Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some background.... The first gun I graduated too from the .22LR, bolt action, child's version, was an old 22 Mag from my grandfather and with that gun I killed my first deer. At age 6, I hit her between the eyes at 25 yards.

For all these years, the 22 Mag has had a soft place in my heart, and I have never owned one.

Now with a $100 Cabelas Gift Card in hand from my daughter and some more cash that is burning a hole in my pocket, I have a serious LUST for this dude!

Henry Octagon-Frontier Model Lever-Action

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

PS. Don't waste your time trying to convince me that a 5.56 is better for a thousand different reasons. I am already good in that category.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I'm not a lever fan. I do have a 22 mag bolt and semi. I like the round. When it is not hunting season and I venture into the woods I usually carry the bolt with me. I don't like looking for brass when I take the hornet. I have used the round on ground squirrels and rotts that were killing my goats. I think you have made a fine choice. I would advise to stay away from the winchester dyna points. Hollow points are great for squirrels. I keep a few boxes of CCI or Anguilla soft points for small game should the need arise. I'm fantasizing a 22 mag pistol. Most decent 22 mag pistols are not legal in California. May need to do an out of state gun show or two

·
Banned
229 Posts
you do so much rapidfiring with the Hornet? why can't you just put your left hand over t the ejection port, work the bolt with the rifle on its side and have the empty casing fall right into your hand?

·
Banned
229 Posts
I averaged a "new" (to me, at least) gun per month for 10 years, in my 20's. and I got over that "gun-fever" stuff. I lost money on the first 50 or so. To make any money on them, even when obtained at dealer cost or less, used, I had to gunsmith them. I haven't seen anything I wanted since the P938 sig came out and that's been almost 10 years now. I dont see any reason to own more than 3 pistols and one longarm, actually, and if it were not for the wife needing to train,, I would not bother to own the belt 9mm (alloy framed commander variant of the 1911. I altered the Beretta M21 to be SA only, so as not to screw up her training with different action types. The AR in 223 and the .22lr conversion unit will do anything that needs done with a longarm. You can always hunt and compete with the fighting guns, so I dont bother with "sport only" firearms. i'd much rather be a world class shottist with 3 guns, which I can actually CARRY , than half arsed with a dozen or more. Mixing in bolt actions, revolvers, levers, pumps, shotguns, etc, just horses up your training for no real reason.

·
Banned
229 Posts
I dont have un-reasoned "likings". As Socrates said, "the un-examined life is not worth living". I just cant see spending the time and money on lots of different stuff, when I need to be casting, loading and practicing with the few guns that make sense. What can you do with the 22 mag that can't be done better with the AR and the .22 unit (along with being able to lots of things that you can't do with the lever .22 mag)?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If the cost of 22mag ammo is of no consequence, I say do it.

I love lever actions, I have the same model you're looking at in 22lr...lots of fun. :cool:

Also have

Henry 45lc
Marlin's in 357 and 3030 with the JM bullseye

Anyone who has never fired a lever action doesn't know how much fun they're missing.

·
Banned
229 Posts
I have fun by WINNING combat matches, which can't be done with lever actions. I dont have the slightest hint of nostalgia appreciation in me. I dont care what my stuff looks like, except for my wife I spent $10,000 to get her from Asia, cause she had a dentist practice there. :) She's also a looker and less than half my age. Her family loves me, cause I've saved two of them from death over the years. Her father and one of her sisters.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Do you make it a habit of posting nonsense in the context of the thread ?????
I do not understand what on earth your intentions are ?????

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

I think that would be a great gun to add
It is my intention to add a Henry .22 mag at some point

I have always liked the .22 mag

·
Banned
229 Posts
when the country is coming apart around your ears, the nonsensical part is messing around with sport only guns.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have un-reasoned "likings". As Socrates said, "the un-examined life is not worth living". I just cant see spending the time and money on lots of different stuff, when I need to be casting, loading and practicing with the few guns that make sense. What can you do with the 22 mag that can't be done better with the AR and the .22 unit (along with being able to lots of things that you can't do with the lever .22 mag)?
I went through a HUGE purging of firearms about 3-4 years ago, getting rid of rare ammo. I had many, many guns in no less than 19 different chamberings. I still have a lot, but nothing near 19.

Like I said... I just dig the 22 Mag and already have two pistols.

If the cost of 22mag ammo is of no consequence, I say do it.

I love lever actions, I have the same model you're looking at in 22lr...lots of fun. :cool:

Also have

Henry 45lc
Marlin's in 357 and 3030 with the JM bullseye

Anyone who has never fired a lever action doesn't know how much fun they're missing.

I wasn't a lever fan until I inherited a Model 94 in 30-30 from the collection of firearms that was 'owned' by our cattle ranch. The gun was really beat around in pickups over the years. I completely tore it down and refinished it, keeping much of the patina. It is gorgeous, with 37 notches on the stock, representing the number of Mule Deer, White Tail, Antelope and Javelina it harvested. Two years ago I entered myself into a Thanksgiving Pumpkin Shoot and I won the whole competition with that open sight 94. I instantly fell in love with levers!

Since, I have purchased several more, including a 44 Mag to compliment my 44 Mag Revolver and love them both!

Do you make it a habit of posting nonsense in the context of the thread ?????
I do not understand what on earth your intentions are ?????

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

I think that would be a great gun to add
It is my intention to add a Henry .22 mag at some point

I have always liked the .22 mag
Yes Sir.... I think it is just a love affair, infatuation for me to have a 22 Mag Lever in an octagon barrel and I sure hope the wood is as 'purty' as in that pic.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when the country is coming apart around your ears, the nonsensical part is messing around with sport only guns.
Let's see here.....

I can carry a couple hundred rounds in my pockets.
I can drill an apple at 100 yards with open sights.
Tube mag holds 12 rounds.
Tosses a pill at over 2,200 fps.

Seems pretty utilitarian to me and maybe a great SHTF long gun.

Maybe some of us love guns and sometimes just buy a gun because of the lust for it. Kinda like I did with my Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative Model 94 30-30 with 26" barrel.

·
Amateur of all trades
551 Posts
Big John,
I am 97.3% convinced a .22 mag rifle will be my next purchase. Big toss up between a BSEV Savage bench rest (to match the one I have in .22lr) or a Henry lever.
THEN, should I decide on the Henry, my only question is if there be any functional difference between the octagonal bbl vs. round. I'm leaning towards round for the weight factor. After all, it's a rimfire, not a .45-70. Whatcha think?

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,611 Posts
you have my vote. I had the pistol (Mare's Leg) version and regret ever letting it go. It was very accurate. I strongly recommend the fiber optic upgrade for the front sight. I have them on almost all of my lever guns.

·
High Concept
4,851 Posts
For some background.... The first gun I graduated too from the .22LR, bolt action, child's version, was an old 22 Mag from my grandfather and with that gun I killed my first deer. At age 6, I hit her between the eyes at 25 yards.

For all these years, the 22 Mag has had a soft place in my heart, and I have never owned one.

Now with a $100 Cabelas Gift Card in hand from my daughter and some more cash that is burning a hole in my pocket, I have a serious LUST for this dude!

Henry Octagon-Frontier Model Lever-Action

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

PS. Don't waste your time trying to convince me that a 5.56 is better for a thousand different reasons. I am already good in that category.

Why not the old Winchester 9422M, I’ve used them all and nothing compares to my winny.

·
That'll be the day...
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I am on the verge of pulling the proverbial trigger......

Not what I suggested above, but now looking at a Marlin. The Henry's are out of stock and backordered everywhere I called (only Bass Pro and Cabelas, as that is where I have a $100 gift card).

Marlin XT-22M Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle with Hardwood Stock - .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire

·
Registered
555 Posts
I do not see any there right now, but be aware that you can use the gift card towards stuff in the Cabela's Gun Library. If it is in one that is not local, they will transfer to your local for $25 which gets credited to the sale if you take the gun. If you watch, they have some crazy deals and sometimes rare stuff. I picked up LNIB Savage 24 from them in .223/20ga about a year ago. I missed a CZ75 Tact with box for $399 recently though. Good or cheap stuff can go quick.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts