Survivalist Forum banner

.218 Bee & .22 Hornet & .256 Winchester Magnum (CLASS of CARTRIDGES) Discussion.

915 35
So, I am wanting to get a refresher and "Deeper" education reference a class of small centerfire cartridges. Much smaller the 5.56X45 size. I am actually looking for some good articles comparing that size cartridges. (I suck at finding things on internet)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· reluctant sinner
22,681 Posts
I think when the 222 Rem came out a lot of old stuff rolled over and died.

22 Hornet is small case capacity so velocity is limited. The old ones were .223 not .224 in diameter. The story is Eskimo's loved the take down military survival 22 Hornet bolt action using full metal jacketed and would shoot polar bears and stuff in the head. I had a H&R 20ga and 22 Hornet set. The 20 was light to carry, the same size barrel in 22 was a brick.

I never fooled with the Bee, lever guns aren't know for accuracy.

I did shoot the Ruger Hawkeye single shot pistol in 256 a few rounds. Never wanted to buy one.

I think it will be hard to find loaded ammo or brass for any of them.

· reluctant sinner
22,681 Posts
The 5.7x28 was plastic coated brass (might still be) for extraction purposes. It wears of patchy after a few reloads - MEK peroxide with finish removing it. Chamber pressure are still high enough at unlocking and moves the shoulder forward, so you will be full length sizing the brass every time in autoloaders. I helped a guy on gunbroker figure out loading for it IIRC he had the FN pistol.

I'd bet money these will fit your magazine.

I'm near 100,000 rounds of 44 Mag shot in the last 30 years. Most all of it was my own cast bullet 245 gr Keith Lyman "# 429421". From a good handgun they will shoot threw an elk, often found under the hide on the off side.

Yes I have shot some factory stuff, bought some factory bullets, even have a 1/2 and 3/4 jacketed swaging tool. Cast bullets work just about as good, same for the 45-70 and anything else that is less than about 2000 feet per second.

· reluctant sinner
22,681 Posts
For older stuff, the Lyman 310 system is a very nice pocket reloading tool. Ebut and other places still have some.

This is my 45-70 set weight is less than 2#. Has the optional full length tap in case sizer and the cast bullet sizer. You can lube the bullets with your grease on your fingers. Missing is the big spoon or a ladle to melt/pour lead and a stick to cut the spru off. Can be done on a camp fire. The tong tool handle is the steel one ( cost extra if you can find one) that takes the insert (only made in 1957) it and the later alloy handles can fit other cartridges, tho its better to have the Large size for rifle ammo and Small for pistol stuff. I used an L for everything for like 30 years worked good enough.

My 222 Rem set will also do the 221, 223, 222 rem mag. Neck sizing only is the rule for 310 dies - no one has the hand strength to full length size brass. There are Lyman Jr dies that look the same but work in the bench press and do FL size. There is and adapter to take the small dies (5/8 something) out to standard 7/8-14.

· reluctant sinner
22,681 Posts
My Uncle Dutch brought back some Jap rifles. I have his 6.5 T38. He hand picked from like railroad cars full of them. The family story was there were foot lockers of ammo and he shot each one several times and kept the best one. He also said their ammo was way more smokeless than ours. It pays to have a family line of shooters. I have working bullet molds from Grandpa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts