1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
news items affecting our food supply

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-malawi-grains-armyworm-idUSKBN14Y0DK

army worms destroying food in Malawi

***Malawi's maize crop, the staple grain for the impoverished nation, was devastated last year by a drought triggered by El Nino.

About 6.5 million Malawians, more than a third of the population, are dependent on food aid until this year's harvest in March, according to the United Nations' World Food Programme.

Malawi's outbreak follows one in neighbouring Zambia, where the military has been deployed to battle the bugs, and Zimbabwe.

The armyworms are caterpillars that "march" across the landscape in large groups feasting on young maize plants, wiping out entire fields.***

Africa just can't get a break.
re-introduce DDT anyone?

Reactions: Red*Lion

·
Red White and Blue
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reactions: gmc

·
Red White and Blue
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and Travancore, India

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...uring-Kuttanad-paddy-crop/article17022190.ece

***The armyworm menace is spreading fast in the already water-scarce Upper Kuttanad paddy fields, says Mr. Eapen.

The menace is spreading to the paddy fields in Kadapra, Niranom, Nedumpram, and Kuttoor panchayats.

Mr. Eapen said the speed at which these caterpillars were attacking crops in the region was unprecedented and is almost taken an epidemic proportion.

the wyrms don't like crossing puddles so they like dry conditions.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
re-introduce DDT anyone?
What good would that do? I doubt the farmers in those areas can afford that any more than they can the far less dangerous pesticides used on army worms here--if they could afford insecticide, they'd be using it.

One of the other issues in many of these locations is destroyed habitat or previous poisoning of the natural predators--birds, bugs, and nematodes.

·
Grevcon 10
14,193 Posts
What good would that do? I doubt the farmers in those areas can afford that any more than they can the far less dangerous pesticides used on army worms here--if they could afford insecticide, they'd be using it.

One of the other issues in many of these locations is destroyed habitat or previous poisoning of the natural predators--birds, bugs, and nematodes.
Growing multiple crops and rotating would have certainly helped. No country should be dependent on a single type of grain. Nor should they be planting the same crop over and over allowing crop-specific pests to grow their numbers year after year until they create a famine. These are pretty cheap methods.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
First, this country can hardly throw stones about monoculture.

Second, I don't think army worms are crop-specific. AFAIK, they will pretty much go after anything and everything that's any kind of a grass, but will switch hit with vegetables if the grasses run out.

What they mostly have to go after, of course, are the widely-grown staple crops in the various countries--here they'd be wiping out corn and wheat. In India it's rice, and in Africa it's corn and millet. All countries these days have vast areas with many fields of the same crop.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
Last summer the army worms marched though my area and devastated lawns everywhere, but in a month or so they recoverd. I can imagine wha they'd do to food crops, because they don't come back..

·
Registered
204 Posts
re-introduce DDT anyone?
Africa can't get a break because of the troubles they bring upon THEMSELVES. Their only bigger epidemic than malaria is corruption. Even though they are GIVEN the pesticides, and yes, they are given to them, they somehow don't find their way to any fields because the shipments are re-routed and sold abroad to line the pockets of local dictators... along with the diesel that was also given. The problem is a political one of leadership and nothing more. It's never been more or less than that in over two centuries.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has petitioned to get DDT into some nations and have been successful in Zimbabwe. But as rich as Bill is, he's no match for John DuPont that wants DDT gone.

See, the ugly truth that many know but the pawns and dupes are apoplectic to admit is simple: DDT is safe. Harmless. You can DRINK the stuff and it won't hurt you (I have - tastes horrid). It's a benzene based chemical first-cousin to gasoline so guess how easy it is to make? Simple molecule that's easy to make from existing equipment.

And that's the big problem! Easy to make means lower price and therefore profit margins. DuPont didn't like that so with a lot of political lobbying and a lot of junk science was able to get it banned for some really great long term profits.

The new pyrethrins, OTOH, are highly toxic. Pyrethrin is very much more expensive to make and sell ($28 vs. $3 for DDT) so it's very much more profitable. As farmers need pesticides to bring in harvests, they're a guaranteed, fixed, profitable market.

Remember, it's not what's good for Africans -- or Americans -- it's what's good for their pocketbooks.

Chronic Toxicity is no joke, but of course, they deny it like it was a joke. Pyrethrin is nasty stuff, but it's all we are ALLOWED to have, right now.

But have no fear. If more pawns and dupes get their way, we'll have more and more of this stuff banned and we'll see more and more army worms and every other kind of plague and pestilence around here, before long. Who knows? We'll probably soon look like Africa.

DS

·
Registered
657 Posts
Africa can't get a break because of the troubles they bring upon THEMSELVES. Their only bigger epidemic than malaria is corruption. Even though they are GIVEN the pesticides, and yes, they are given to them, they somehow don't find their way to any fields because the shipments are re-routed and sold abroad to line the pockets of local dictators... along with the diesel that was also given. The problem is a political one of leadership and nothing more. It's never been more or less than that in over two centuries.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has petitioned to get DDT into some nations and have been successful in Zimbabwe. But as rich as Bill is, he's no match for John DuPont that wants DDT gone.

See, the ugly truth that many know but the pawns and dupes are apoplectic to admit is simple: DDT is safe. Harmless. You can DRINK the stuff and it won't hurt you (I have - tastes horrid). It's a benzene based chemical first-cousin to gasoline so guess how easy it is to make? Simple molecule that's easy to make from existing equipment.

And that's the big problem! Easy to make means lower price and therefore profit margins. DuPont didn't like that so with a lot of political lobbying and a lot of junk science was able to get it banned for some really great long term profits.

The new pyrethrins, OTOH, are highly toxic. Pyrethrin is very much more expensive to make and sell ($28 vs. $3 for DDT) so it's very much more profitable. As farmers need pesticides to bring in harvests, they're a guaranteed, fixed, profitable market.

Remember, it's not what's good for Africans -- or Americans -- it's what's good for their pocketbooks.

Chronic Toxicity is no joke, but of course, they deny it like it was a joke. Pyrethrin is nasty stuff, but it's all we are ALLOWED to have, right now.

But have no fear. If more pawns and dupes get their way, we'll have more and more of this stuff banned and we'll see more and more army worms and every other kind of plague and pestilence around here, before long. Who knows? We'll probably soon look like Africa.

DS
Not only that but DDT, when used per directions on the label, does not cause the eggshells of predatory birds to weaken and fail--that's what got ti banned in the USA--but farmers weren't following directions. They were applying it at five to ten times the recommended strength.

Now for a cold-hearted side note. DDT would also combat malaria and save human lives in third world countries. Could that be the real reason it's banned?

·
Perception is NOT reality
689 Posts

More likely than not, they used a pesticide to kill off some other pest and it had the unfortunate side effect of killing off all of the armyworm's natural predators.

·
I have control issues
6,186 Posts
Sounds like they need chickens to get them bugs
That was my thought...they need to release an army of chickens to fight the armyworms. Double benefit: not only do you get rid of the bugs, but you get those nice, protein-rich EGGS from the chickens. And, if you have too many chickens, you can always EAT the extras! DOUBLE food source!

·
Sewing Machine Operator
218 Posts
I think that there is a possibility in 2017 that shipping is going to be one of the problems with food for the USA. Grocery stores practicing the “just in time” method of inventory control could cause all kinds of problems if there’s a disruption in the shipping industry, whether it be national or international.

CD in Oklahoma

·
Grevcon 10
14,193 Posts
That was my thought...they need to release an army of chickens to fight the armyworms. Double benefit: not only do you get rid of the bugs, but you get those nice, protein-rich EGGS from the chickens. And, if you have too many chickens, you can always EAT the extras! DOUBLE food source!
You would need a large chicken ranch with heritage breeds that won't fall over on their faces from the weight of their own breasts and would be healthy enough to survive being exposed to open air and sunlight. But, you could certainly set up a national chicken army and air lift them to hot spots as a QRF. They need uniforms though. Dress code would never allow this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here on cape cod the gypsy moths were insane this year. The trees looked like it was winter time during the late spring. Our chickens were eating good, so I like the idea of using chickens to eat the armyworms!

·
Registered
272 Posts
news items affecting our food supply

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-malawi-grains-armyworm-idUSKBN14Y0DK

army worms destroying food in Malawi

***Malawi's maize crop, the staple grain for the impoverished nation, was devastated last year by a drought triggered by El Nino.

About 6.5 million Malawians, more than a third of the population, are dependent on food aid until this year's harvest in March, according to the United Nations' World Food Programme.

Malawi's outbreak follows one in neighbouring Zambia, where the military has been deployed to battle the bugs, and Zimbabwe.

The armyworms are caterpillars that "march" across the landscape in large groups feasting on young maize plants, wiping out entire fields.***

re-introduce DDT anyone?
1/6 of US citizens benefit meal tickets.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts

This has not been helped by the fact that American and British colonialism really screwed over local governance in that region of the world, then corporations stepped in to finish the job. I would not say that they brought it on themselves....

DDT is still used to combat a number of things; it is just no longer used as a broad range insecticide.

See, the ugly truth that many know but the pawns and dupes are apoplectic to admit is simple: DDT is safe. Harmless. You can DRINK the stuff and it won't hurt you (I have - tastes horrid).

That is totally incorrect. While it is not immediately lethal (does not kill you right off) it has long term effects in both the human body and the environment. In soil it can persist as much as 30 years and being fat soluble it accumulates in living things as they consume others contaminated with it.

In humans it has been proven to be a know carcinogen, reduce sperm counts in males, contribute to increased rates of miscarriage in females, all sorts of hormonal and endocrine disruptions, and even causes a form of physical and mental developmental issue known as "cretinism".

It's a benzene based chemical first-cousin to gasoline so guess how easy it is to make? Simple molecule that's easy to make from existing equipment.

Actually, like many pesticided of the past, it is an organochloride. One of its most common distillate forms, for use, is petroleum based. A huge proportion of old insecticides were organochlorides and organophosphates.

DuPont was one of the world leaders in the production of DDT. I don't know where you get that info from. Most of the resistance to DDT came with the publication of a book called "Silent Spring" back in....like...the late 60's I think....

Again I don't know where you get your info. Pyrethrins are an organic compound derived from Chrysanthemums. They can be synthetically produced, but they are then called pyrethroids and are less bio degradable and more toxic. Pyrethrins are considered, on most scales, a very low toxicity to humans. They degrade quickly in the environment, are destroyed by both UV and cooking, and are not a know bio-accumulator. Most lethal reactions in humans come from inhalation by people with allergies (largely to the group of flowers it is derived from).

It is very inexpensive to make the non-synthetic version.

No its not.

DS
As a person who had to study pesticides for a professional certification, I just felt I had to comment on this post. I am by no means trying to target a specific poster; this post simply concentrated the most stuff I wanted to comment about.

Pretty much any of the information I listed here can be verified online. It is not a secret by any means.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts