Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking different .22 ammo and I noticed they have a # then grain.

What does that mean?
Is one better than another?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On your second question, you normally find that hollow points are 36gr or under (33 for Hypervelocity or those type of variants), and solid nose bullets are 40gr. This is where you have to figure out your usage. Now i'm not sure whether a certain type of firearm would shoot one grain better (like centerfire cartridges), but I would gather there would be some truth to that.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Usually the lighter the bullet (the fewer the grains) the faster the bullet will fly. The faster the bullet flies the more energy it contains and therefore the more effective it will be when it hits the target; to a point. Most .22lr ammo these days is "high velocity". CCI Stingers and Remington YellowJackets (to name a couple) use lighter bullets and are classified as "hyper-velocity". In many cases, but not always, the hyper velocity ammo is not quite as accurate as the slower stuff and the hyper-velocity ammo can damage a lot of the meat if your target is a small animal, like a squirrel.

Don't get hung up on the weight of the bullet. Pay attention to the speed of the round. As I said "normal" (e.g. cheap) these days is "high velocity". You pay extra for "standard", "sub-sonic" and "Hyper" velocity ammo...

Allan

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Usually the lighter the bullet (the fewer the grains) the faster the bullet will fly. The faster the bullet flies the more energy it contains and therefore the more effective it will be when it hits the target; to a point. Most .22lr ammo these days is "high velocity". CCI Stingers and Remington YellowJackets (to name a couple) use lighter bullets and are classified as "hyper-velocity". In many cases, but not always, the hyper velocity ammo is not quite as accurate as the slower stuff and the hyper-velocity ammo can damage a lot of the meat if your target is a small animal, like a squirrel.

Don't get hung up on the weight of the bullet. Pay attention to the speed of the round. As I said "normal" (e.g. cheap) these days is "high velocity". You pay extra for "standard", "sub-sonic" and "Hyper" velocity ammo...

Allan
Birdman is correct and physics behind his point is simple.

The kinetic energy of the bullet impact is equal to ONE HALF the mass of an bullet times its velocity SQUARED. So the velocity plays the more important part.

Use this calculator to see for yourself.

http://www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm

·
Registered
311 Posts
here is my take on the ammo issue.
Note in GA the sales tax rate is 7% so if $10 the total is $10.70
CCI stinger is expensive. 100 rounds is about $9-10 plus tax or 10.7 cents per round
The positive side is that if you have a good rifle it will not jam.
the down side is price.

remington I can purchase a box of 550 rounds for $13 plus tax or 2.5 cents per round
Jams occasionally and some glue/residue is found on some of the rounds
Plus side is that you get 4X the bullets for the same money...BONUS
I will do some additional cleaning of the rifle for the savings in ammo.

Winchester I can get a box of 333 rounds for $10 plus tax or 3.21 cents per round

I find that the Winchester and the Remington gold (all hollow points 32 grain I believe) shoot about the same. The CCI/Stinger are faster but 3-4 times the cost.

The most deadly is the CCI/Stinger due to the increased speed....The value which I prefer is the remington gold box of 550 rounds. Hope this is helpful for you.
D Rock

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
If I need penetration or I taking head shots on Rabbits, Squirrels or shooting birds I would use the often times cheaper 40gr solids. If I desired tissue damage the lighter weight, higher speed, hollow points would be the ticket.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i would get several different brand and different weights and see which one your weapon likes best. which one has the tightest shot grp then zero your weapon to that ammo and buy nothing but that ammo. no matter the weight a .22 bullet is going to kill any small game, with shot placement you can kill up to a wild boar (150lb). point is ,let your weapon decide what ammo it likes and go with that.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Do anybody know the CCI Velocitor and tested the ammo?

How much energy do the Velocitor have compared with the Stinger?
Here's CCI's website < http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx >

To answer your question

Stinger -- 191 f/p energy at the muzzle, 32 gr bullet travelling 1640fps
Velocitor -- 183 f/p energy at the muzzle, 40 gr bullet travelling 1435fps

Haven't used the Velocitor. Personally I like Remington Yellow Jackets instead of the CCI ammo

Allan

·
15T :)
505 Posts
how about those "varmint grenades" ? has anyone tried those and do they work?

supposed to fragment entirely upon impact causing severe bleed out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's CCI's website < http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx >

To answer your question

Stinger -- 191 f/p energy at the muzzle, 32 gr bullet travelling 1640fps
Velocitor -- 183 f/p energy at the muzzle, 40 gr bullet travelling 1435fps

Haven't used the Velocitor. Personally I like Remington Yellow Jackets instead of the CCI ammo

Allan
Thank you for the answer!

OK I think the Velocitor will have more energy than the Stingers at 50 yards.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Looks like that's the case based on CCI's ballistics chart. At 50 yds Stingers have 119 f/p and Velocitors have 134 f/p...

Allan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of my .22lr chambered guns perform best with 40gr solids, either CCI Mini-Mag or CCI Blazer's. Those that shoot best with lighter 36gr hollow points do so with CCI Mini-Mag's or Winchester X-Pert 22 ammo. Lighter bullets like those used in the Yellow Jackets or Stingers are a waste of money in my guns because the accuracy is down right terrible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts