Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How different are the exams? If I'm being honest...how different are the study guides? I can get a 2012 Exam book for $3, and the $2016 is $30. Are the updates worth $27?

I know I'm being cheap...I prefer to think of it as frugal:)

Any help would be appreciated.

N2NIW

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,303 Posts
Question pool was changed. The info needed to pass the test is the same. If you take the test by memorizing the question pool there will be some questions that are different. If you prepare for he test by learning the material you shouldn't have a problem. Buy the old book and study. Then go to any of the many online practice test sites and see how you do.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,262 Posts
Goto eham.com and take the test for free. Each time you take it it changes the questions out of the 500 question pool.
I wouldn't buy anything, and the old book is worthless for you if you really want to pass and not take a chance.
All the info to pass the extra test is for free online. Just look.

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
Buy the cheap book, and download the free phone app with the test. Then study from the book, and test yourself on your phone. When you no longer make mistakes on the test app, you are ready for your test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was about to say grab the phone app to study. I use amateur exams pro to keep track of where I need help then study the individual parts I'm weak on. I'll have to look at where I found it but I found some great free packets to study from for free. They're a little wordier but they explain the concepts using the key phrases of the answer in bold.
I find doing this helps me but everyone learns differently. I've been a tech for years and kept taking the general test but could never get the code down enough to upgrade. Then after joining the military I let ham fall by the wayside. Now without the code and about 5 months of studying I hope to make the jump to extra as soon as I can find a local testing date.
Best of luck and 73s
KC9FJE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts