Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 20+ years of veggie gardening I have never had one so productive as this year's. Even as young plants they looked very dark green and healthy. Bean and new potato production surpassed my wildest dream, My yellow sweet corn even had 2 ears on most stalks, something I've never seen. I got 8.5 lbs of shelled english peas off 100' of rows.

My pole beans even now in the boiling heat of Florida are still dark green and healthy when they're usually yellow or dead by now. They should make it all summer for a fall crop.

My tomatoes plants were so full it was hard keep them upright, and hard keeping up with processing. Even now there's 2 buckets in the kitchen to process.

I didn't do anything different this year than normal so I have no idea what happened. Earlier this season I was overwhelmed with stuff to process and lost some because I couldn't get to it. My summer peas and beans are already blooming and are looking great. What a year !!!!!!

Rick

·
Registered
93 Posts
You've been gardening 20 years and you don't know what is different? Weather, timing, nutrients, soil conditioning, varieties planted... nothing? Same soil/sand all 20 years? No ideas at all?

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, even after 20 years I have no clue the difference. Ive only been using this plot for 6 years, since I moved here. Of course every year's weather is different, so are every year's seed quality, rainfall, bugs, fertilizer, plant location in the plot, compost..............ect.

Every year something would do great, something wouldn't, no rhyme or reason on my part. It's just this year EVERYTHING surpassed normal production.

So you are welcome to make me look stupid but if I knew what caused the super production do you think I would have made the original post?

Rick

·
Registered
93 Posts
So you are welcome to make me look stupid but if I knew what caused the super production do you think I would have made the original post?

Rick
Not the intention. I just hate the thought of doing something right and not learning from it. I can't even imagine this scenario and not learning something from it. I know luck certainly does play a (sometimes huge) role in the garden, but so does effort. If nothing else, this is another reason I have to be more specific with my notes. Some perfect fertilizer ratio, brand or type of compost, etc. are all things I could easily forget the year later.

·
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
139 Posts
My cucumbers are out of control. I planted from seeds at the end of april and I already have harvested 3 or 4 with another 6 or 7 soon. My bush beans are big plants but no beans yet. Corn is doing well and I should be able to pick in a few weeks. My sugar peas all died tho, might be the MS sun and drought we have been having.

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No prob Rocks, sorry for the snippy response. I really have been doing the same things I do every year. The only difference is that every year I collect the neighbors live oak leaves and use them for weed and moisture control. By the end of the summer these leaves have pretty much turned to dust. I always till them as well as all my dead veggie plants into the soil, but I do this every year. This garden produced so much this year it was overwhelming. Container grown plants also did really well.

We'll see what happens next year to see if my soil has improved or if God just threw me a bone for all my hard work over the years.

Rick

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've only been keeping a veggie garden for 5 years and this year is the best I've ever had as well. My problem is that this is the first year I've done it in raised beds, first time with the square foot method and also I'm using brand new ultra-black soil I had delivered. We've had an unbelievable amount of rain this year too. So I don't know which of the above or if all of the above are contributing factors so I'm not sure I can really learn from this aside from doing raised square foot gardening from now on. My potato, tomato and cuke plants are insanely huge this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts