Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the gun shop picking up some .22 LR and noticed they have these AR-15 looking semi-auto rifles that take regular .22 LR ammo.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're paying $300-$400 more to have it look like an AR. What's the point?

Get a 10/22 for $100 and spend $60 for a new stock and you've got the same thing.

OK. Now I understand. It seems to me that the Ruger 10-22 stuff around here already seems to be a couple hundred. My only that was that by the time I paid for the mods and mags, I'd be close to the $300 mark anyway.

I have looked at the SR-22, but can't seem to find any good deals.

My first thought was that the Bushmaster .223 is just to rich for my blood. So, for the same money, I could get about 3 of these .22 deals or 3 SR-22s. And of course, the ammo is cheaper.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
100-150 for a ruger
or 300-500 for the look alike ar

·
Registered
71 Posts
Allow me to give two reasons:
1) I own a Sig 556 (rifle that shoots the .223/556)...just bought the Sig 522. They appear almost identical. The 522 allows me train on a gun with similar actions, but at MUCH lower cost to shoot.
2) Since this is a "prepper" site, allow a little "far-out" thinking. A person seeing my 522 wouldn't know it's not an EBR, since even the magazines look like 556's. Were I to be confronted with a dozen armed men, all toting what looked like "military" rifles, I would be much more concerned than if they had a hodge-podge of arms. Just a thought.

I love my 522. It's more accurate "out-of-the box" than my other .22 rifles (10/22's, others). Personally, I think it's worth the extra money to take a stock .22 rifle such as the Ruger 10/22, and make it look more like a EBR. One doesn't need to, but every advantage I can have, I want to take...including causing the other person to think I'm more heavily armed than I really am.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Allow me to give two reasons:
1) I own a Sig 556 (rifle that shoots the .223/556)...just bought the Sig 522. They appear almost identical. The 522 allows me train on a gun with similar actions, but at MUCH lower cost to shoot.
2) Since this is a "prepper" site, allow a little "far-out" thinking. A person seeing my 522 wouldn't know it's not an EBR, since even the magazines look like 556's. Were I to be confronted with a dozen armed men, all toting what looked like "military" rifles, I would be much more concerned than if they had a hodge-podge of arms. Just a thought.

I love my 522. It's more accurate "out-of-the box" than my other .22 rifles (10/22's, others). Personally, I think it's worth the extra money to take a stock .22 rifle such as the Ruger 10/22, and make it look more like a EBR. One doesn't need to, but every advantage I can have, I want to take...including causing the other person to think I'm more heavily armed than I really am.
I always thought the AR looking 22's were a waste of money. You have a very valid point I have not considered. I wanted one of these but did not see the value. Now I must rethink my stand. I am not sure if I should thank you or swear at you (LOL).

Thanks

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,467 Posts
A person seeing my 522 wouldn't know it's not an EBR, since even the magazines look like 556's.
That's probably a good thing. Tacti-cool .22s are a great way to get laughed off the shooting range.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey...speaking of .22s what's the difference in standard long rifle,hollow points and subsonic ammo?
Does subsonic still have the accuracy and power?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Hey...speaking of .22s what's the difference in standard long rifle,hollow points and subsonic ammo?
Does subsonic still have the accuracy and power?
sub sonics do not travel faster than the sound barrier thus are quieter

hollow points just expand a lil more in game and standard lr rounds are just that usualy either hollow points or lead nosed

·
Registered
60 Posts
The .22lr AR's are used primarily as training weapons for a lower cost. You get the same function as AR's and get the muscle memory. CMMG also makes conversion kits for ARs that replaces the bolt and magazine.

I would recommend getting an AR as a battle rifle then either getting one in .22 or obtaining a conversion kit for it so you can shoot it for a lower cost. I have a conversion kit for my Glock and I shoot about 400 rnds a month out of it for training purposes.

.... And I agree with Donls.... the .22 versions of battle rifles are good tools. The Sig556 and the 522 are both really well built rifles and I would recommend them to anyone.

I think having a 10/22 would be a good place to start. You can build them up as much as you want or just leave it stock and have an awesome rifle.

Oh... and having a .22lr AR or 522 will not get you laughed off the range. A lot of people are usuing them as training aids.

·
Sniper-Tec
305 Posts
My concern with the AR .22's would be how do they hold up? The 10/22 has a long track record for reliability, parts availability and accuracy. High capacity magazines are available for a reasonable cost compared to the lookalikes.

don't like the trigger pull on a 10/22? There are several excellent aftermarket suppliers of trigger parts ( and barrels, stocks,etc.).

Overall the 10/22 is the better value. $217 at Wally World. I am a gun dealer and the cost of the lookalikes wholesale is closer to $400. The GSG-9 is over $400.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
The .22lr AR's are used primarily as training weapons for a lower cost. You get the same function as AR's and get the muscle memory. CMMG also makes conversion kits for ARs that replaces the bolt and magazine.

I would recommend getting an AR as a battle rifle then either getting one in .22 or obtaining a conversion kit for it so you can shoot it for a lower cost. I have a conversion kit for my Glock and I shoot about 400 rnds a month out of it for training purposes.

.... And I agree with Donls.... the .22 versions of battle rifles are good tools. The Sig556 and the 522 are both really well built rifles and I would recommend them to anyone.

I think having a 10/22 would be a good place to start. You can build them up as much as you want or just leave it stock and have an awesome rifle.

Oh... and having a .22lr AR or 522 will not get you laughed off the range. A lot of people are usuing them as training aids.
Epic post. I agree 100%. I don't care about what others think. An ar15 is a .22 on steroids anyways.

Personally would like to have one. The price difference isn't all that much. If you own an ar15, then I highly suggest you get one.

I like the ruger 10/22 period. Its a very good rifle. If I had the money I would have a ar15 in .22 AND a ruger 10/22.

Other then the ar15 in .22 being quiter, the bullet holes will be about the same size. The magazines are the same size also. So aside from being quiter, you will see little difference IMHO. If some guy laughs, return the favor telling him the louder the bang the more the recoil, the cheaper the rifle.

He will get frustrated, and scour the internet trying to find a way to make his ar15 as quite as your .22.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well there seems to be problems with the Smith & Wesson 15/22. I have several friends that have purchased these and have had to send them in...... S&W reworked them changed the springs and all seems to be OK now. It's just the hassle of the shipping and all the waiting to get it back. It seems that maybe S&W pushed this one into production a little too fast............... by the by I'm a real S&W fan, so it hurts to type this.
One of my friends had one that went into full auto and broke the feedramp off of the barrel,.......... It was repaired free of charge but there again all the hassle and time involved.
Around here these are going for right at $500.00 quite a price to pay for all the problems incurred.

Ric
Any handgun used for personal protection is all right by me, as long as it begins with 4 and ends with 5.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Donls: With all due respect, if you are "confronted with a dozen armed men, all toting what looked like "military" rifles" I think you should be VERY concerned even if they are toting "a hodge-podge of arms".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts