Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a 20rd fixed magazine for an SKS? You know, the ones with the star on the side. I have been using 20rd Tapco magazines instead of the 10rd fixed magazine, but am thinking I would like to go back to feeding it with stripper clips, but would still like the 20rd capacity.

·
one shot 2 kills :P
57 Posts
i personaly like the 20 round tapco's, and have never had a problem loading them with stripper clips, when they are still in the gun. as for a non detachable, try gunbroker.com or a gun show, you also may have some luck on craigslist.com or one of your local newspaper's classifieds. also don't forget about 922R.

Stay safe have fun Sammy:thumb:

·
Liberty or Death
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is possible to load the Tapcos from the top with strippers, but I have found it to be difficult. It was MUCH smoother with the original 10 rd fixed magazine. Not sure if it will be the same with a 20 rd fixed magazine but would like to give it a try. We have a gun show coming up in a week, maybe I will give that a try. I just hate spending $10 for admission, and then fighting my way through all the crowds at those things. Would rather order one online somewhere.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,166 Posts
The supply of red star fixed 20 rounders dried up years ago. You might find one on Gunbroker, but expect to pay big. I see them regularly at gun shows too, but again, prices have risen a lot. They're the only other truly reliable option other than the Tapco mags.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
MikeK is right. Those red star 20s were great. I sold one many years ago, but later
picked up one which doesn't have the star stamped on it (still the same one made by
the chinese).

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
They are reliable. However, that 2nd 10 round stripper clip is cumbersome to reload. Consider them to still be a 10 round rifle, with a 20 round head start. I like the original 10 round magazine over them. While shooting offhand, that 10 round can be easier to do a close hold, if that is your style of shooting offhand.

They go for about 40-50 bucks. Register on SKS boards. There is one for sale right now. You can get them for $40-50 shipped.

·
68,166 Posts

·
Flight To The Fight - AKs
217 Posts
That's not what the poster was asking for, and those 30 and 40 rounders are for the most part, junk. I don't know an SKS collector yet, myself included, that doesn't have a box full of them from various makers that he's tried over the years that didn't work.
I know, buddy. If you'd read two posts up from yours you'd seen my apology. Wrong link and I forgot what one to supply him with that was the right one. :thumb:

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
You can get the tapco ones to work with strippers, use a file and take your time, just have to make the clip notch same as the factory unit

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
A gun show will probably have someone who is selling them--either with or without the stars on the box. It will work, but they are a tad pricey now. I remember when they were 15 hondos or so. I'd get one of these over a tapco... if you want to top-load them that is. The Tapco's even with the lip-mod do not top-load smoothly enough. But they will click in fast if you want to carry extra in a drop-pouch arangement. And Tapco mags always seem to feed nicely. I am wary however of them in a hot enviroment--I am wondering what the heat and spring tension will do to a full loaded mag.

FYI--I am making a coversion kit and adapter for Tapco 20/30 round magazines so that the mag will snap into the SKS like a regular AK mag. But there will be no mods to the reciever, just an adapter that snaps into the mag-well. I am cutting the duck-bills off of a couple tapco mags and metal bonding/fabricating/riveting something similar to the AK style hasp.

The mock-up seems to work fine, now I am in the process of moding an actual mag. I'm also going to mod a metal mag made by Pro-mag after this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also... take a look at the metal mags made by Pro-mag now. Quality seems to have improved. Their 20 rounder will work and top feed nicely. I have a couple of their 1st generation non-detachable mags, which after some fiddling (adjusting/polishing/filing) the feed lips and foward ramp--they top-load real smooth! If you buy one of these get it off the shelf at Cabella's or Pro Bass Shop--they stock the latest stuff.

St

Attachments

·
68,166 Posts
Also... take a look at the metal mags made by Pro-mag now. Quality seems to have improved. Their 20 rounder will work and top feed nicely. I have a couple of their 1st generation non-detachable mags, which after some fiddling (adjusting/polishing/filing) the feed lips and foward ramp--they top-load real smooth! If you buy one of these get it off the shelf at Cabella's or Pro Bass Shop--they stock the latest stuff.

St
Even when you find, or modify an aftermarket mag to work, it won't stay working long. Tapco excepted, of course. They're excellent. Unless Promag has made some serious upgrades, theirs won't work reliably for long. I sell that brand and have had a lot of experience with their magazines for various guns. They just don't have good longevity. I've had springs fade, mag lips bend open or work harden and crack, etc.

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
FYI--I am making a coversion kit and adapter for Tapco 20/30 round magazines so that the mag will snap into the SKS like a regular AK mag. But there will be no mods to the reciever, just an adapter that snaps into the mag-well. I am cutting the duck-bills off of a couple tapco mags and metal bonding/fabricating/riveting something similar to the AK style hasp.

The mock-up seems to work fine, now I am in the process of moding an actual mag. I'm also going to mod a metal mag made by Pro-mag after this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

St
Someone has an kit like the one you mentioned

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
This sweet!
But mine drops in without drilling any screws in the stock.

I'm glad to see that it works.
I'm going to order one anyways.

ST
Id love a retrofit that has a release like an AK or AR, i know you can get the tapco oversized one, but its still kinda slow!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts