Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The ammo is more expensive,but there is no kick for either caliber.The 223 kicks no more than the 22. The wee ones will love it.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Don't buy colts latest offering they flat out suck
Please elaborate as I do have a Colt AR15 match target competition H-BAR I bought back in '95. It's been one hell of a dependable rifle....hunted in the worst of weather.....it never once jammed or failed at the moment of truth. I also have the .22LR conversion kit which fits both of my AR's and so far trouble free

·
Registered
206 Posts
Please elaborate as I do have a Colt AR15 match target competition H-BAR I bought back in '95. It's been one hell of a dependable rifle....hunted in the worst of weather.....it never once jammed or failed at the moment of truth. I also have the .22LR conversion kit which fits both of my AR's and so far trouble free
I'm talking about colts latest dedicated 22 LR AR I know one guy who returned one to the factory 3 times each time it came back with the same problem. The biggest POS colt ever put their name on.

·
Tacoma WA
182 Posts
Tactical solutions makes an upper that will attach to any AR15 lower (without a notched hammer).

Aside from the training and ammo savings mentioned earlier, TacSol makes a lightweight threaded barrel version for a suppressor. Their barrels are accurate.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Even the colt website calls this a "tactical style replica". Colt does not even manufacture them, just authorize the Colt stamp on it. Umarex makes it (a BB gun manufacturer).The words "Tactical" and "Rimfire" should not be in the same sentence. Biggest POS colt ever gave their name to. Just another example of tactical really meaning tacti-cool. For $600, I could pick you out one seriously accurate .22.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I'm saving for a M&P 15/22.....but then again I'm also saving for 5 or 6 other weapons...LOL
I messed around with one of those the other day at the range. Fun, but I couldn't see myself paying that much for a dedicated .22 AR when a 10/22 is a 1/4 of the cost at the most.

I do have a conversion kit for one of my AR's though. It's fun for plinking, saves money and the closest range to me is indoors and doesn't allow rifles unless they are .22's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dedicated Colt 22LR ar type carbine is sub par to the Sig522/S&W/M&P.
It has less platform function features then the others and the general shooting public opinion is not very good. Real Colt AR's are part of the current benchmark and until I saw the prior post about the sub contractor building these I did not understand how a Colt could be so crappy. I would like to see a link or such to confirm how/where they are produced. I will try to find out as well .

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
I'm saving for a M&P 15/22.....but then again I'm also saving for 5 or 6 other weapons...LOL
S&W? I just got mine. Haven't gotten out to the range with it yet, though. :(

Tip: They are waaaay backed up on magazines so order those way in advance and you miiiight have some spares when your rifle comes in.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
pros besides ammo cost savings & training the wee ones on a big rig?
I built a dedicated upper from an older 1/12" M16 barrel. I chopped it off at 16" for my daughter and blocked off the gas port and removed the tube as it's not needed and keeps additional gunk out of the chamber. I only have a Ciener (want to pick up a CMMG) .22LR bolt and it works like a charm!

I do run them kind of wet, so make sure your kids have good glasses as they will get splattered a little.

Great idea for introducing the kids to AR platforms and if you have an AR already, you just need the bolt/mags or get a complete dedicated upper for better accuracy. Also, the collapsible, multi-position stocks are also great for the kids to "grow" into.

Make sure you have a couple of "good" magazines so the kids are getting frustrated by FTEs. I will say that after a couple hundred rounds, the AR needs a good cleaning as they get pretty dirty and start having issues. The good news is that your kids will get a lot of practice on clearing, SPORTS and all the safetly involved:D:

ROCK6

·
Prepping = life insurance
1,458 Posts
Found some videos on these:

Quick review: S&W M&P 15-22 versus Colt

S&W M&P 15-22 FTE's
(My understanding is that this is due to a bent/damaged extractor.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was looking pretty hard at them this weekend at a gun show, in the end couldn't justify the cost over just getting another 10/22.

But, of the Colt, M&P, and the Ruger SR-56 lookalike I personally liked the Ruger version the most. The weight and feel just seemed more like the real deal. The M&P felt really light and the foregrip felt cheap to me. Didn't even really look too hard at the Colt due to the bad reviews on feeding problems. Obviously the Ruger version isn't a true AR-15 clone, but is similar enough to get the jist. Definately put your hands on all of them before buying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts