3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
10,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Some trees live a long time and I assume can be propagated.
This ancient olive tree is located on the Greek island of Crete and is one of seven olive trees in the Mediterranean believed to be at least 2,000 to 3,000 years old. Although its exact age cannot be verified, the Olive Tree of Vouves might be the oldest among them, estimated at over 3,000 years old. It still produces olives, and they are highly prized. Olive trees are hardy and drought-, disease- and fire-resistant — part of the reason for their longevity and their widespread use in the region.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I read this story from some other source yesterday, and find stuff like this fascinating.

I remember reading an article about how an ancient variety of squash was brought back in a similar way. Native Americans would bury clay pots of seed over the winter, intending to use it for next year's planting. But for whatever reason, this particular pot was never retrieved, and it stayed buried until discovered by archaeologist. Some of the seed was still viable, and it has since been reintroduced for today's gardeners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts