shoot ground squirrels. It will tag along with me. I mounted a 3X9 scope on mine. Anything bigger that a silver dollar is mine up to 100 yards. Maybe more, I just don't use it that far. The plan is to take it and a couple of 22 center fires on a week long hunt. I may add a contender barrel in either 22 hornet or 223. I will know in 3 weeks when I load the expedition. The trip will cross off an item on my bucket list or start a new list. Bottom line is a 22 mag and 500 rounds are on the list. The ammo can is all ready loaded. Don't complain about the cost of ammo. $12.00 for a box of 22mag 50 rounds. Think real hard, what else can you purchase at that price? 22LR is about it. $8.00 for a box of 223? but it is only 20 rounds. Do the math. unless you reload, it is not that expensive.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The guy who butchered my pigs a few years ago used a bolt 22 mag with 30 gr bullets. Head shot from a few feet. He felt the shock from the light HP worked better than FMJs that most of the people here in the business use. With the correct projectile it will do good work for you. Many years ago, the neighbor's rotts were killing my goats. I called the sheriff and animal control. They cited him and told him to control his dogs. He said he had lived there longer than I, so I was the one who needed to protect my goats. Animal control said to shoot the dogs when they next attacked. 22 mag with a 50 gr HP dropped both rotts. Animal control picked up the dead dogs and thanked me for handling it.

·
I LOVE THIS PLACE
364 Posts
Hey Big John I think Jack Swilling was referring to beingto for jumping off thread. Nothing you have said in this thread could be considered off course

just my .02

·
That'll be the day...
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Gang, I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. Sure, I think I would have also been super happy with a lever, but for half the price, this Marlin may be one of the best buys in any gun store. The action is a little tight, but it will smooth out and break in quickly, especially with an initial cleaning and oil.

About two years ago, I purchased one of the modern Redfield scopes (that are owned and made by Leupold), a 3-9x40. I had the scope on a deer rifle, but moved to some else, so the scope has been lying around begging to be mounted and used.

The gun comes with 4 round and 7 round clips. The 4 round is nice, as it is a flush fit, which will be nice on the range. The 7 round will great for hunting.

I punched out the rear dovetail sight and unscrewed and removed the front sight. I purchased two Weaver bases and mounted them up with some lock-tight. A nice surprise was that I could use one of the base, plug screws to plug the screw hole at the front sight. It is nearly a perfectly flush fit and looks very clean.

Can't wait to take her to the range! I have purchased 5 boxes of 22WRM, different brands to see which loads the gun likes best. Once I dial her in and find her favorite pills, I will probably purchase 500 rounds of that recipe.

I really see this as my GO-TO-GUN for so many reasons moving forward.

Hey Big John I think Jack Swilling was referring to beingto for jumping off thread. Nothing you have said in this thread could be considered off course

just my .02

Never thought he was referring to me.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
For some background.... The first gun I graduated too from the .22LR, bolt action, child's version, was an old 22 Mag from my grandfather and with that gun I killed my first deer. At age 6, I hit her between the eyes at 25 yards.

For all these years, the 22 Mag has had a soft place in my heart, and I have never owned one.

Now with a $100 Cabelas Gift Card in hand from my daughter and some more cash that is burning a hole in my pocket, I have a serious LUST for this dude!

Henry Octagon-Frontier Model Lever-Action

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

PS. Don't waste your time trying to convince me that a 5.56 is better for a thousand different reasons. I am already good in that category.

I always love threads about thee calibers! I am probably this caliber's number 1 fan. I have owned a Winchester 1922 Magnum since I begged my parents for one in 1976. I also own 3 Ruger Super Single Six Convertibles. The most exceptional rifle and caliber that is non centerfire. The 22 magnum rifle kills like a centerfire within 125 yards. I could say so much more about this caliber. That being said however! It is not a varmint rifle. Varmints are too tough to kill with this caliber.

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
I have that same rifle but with a plastic stock. I like 22 mag but haven't warmed up to the rifle yet. Need to spend some more time getting to know it I suppose. There's a big rabbit getting in my garden that's going to become dog food the first chance I get to blast it, and the Marlin will be my go to for the task.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Gang, I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. Sure, I think I would have also been super happy with a lever, but for half the price, this Marlin may be one of the best buys in any gun store. The action is a little tight, but it will smooth out and break in quickly, especially with an initial cleaning and oil.

About two years ago, I purchased one of the modern Redfield scopes (that are owned and made by Leupold), a 3-9x40. I had the scope on a deer rifle, but moved to some else, so the scope has been lying around begging to be mounted and used.

The gun comes with 4 round and 7 round clips. The 4 round is nice, as it is a flush fit, which will be nice on the range. The 7 round will great for hunting.

I punched out the rear dovetail sight and unscrewed and removed the front sight. I purchased two Weaver bases and mounted them up with some lock-tight. A nice surprise was that I could use one of the base, plug screws to plug the screw hole at the front sight. It is nearly a perfectly flush fit and looks very clean.

Can't wait to take her to the range! I have purchased 5 boxes of 22WRM, different brands to see which loads the gun likes best. Once I dial her in and find her favorite pills, I will probably purchase 500 rounds of that recipe.

I really see this as my GO-TO-GUN for so many reasons moving forward.
I used to have the same rifle but with a composite stock. It was a tack driver. I ended up selling it to a coworker and I bought the Ruger American Rimfire, but in 22lr to match my 10/22. It's a nice rifle, but it's nowhere near as accurate as that Marlin. I also have an old Remington Targetmaster that I really like, but I do miss having a 22mag. I was actually thinking about getting the same Henry rifle you first posted about.

I hope that Marlin works out for you.

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
Big_John, you're making me search the online listings for a 22 mag...
I know guys that use them for coyote and pest control on the ranch, and I have a rated suppressor, so.... I think I need to pick one up for some quiet fun.

I'd love to get a lever in the caliber, but want a threaded barrel. So a good bolt would be fine.

This place is always spending my money... :rolleyes:

Reactions: hawgy54

·
That'll be the day...
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I know I can shoot my .223 for about the same price, but there is just something about..... dropping 25 rounds in your shirt pocket and slipping into the woods with your little rifle that is reasonably quiet with nearly zero recoil.

These are some things I greatly appreciate since I have slipped over the ole 50 mark.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I know I can shoot my .223 for about the same price, but there is just something about..... dropping 25 rounds in your shirt pocket and slipping into the woods with your little rifle that is reasonably quiet with nearly zero recoil.

These are some things I greatly appreciate since I have slipped over the ole 50 mark.
Reasonablely quiet. Quiet enough not to wear ear protection?

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Well, I ended up scoring a Marlin XT-22M in wood stock.

Yeah it is a bolt and not a lever, but I really like the gun and can't wait to get her to the range.

On top will be a Redfield 3-9x40............
I’m sad you didn’t get the lever gun.

I have an XT-22 in .22LR, very accurate rifle.

But I’d have suggested a CZ 457 in .22 Mag. More money, but more better than the Marlin. Nothing wrong with the Marlin. It’s just not a CZ.:eek::

·
Registered
565 Posts
I realize it's a bit late and you already bought the Marlin. However, if you decided to go back some day and pick up a 22 mag lever gun, look at the Henry Small Game (Rifle or Carbine) as it is basically the same gun as the Frontier, but comes with Skinner sights already installed. A very nice upgrade!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm a fan of the 22 mag myself. I got my first Marlin bolt in 1982. A walnut stock tube fed 783 that I have shot the snot out of. About 10 years ago I picked up a second Marlin 883 bolt with tube feed in stainless steel and laminate stock at a pawn shop for $135 OTD in almost unfired condition. Plus I have two Ruger single six convertibles with 22 mag cylinders.

And I have 5,500 rounds of 22 mag ammo on hand. I prefer the 40gr loads over the lightweight stuff. I think it carries better and seems to be more accurate for me. My bud has killed around 10 turkeys with his 883 Marlin.

If I bought another 22 mag it would be the Henry lever action with round barrel.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts