Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the middle of January, the wife thought I was over-reacting to WuFlu. The first weekend in February, she is fully onboard that we need to prepare and that it could easily go pandemic here in the States.

But an interesting line of thinking, pondering and debate are.... planning for life in 2020. Because..... unless our nation moves to wide-sweeping quarantine, we want to continue living life. This was the core topic of conversation between the wife and I for 48 hours over the weekend. I'm a 'planner'. Months in advance, I try to have our yearly calendar 90% set for what we will do in regard to recreation and travel. We are at that point in life where we are empty-nesters and we have the wherewith-all to experience God's great creation and each other. North America is all we have interest in.... as the rest of the world is Bat **** Crazy (except maybe Australia and Ireland).

This Spring, we have a week planned to explore Moab and the Grand Canyon. The big trip of the year is to round trip to Alaska and back. In the fall, we are tentative for the Florida Keys.

But again, conversations this weekend made us realize that all our planning could be scrapped. For instance, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that WuFlu goes crazy here in the lower 48 and Canada decides to close the boarder for anything except commerce. That would **** can the Alaska trip.

It also crossed our mind that we have very, very little confidence that motels, cabins and hotels will be properly cleaned and disinfected. That would **** can the trip to the Keys.

Moab and Grand Canyon..... This trip will probably set the norm for how we travel and recreate the next year or two. On a trip like this, we will be in our pickup and 21' camper, staying isolated, sleeping in our own bed, cooking our own food, etc...

So here is the question.... has the WuFlu caused you to rethink some of your plans for 2020? Or is it too early and the jury is still out?

For us.... everything just moved into the file folder of "pending", and what we do and where we go has, probably.... been forever impacted by the WuFlu.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Big John: very interesting subject. My wife and I have been discussing this situation at length since it first appeared and I am willing to bet multiple couples are doing the same. I purchased nitrile gloves and masks with multiple filters months ago, but we don't go out as much as we used to as our wants and needs have become less, and being exposed to whatever 500 of your closest neighbors at Costco are carrying isn't our idea of how to spend a Saturday.

We won't be travelling this year much since we are both still working, thinking about retirement in December. But in the meantime we are fortifying our little castle and this episode of nCov made us look at our supply situation, food, water, medical, etc., in a new light, so we are making changes there. With the rest of the world telling us there are too many tourists we don't have any problem staying here in the U.S. Did our travelling when we were in our 20s and 30s so most of our bucket list is crossed off.

I have found that my lady is gradually asking me questions when we go out of town to see the kids, like "Do we have this or that?" "Did you hear about that situation in the next state? what would we do if it came here?" It used to be up to me, now it's us. Some conversations are really interesting, such as if the power goes out (like in CA) and we can't get cash or gas, um, what happens next? Or if something happens to our local grid and the water pumps (not to mention the sewers system) has issues.....

Good luck to you and your lady and be safe on the road. I'm assuming you don't leave the house without a PDW and a few rounds of social media in it. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
So here is the question.... has the WuFlu caused you to rethink some of your plans for 2020? Or is it too early and the jury is still out?

For us.... everything just moved into the file folder of "pending", and what we do and where we go has, probably.... been forever impacted by the WuFlu.

Thoughts?.
Have a pretty decent vacation planned up for Yellowstone. Late Spring.

Too soon to say if & or how the virus will affect it.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
I believe (and have been saying for a week.and a half) that we will know one way or another by the end of Feb. (Actually Feb 23rd was my date picked and put into my calender, but with CDC ALSO being slow to report....)

I would not, have not, and have advised others not to change plans beyond Feb. (Kinda odd both making plans to stay home, and to do things.)

By then we will know IMHO.

SO, at most put of paying nonrefundable deposits for 2-3 weeks.
No biggy.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
Youngest, still living at home, wanted a birthday trip into Canada this weekend. It is way too early days to think of canceling, I decided.

Rather wish she had just wanted an iphone or other techno gadget right now though.

·
Staying Frosty
308 Posts
Paying attention to the UK situation right now. I read yesterday they are looking for something like 480 travelers who arrived in the country nine days ago from Chinese city Wuhan.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7957645/Hunt-480-Wuhan-travellers-LOST-Britain.html

My grandson who will play soccer in college this year is supposed to go to UK for a week in April to train.

If this crap doesn't start to peter out or UK blows up he can keep his ass home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been background-processing this for the past week or so. We have several 3-8 day lower 48 trips that I currently have no intention of cancelling, but will keep an eye on as each trip approaches. Most are hotel stays, so could be cancelled on relatively short notice with no financial penalty.

The big one on our radar is our teenage daughter's upcoming foreign exchange trip. She is set to leave for a year in Milan, Italy, beginning September 1st. Way too soon to make a decision about that, but we'll be keeping a very close eye on the entire area. The organization that this is arranged through is very cautious about sending kids into hot spots of any sort, so I'm sure they are also pacing the floor about this.

·
Owned by Dobie
140 Posts
Headed from Texas to New Hampshire in my rv in May to work the summer. Guessing/hoping this will have played out by then.

·
Grevcon 10
13,389 Posts
We're not really changing our plans. Going along like normal, but everything's on a hair trigger for action. Mostly just being way more aggressive disinfecting things. We didn't really have any big traveling plans or anything anyway. Focused on getting the house sold and building the new one. Hopefully it doesn't all go to **** and we actually get the building done.

The best thing possible would be for us to hold out normally until summer break for my kid's school. That'll make quarantine and isolation far easier.

·
That'll be the day...
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In addition to bigger plans are the daily things we plan to do. Case in point....

Annually the wife and I drop the $500 a piece for season ski passes. She is a skiing fanatic and I support her love.... cause she supports my love of motorcycle riding. 12-15 ski days a year is some very affordable fun.

In the last 48 hours the slopes gained 24-36" of new snow and we skied on Saturday. We did eat a Jimmy Dean Sausage Egg Biscuit before leaving the house and then we packed and ate sandwiches, carrots and grapes for lunch on an outdoor table. We stayed out of the lodges and away from people, except the lift chairs.

I know that virus' prefer cooler temps, over hot and humid.... but I have to wonder if 22 degree temps severely retard any viruses ability to survive on surfaces.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love hiking, backpacking, camping, mostly in remote areas. In fact before all this 2019-nCoV mess, I was saving up for a new tent, either a Big Agnes Bunk House (why the ugly colors, BA? Why??) or a Kodiak canvas cabin tent, but those funds have been redirected to preps and a molar crown I've been putting off.

I don't see any reason to stop hiking and camping, though, as long as it's away from campgrounds which I don't care for anyway. A long day hiking then snuggling down into a tent (I have other tents) with your dogs is a wonderful way to recharge and rejuvenate.

·
Grevcon 10
13,389 Posts
In addition to bigger plans are the daily things we plan to do. Case in point....

Annually the wife and I drop the $500 a piece for season ski passes. She is a skiing fanatic and I support her love.... cause she supports my love of motorcycle riding. 12-15 ski days a year is some very affordable fun.

In the last 48 hours the slopes gained 24-36" of new snow and we skied on Saturday. We did eat a Jimmy Dean Sausage Egg Biscuit before leaving the house and then we packed and ate sandwiches, carrots and grapes for lunch on an outdoor table. We stayed out of the lodges and away from people, except the lift chairs.

I know that virus' prefer cooler temps, over hot and humid.... but I have to wonder if 22 degree temps severely retard any viruses ability to survive on surfaces.
It does not. The colder the better. Just because it's harsh on you doesn't mean it's harsh on the virus. Viruses have been extracted still active from ice centuries old. Heat is energy. Energy breaks down fragile things. Cold hurts you because you're full of water. The virus is not.

·
Grevcon 10
13,389 Posts
So, the current policy of: "If you don't look for it it's not there." is destroying my plan. I WAS going to run things normally until there was a local case. Now I have no hope of knowing if there is a local case. So that's making me really uneasy. Also complicates my ability to do things like pull my kids out of activities/school when necessary. I presume that was their goal though.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
So, the current policy of: "If you don't look for it it's not there." is destroying my plan. I WAS going to run things normally until there was a local case. Now I have no hope of knowing if there is a local case. So that's making me really uneasy. Also complicates my ability to do things like pull my kids out of activities/school when necessary. I presume that was their goal though.
I was always assuming that this would be the case. Testing is almost always done after the fact.

Reactions: MissFilthyPrepper

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that given Iyaayas's job, there is zero way to truly prevent this thing from hitting my home if it were to get to that point.

Yes, I'll do what I can to prevent and treat but I am not planning on stopping life for it without a really good reason.

I leave Saturday for 2 weeks on the truck with him. It's been planned for weeks and I'm not giving up 2 weeks free of teenage girls.

We are still planning our summer vacations and possibly even a move out of Texas.

Life goes on and right now, we have so little actual facts that it just seems silly to go into hermit mode right now.

With that said, you bet your rear end that I'll have masks another things with me on that truck and that they will 100% be used.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Like colt:

I was expecting (inadequate and unsatisfactory) but SOME reflective data!
Well, its just what I was getting at in one of the other other posts on this...usually tests are only made on sick people, after they are sick, after they are in the hospital for a while. If you are an EMT, nurse, etc, there is a pretty low change you will know about a confirmed virus risk until AFTER exposure.

Reactions: MissFilthyPrepper

·
Grevcon 10
13,389 Posts
Well, its just what I was getting at in one of the other other posts on this...usually tests are only made on sick people, after they are sick, after they are in the hospital for a while. If you are an EMT, nurse, etc, there is a pretty low change you will know about a confirmed virus risk until AFTER exposure.
True, but action was to start with just a possible case and walked back if the test came back negative. They don't consider anyone a possible case, won't even tell the people working with the patient they're a possible case, won't even test now, let alone test in a reliable manner... So our only option is to pull the trigger completely very early on.

That's not good. All we need is for them to catch one of the first handful of cases to get out early enough to avoid serious probability of being infected. They won't even pull that off.

I figured my wife would be exposed to some degree needing quarantine. I wasn't expecting my first indication of such for her to go into ARDS.

·
That'll be the day...
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another ski day this coming Sunday..... with a complication. The wife's brother's business associates, gave him access to a condo on the slopes. They are flying up from San Antonio, where 300+ from Wuhan just landed. ..... and did I mention they are flying? With connections, they will have been in three airports and been around international travelers for a full day. And now we know COVID is airborne.

When we arrive, they will expect hugs and kisses and hanging out close quarters for 48 hours. The wife has given me strict orders to NOT mention COVID under any circumstances, unless they bring it up first. No masks.... No gloves..... Nada!

I suppose we will "POUND" Elderberry, Vitamin C, B Complex, etc.... before we arrive and while we are there. Nobody is touching my face.... I'm not touching my face..... I will shower twice a day and I will wash hands every hour, especially after shaking hands. Alcohol gel and Clorox wipes will be used liberally.

When I started this thread, the extended family dynamic and challenges never occurred to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The next 12 months are going to be big doings for my family. We have a son who is graduating high school in June and a daughter who is getting married in January '21.

We have a few big trips planned as well. We haven't made any deposits yet on the trips. For now we are taking a wait and see attitude.

In the meantime, we are doing everything possible to stay well with regard to boosting the immune systems, avoiding crowded places, and general hygiene and cleaning.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts